egomassive's Knytt Stories Plus mod

• 1097 Replies

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
Re: egomassive's Knytt Stories Plus mod
« Reply #570 on: August 26, 2013, 07:51:20 »
I'm having trouble getting a custom font to work. ...
:ohnoes: I'm having trouble with them too. It could be that the instructions on how to use them are wrong, or it could be that there is a fault in the program. I've put together a package including a sample level and the KS+ source so I can ask GrayFace to kindly look at and possibly fix KS+ (since I no longer can do anything myself.) I'm providing the link here in case anyone reading this may be so kind as to take a look. There are directions to where the problem may lie in the download.

FontTest.zip 2.9MB

PS: I extend the license of the original KS source to this source. Feel free to use and modify it, but if you make your own game with it you can not use any of the graphics or audio embedded in it. Read the original license found with the KS source for more details.

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #571 on: August 27, 2013, 09:45:27 »
I don't think I'll do any knytting until I get my PhD in Sep 18. Then I'll take a look at it if noone does that before me.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #572 on: August 28, 2013, 00:21:49 »
I don't think I'll do any knytting until I get my PhD in Sep 18. Then I'll take a look at it if noone does that before me.
Sounds good to me.

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: October 05, 2013, 10:29:01 »
I fear it's far too late but I've noticed a bug while testing the level we're working on. If you pick up a coin, leave the screen and return without picking up more coins, the coin will respawn. This might only happen when the second screen has a coin in it, too. And maybe when the first screen contains only 1 coin.

You can still only collect 100 coins but it means you don't have to find them all, because you can collect one a hundred times. Also, I think it also breaks coin shifts so that they work without subtracting coins, though I wasn't the one who programmed the particular coin shift so I won't say for certain.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #574 on: October 05, 2013, 17:45:48 »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #575 on: October 06, 2013, 01:14:20 »
@Talps: I'm having difficulty recreating this issue. I even used customized coins to no avail. It may be a specific coin or set of coins that are causing this issue. You may be able to get around it by using different coins. Every 25 coins belong to different set.

@Sergio Cornaga: Yikes! The incorrect editor images are easy to fix. The golden creature will require MMF2 be fixed. I made Triggers to act like Shifts, so only being able to activate one at a time is part of the design.

Triggers and Overlay are a complicated subject. Most of the time everything in the game from backgrounds to objects exists on one game engine layer. Only things like the Item bar exist on another of these layers. When Overlay is active game design layers 2 and 7 are created on an engine layer above the regular one. A side effect of this is objects on layer 7 cannot collide with objects on other layers. Normally if Juni stands on a Trigger the engine can detect a collision and react accordingly. But if the Trigger is on the Overlay then there is no collision as far as the engine is concerned. There are some things you can do with Triggers and Overlay:
  • You can activate a layer 7 Trigger with a lower level Sign, but the spawaned object will not spawn to layer 7.
  • You can activate a layer 7 Spawn object with a lower level Trigger, but the spawned object will be created at the depth of the Trigger.
  • You can activate a layer 7 Delete object with a lower level Trigger, but it will only delete things it overlaps on layer 7. Not very useful.

I know I can't program this anymore, but these errors and the one found previously are making me consider looking for access to MMF2 again. I'd be interested to know if someone with the Standard version can open the source. I programmed it with the Developer version, and though I tried not to make it Developer only territory, there's no way for me to know if I succeeded. Even worse I'm afraid a new version of Developer wont open the source either. This software is too expensive for me to buy an incompatible version. *goes to ebay*

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: October 06, 2013, 01:22:18 »
Hmm, well I don't want to give spoilers for the level but when it's released I'll let you know where I found the coin errors.

Offline Firecat

• Every bit is important.
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: October 07, 2013, 01:08:14 »
Here's a level that probably reproduces the coin errors. (It's a part from the level Talps mentioned, heavily modified to explain the glitches and not give spoilers about the original enviroment.)
There's 110011 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary, Those who don't, and those who confuse it with ASCII.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #578 on: October 07, 2013, 05:00:13 »
Thanks Firecat. I'll take a look at it.
Edit: A star for you Firecat. The problem is rather complicated. Collectibles are tracked as bits in 32 bit signed integers. This means I have 31 ones and zeros to store information in. To keep things simple I store data on 25 coins in 4 integers. In MMF2 I had to work with them as decimal numbers which is easy to mess up. Each coin has a decimal number inside it representing one of the bits in the integer. When the game decides weather to make Coin 42 or not it checks the integer for the bit representing Coin 42. I did this by Stripping away any part of the integer above the bit in question, and seeing if the result is at least as big as the decimal number represented by Coin 42's bit. The problem is that it's checking for a number 128 too large. So, if the player collects Coin 42 and any Coin from 33 to 41, then Coin 42 will not respawn. The randomly disappearing Coins above 42 are not random at all. Since adding a bit twice will set it to '0' and the bit above it to '1', Coin 43 stops spawning after collecting Coin 42 twice. Collect Coin 42 another 2 times and Coin 44 will stop spawning but 43 will.

Here's the big kicker, this happens in every set of 25 Coins! 17, 67, and 92 do the same thing. Temporary solution: Force the player to collect the next Coin smaller at the same time they collect a problem Coin.

Here's a fix for 2 of the errors Sergio found. Download the attachment, un-zip it, and place the folder in "Knytt Stories\Data\Objects\". This is a really minor fix for the images of 2 collectibles as seen in the editor. At some point I'll include this in a new version of KS+, but I want to fix some of the bigger problems before I do that.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 06:39:43 by egomassive »

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #579 on: October 17, 2013, 15:20:17 »
Damn, it was 65636 (instead of 65536). X) Took me long time to notice it.
Coins fixed: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/44735333/ks/KS%2B.rar
As for signs font, it's wrong in that test level. It must be "Sign=" instead of "Font=" in world.ini.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #580 on: October 18, 2013, 01:07:15 »
Thanks so much GrayFace. I'll check it out and update the KS+ homepage as soon as possible. *gives star*

It was the instructions that were wrong with the custom Sign font. That's a relief. I was worried that I'd never bothered to test it --which would've been a terrible oversight.

Edit: Coins 17 and 92 are still broken.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 05:42:29 by egomassive »

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #581 on: October 18, 2013, 22:30:43 »
Fixed now.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #582 on: October 19, 2013, 02:23:56 »
KS+ 1.0.4 is now available on its homepage.

This version includes fixed icons for the level editor, corrections to the instructions text, and most importantly GrayFace's update for KS+. He corrected the re-spawning Coins bug.

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #583 on: November 07, 2013, 18:34:18 »
I've fixed a graphics error in 19:48: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/44735333/ks/KS%2B.rar
When facing left the shooting animation didn't have black border.
And the reason I've noticed it is that I'm stealing the golden creatures :) I'm very impressed by all the work you've done on them. It never occurred to me before just how big number 50 is.
I'm in doubts about the creature for 6:8 dropper. In KS+ it's harmless, but I think it would be better as usual - dangerous when it falls and harmless afterwards, at which point you can take it.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 18:35:59 by GrayFace »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #584 on: November 08, 2013, 00:23:48 »
Thanks GrayFace. Sergio mentioned the 19:48 bug, and I hadn't checked to see if you fixed it in the previous version. At that time I was more concerned with the game-breaking coin issues. I'll update the release site soon, and bestow a star upon you.

Your suggestion for the self-dropper is a good one. I didn't want players to be able to collect it and die at the same time. Making it harmless was a quick and questionable decision. Feel free to change it in KS+ if you want to. I don't think there are any levels it will mess up.