egomassive's Knytt Stories Plus mod

• 1097 Replies

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
Re: egomassive's Knytt Stories Plus mod
« Reply #630 on: March 04, 2014, 06:54:51 »
Is this a bug or did I accidentally press the wrong button? I can find no solution.

It is as Fubaka says. You might be able to fix it by locating 'Format=2' in World.ini and changing it to 'Format=4".

The fact that you have a (virtually empty) [World] block at the bottom is a little worrying, though, and means you might not be able to find 'Format' at all. Is it possible you deleted the [World] section from World.ini?

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #631 on: March 07, 2014, 02:02:33 »
Sergio's on the right track. The [World] group must have been deleted somehow. The editor creates one backup of the World.ini called World.bkup. If you rename this file World.ini then you'll get an older version, but most likely it already contains the bad data. My advise is to start a new KS+ level, then copy the [World] section to the level you're having the problem with using a text editor like Notepad or Notepad++.

You can find the World.ini files inside your level's folder. Hitting ctrl+f in the level editor will open your level's folder. Hitting ctrl+e in the level editor will open your level's World.ini file in your default text editor.

Why do the tabs disappear? Well, the KS+ editor can be used to make normal KS levels. To make it easier to on level designers, the features that only work in KS+ disappear while working on a KS level. The format number dictates which version of KS your level works with. Format 2 is for official KS levels. Format 3 is for KS Extended levels. Format 4 is for KS+. Formats 0 and 1 were for older obsolete official versions of KS. You can also note while working on KS+ levels that the KS+ only features are pink in the tabbed dialogues.

Offline Ultigonio

• I'm sleepy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: March 09, 2014, 11:09:14 »
By the way, Ego, I've been working on my level, and I'm not sure what possessed you to make it so the crumbling blocks would break when the player shifts on top of them, but I'm extremely glad you decided to do that because it has made my level design options significantly more interesting.  Was it a choice based on allowing those types of blocks to be placed at the bottom of the screen?

Edit: 3/10/14 - By the way, is there any particular reason that you can't "fill" by shift-clicking with objects like you can with tiles?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 18:49:12 by Ultigonio »
Indefinitely Held Off:
Pouring
Complete:
This Level Plays Itself!

My SoundCloud

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #633 on: March 11, 2014, 01:56:26 »
By the way, Ego, I've been working on my level, and I'm not sure what possessed you to make it so the crumbling blocks would break when the player shifts on top of them, but I'm extremely glad you decided to do that because it has made my level design options significantly more interesting.  Was it a choice based on allowing those types of blocks to be placed at the bottom of the screen?

Edit: 3/10/14 - By the way, is there any particular reason that you can't "fill" by shift-clicking with objects like you can with tiles?

The fill functions remain the way Looki made them. Honestly, I never took the time to fully understand how they work. The same goes for the Undo function.

I'm not sure about shifting, but I wanted to prevent wallswims on scrolling to a new screen. If you had a line of crumbling blocks across two screens and the the one at the edge gave way just as you were about to enter the next screen, you'd probably be swimming in a crumbling block on the new screen. To avoid this scenario I made the blocks crumble immediately if the character is overlapping them after a screen change.

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: March 11, 2014, 13:21:37 »
I expect I'm a few years late to be asking this but, as I gather you're working on KS+ again, I thought there'd be no harm in asking (apart form looking a bit of a prat, anyway). Are you still accepting ideas for features you could incorporate into KS+ or are you firmly well beyond that stage now?

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #635 on: March 12, 2014, 02:14:07 »
I consider this project complete. The plan is to do maintenance only, but I've obviously done a little more. It wouldn't hurt to suggest features. Unless I love the idea I probably wont implement it.

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #636 on: March 12, 2014, 14:35:13 »
Well, I've thought for a while that it'd be kinda awesome to have a liquid (specifically lava) that rises slowly (aka. a little more slowly than those wall-climbing spikey-ball enemies) up the screen until it fills it to the top (and, by extension, kills Juni). Another way of putting pressure to act quickly on the player but with a different approach to the flying chasers. This isn't something you have to struggle to outmanouvre; you just have to move more quickly than it.

