egomassive's Knytt Stories Plus mod

• 1097 Replies

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
Re: egomassive's Knytt Stories Plus mod
« Reply #675 on: September 13, 2014, 17:32:11 »
On a slightly more topical note, the general lagginess of KS+ and single-pass rendering makes it impossible to play my level, 'My Loving Hadron Collider' using it, as a sequence of it relies on timing with those big white explosions.

Interesting! I was able to play it fine. Have you tried disabling 'always use single pass render' in the settings menu? Admittedly, the sequence in question works whether I have that checked or not. Also, I was under the impression that the timing of those white explosions was somewhat random.

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: September 13, 2014, 19:33:17 »
They aren't; their flashes always go the same way! Believe me! :P

Maybe my laptop is a little slow these days. I think I tried toggling single-pass - maybe that's what made the rest of the level so laggy.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #677 on: September 13, 2014, 23:33:54 »
KS+ is certainly slower than KS. Even when using double-pass rendering, original KS is faster at screen transitions, and has smaller object flash times. I found many opportunities in the original engine for speed-ups, but they are far outweighed by the vast number of new tasks. :/

And yes, I'm a terrible speller.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #678 on: September 14, 2014, 05:54:11 »
They aren't; their flashes always go the same way! Believe me! :P

I was tempted to believe you, but luckily I didn't. Upon checking, the projectile directions are always identical, but the speed/inertia is indeed randomized. Possibly you were just unlucky in your testing?

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #679 on: September 14, 2014, 17:28:58 »
I don't think it's ever killed me in KS. I don't think I've ever survived it in KS+. Maybe in KS I'm able to drop out of the screen before any of them move into my line.

« Reply #680 on: September 14, 2014, 19:05:35 »
:33 < *sf just played my loving hadron collider to s33 if the explosions would work for him*

:33 < *the explosions worked perfectly and didnt kill him at all, but grabbing the gr33n particle and the umbrella was made a lot trickier by the lag from the scr33n transitions*

:33 < *sf wonders why talps would mention the explosions, of all things*

[mod]Removed unnecessary formatting[/mod]
Edit by not Mod: Removed unnecessary stupid remark from not Mod
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 19:32:07 by StraightFlame »

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
    • Twitter @Raicuparta
« Reply #681 on: September 14, 2014, 20:14:58 »
[mod]Removed unnecessary formatting[/mod]
Edit by not Mod: Removed unnecessary stupid remark from not Mod
I am confused.

« Reply #682 on: September 14, 2014, 20:36:35 »
The text was originally this color, which (opposite of not) Mod didn't like. So then i made an unnecessary stupid remark about how that was part of the whole Homestuck thing i was doing, which i then decided to remove, because it was unnecessary, stupid, unnecessarily stupid, and stupidly unnecessary. I then left an [edit] because "last edited by StraightFlame" with no actual edit is kinda awkward.

Anyways, how come the parts in Hadron Collider that are unplayable are different for me than for Talps? Is there a reasonable explanation for how that can happen?

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #683 on: September 14, 2014, 21:13:45 »
The entire post was in that color which made it seem to not add any distinct value to any part of the post. If it had stated an extra line without color explaining it, I wouldn't have removed it.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

« Reply #684 on: September 15, 2014, 03:39:27 »
I don't think it's ever killed me in KS. I don't think I've ever survived it in KS+. Maybe in KS I'm able to drop out of the screen before any of them move into my line.

Well I just tried out your level with both double pass and single pass, and had no trouble beating it either way.
Spoiler: But then again, (click to show/hide)

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #685 on: September 15, 2014, 10:15:56 »
(Gonna be humming that song all day now.)

I know that between laggy screen transitions and that explosion being mistimed, playing 'My Loving Hadron Collider' in KS+ became more trouble than it's worth. However, it may have been with an older version of KS+; don't think I've tried it in a while.

I feel a little bad for turning this thread down such a narrow road.

(What is love...)

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #686 on: September 16, 2014, 22:10:02 »
I've got the initial zoom level bug beat. Apparently, the software is not good at recognizing when a frame has started if that frame had just started a moment before. *shrugs* That's out of my hands. The menu is an example of a frame. The level selection menu is another. The actual game runs in a frame, and the cutscenes have their own frame too. When frames start they're supposed to check the zoom level and adjust themselves. So now, I send the command to "change" zoom levels during the initialization frame instead of "setting" it and expecting the menu frame to recognize that it has just started.

Now, it's time to work on the incredibly time consuming golden creature creation check bug. I'm going to have to adjust every single collectible item. :sigh:
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 22:11:54 by egomassive »

« Reply #687 on: September 17, 2014, 04:37:48 »
wooooooooo, thanks ego. *gives :hiddenstar:*

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #688 on: September 17, 2014, 11:10:37 »
KS+ 1.1.2 is here! :D

Updates include:
  • golden creatures that will appear on consecutive screens
  • better zoom handling on resets
  • better area ambiance handling on death
  • probably other stuff I've forgotten about

I've just hit on an idea to remove object flash without single-pass rendering. That would mean no more screen transition delay which is this mod's greatest drawback. It would be a huge undertaking though, so I'm not sure if I'll implement it. I will tinker with the idea and see if it works at least.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 11:13:09 by egomassive »

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #689 on: September 17, 2014, 12:00:36 »
I would love you to do it, but then I would also love you to get on with TToK!