Thinking about it, it'd be nice if it could have the option to start somewhere off the bottom of the screen so you could have it chase the player up several screens without giving breathing room like using triggers would achieve...

But yeah, that's my idea.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 14:37:32 by Talps »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #637 on: March 13, 2014, 02:14:31 »
My initial thoughts are it wouldn't be to hard too make an object like that. However, to make it fill in areas as it rises, it would need to appear behind layer 3. The game isn't built for that. You could fake it with layer 2 set to Overlay, but that would be difficult to use. Then, I'd want waterfalls to shorten as the water rises. They aren't designed for that either.

I wonder if I could make a controller object that would cause any standard water object to paste itself into the background and rise a bit. That wouldn't allow for the water to start off screen though.

I'll think about it.

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #638 on: March 13, 2014, 10:07:05 »
I see myself putting Overlay layer 2 on top of layer 3 in places so that Juni can walk on blocks that stand in front of the flood; I've done it plenty of times to hide water blocks and/or glowing water effects behind oddly-shaped scenery (c.f. water in cracks in Sergio's mountain tileset in the latter half of 'I Chased the Moon'). In other places the liquid could rise to cover over scenery on layer 3. Using Overlay often forces you to think creatively about how to use the layers it leaves you with; I can't see this presenting an unusual challenge.

Surely a waterfall would just be hidden behind the rising flood, as long as it was on layer 4 or 5 and the flood on 6?

« Reply #639 on: March 13, 2014, 11:47:59 »
Thanks for making this mod! I'm currently working on my new level and just finished making my custom character, and it works great! (Yes, I only just discovered this last week >.<)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 12:08:09 by gamerjc21 »

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #640 on: March 13, 2014, 15:30:34 »
Well, I've thought for a while that it'd be kinda awesome to have a liquid (specifically lava) that rises slowly (aka. a little more slowly than those wall-climbing spikey-ball enemies) up the screen until it fills it to the top (and, by extension, kills Juni).

In my opinion, this is the sort of thing KS Ex is perfect for, since it's relatively easy to script and customise... I think rising water may even exist already in the example level, if my memory doesn't fail me.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #641 on: March 14, 2014, 02:19:43 »
A good point from Sergio, KS Extended already does rising water. But if I recall correctly, Talps is programming impaired. Sure I could say figuring out the rising water thing is a great opportunity to get his feet wet in the world of programming. (Puns! :sigh:) I'd rather say, Talps is a great designer and story teller. With KS and KS+ he doesn't need to know how to code to make games. Then again, GrayFace generously does the KS Ex scripting for those who ask.

Thanks for making this mod! I'm currently working on my new level and just finished making my custom character, and it works great! (Yes, I only just discovered this last week >.<)
I'm glad to hear it. I think your levels are becoming quite good. I even made a post here on the forums to draw attention to them.

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
« Reply #642 on: March 14, 2014, 02:31:05 »
Something I'd like to see is some kind of dropping/dripping object that kills Juni but doesn't require the eye power-up.

Offline Ultigonio

• I'm sleepy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: March 14, 2014, 04:32:57 »
Honestly, as I think about things I wish were in KS, one thing that comes to mind is more enemies which change in some way when the player has a powerup - like Bouncer #4, whose jump height increases when the player has a double jump.  Being able to control the intervals at which certain enemies fire their projectiles would also be nice - I've never been very fond of the random element present in so many of KS's enemies.

Also, I just found a bizarre glitch.  It's hard to reproduce, but essentially, by maneuvering between two screens and the screen loading taking a certain amount of time, I'm able to collect things on the exact opposite side of the screen.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 07:44:00 by Ultigonio »
Indefinitely Held Off:
Pouring
Complete:
This Level Plays Itself!

My SoundCloud

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: March 14, 2014, 14:44:41 »
After all your ideas this one might seem ordinary, but I sometimes miss upside-down versions of objects 15 and 16 from bank 16.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 18:59:25 by Polana »