egomassive's Knytt Stories Plus mod

• 1097 Replies

Offline Firecat

• Every bit is important.
    • View Profile
Re: egomassive's Knytt Stories Plus mod
« Reply #555 on: May 06, 2013, 00:24:24 »
I think it means the exact value of Opacity/Alpha channel on Hologram'd Juni, in a scale of 0 to 128. (In some photo manipulation programs. It would read more like "170 out of 255")
There's 110011 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary, Those who don't, and those who confuse it with ASCII.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #556 on: May 06, 2013, 00:41:51 »
behave exactly like Juni
Are you talking about the hitbox?
No. I'm talking about the fact that she becomes semi-transparent when you activate the hologram. If you want your Custom Character to do that then you need to make the second half of the sprite sheet semi-transparent.

Also, another question: What does "85/128" mean?
That's the transparency value on a scale of 0 to 128. This is how transparency is declared internally in the program, which is very weird. 32 bit png files store transparency for each pixel as an 8 bit number, 0 to 255 in decimal. The larger the value is the more opaque the pixel. This is known as the alpha channel. MMF handles transparency with what appears to be a 7 bit number except that 0 to 127 is the decimal number range that fits into 7 bits. Also, the opacity weakens as the value increases --the opposite of most programs. Anyway, I included the MMF version of the the transparency value in case it might be of benefit to somebody.

P.S. Thanks to Firecat for fielding the question as I was typing my response, except that in most programs 86/255 is the approximate value since it's backwards. Hmm, maybe I should remove that part since it really is more confusing than helpful.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 00:46:06 by egomassive »

« Reply #557 on: May 10, 2013, 18:03:11 »
Sorry for flooding the thread with these questions (hopefully this is the last one), but how exactly do you put a custom character in a level? I keep doing something wrong for some reason.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #558 on: May 10, 2013, 20:41:31 »
There are 3 step to using a Custom Character.
Step 1.) Put the sprite sheet for your character in the Custom Objects folder.
Step 2.) Declare your characters in the World.ini this takes the form of:
            [Custom Character]
            Image1=Knytt.png
            Image2=KnyttCat.png
            Image3=Straightflame.png

See image Step2.png below.
Step 3A.) To start the level with a Custom Character add:
            [World]
            Character=Knytt

See image Step3A.png below.
Step 3B.) To change characters during the level use a shift:
            [x999y1000]
            ShiftCharacter(A)=Knytt

See image Step3B.png below.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #559 on: May 20, 2013, 07:41:33 »
KS+ 1.0.3 is out! I was just about to say goodbye to MMF forever when I discovered a problem with Custom Character holograms. I've fixed that and I've moved layer 7 objects in front of the Attachment when Overlay is active. This is how it was in version 1.0.1, but I forgot why I had made it that way and fixed/broke it in 1.0.2. The reason is so you can possibly make torch effects with COs.

There are some minor bugs in the editor still, but I've been too busy to work on it. It will remain as is, but I intend to release the source code for anyone willing to whittle away their lives figuring out how it works. Even if you're familiar with MMF2, it will probably melt your brain despite my ample notations.

I will also release the KS+ source in the future, but I want to give KS+ a chance to establish itself as the standard KS format before fourth party updates appear. (I'm a 3rd party so anyone after me must be a 4th party, right?) I will give them out on request if you can't wait for the brain melting insanity. (Actually, I think my KS+ code is pretty tidy considering it was written with MMF.)

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: May 20, 2013, 18:35:01 »
If you're third then who's second? :P (Sorry.)

« Reply #561 on: May 20, 2013, 21:33:23 »
Wouldn't a third party to a third party just be called a third party to a third party?

(The word "third" seems kind of weird to me now.)

Offline sphere

• View Profile
« Reply #562 on: June 02, 2013, 20:48:05 »
I just tried this mod, and found a small glitch. When Juni run from one screen to another, there is a delay, maybe just 0.0X seconds, but I really feel the delay, which doesn't happen in original KS and makes the play a bit not fluent. Is it my computer's problem?

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #563 on: June 02, 2013, 23:25:00 »
I just tried this mod, and found a small glitch. When Juni run from one screen to another, there is a delay, maybe just 0.0X seconds, but I really feel the delay, which doesn't happen in original KS and makes the play a bit not fluent. Is it my computer's problem?
This is a known issue. KS+ creates objects at the same time as the backgrounds which prevents objects from appearing a frame late, but the load time now depends on the number of objects and the speed of your computer. For levels made for the original KS, uncheck "Always use single pass render" in the options menu to have the same performance as the original.

Offline sphere

• View Profile
« Reply #564 on: June 03, 2013, 09:54:42 »
I unchecked "Always use single pass render", it seemed to work well. But after some time, when I went to some specified screens, the delay happened again.  I'm playing Bennity's Goastly Trials, There is two examples

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #565 on: June 03, 2013, 19:05:43 »
I unchecked "Always use single pass render", it seemed to work well. But after some time, when I went to some specified screens, the delay happened again.  I'm playing Bennity's Goastly Trials, There is two examples
I've played through Ghostly Trials to the specified screens with single-pass rendering disabled. I can't discern any lag in movement, but "object flash" is present. I checked KS+ against KS 1.2.1 and noticed that object flash is worse in KS+. :( It's really not surprising. KS+ is a bigger program than KS. There's always more going on behind the scenes. I did my best to keep it fast, but some levels, especially those with lots of water objects in use, will be better on KS.

Water objects are the worse offenders in all versions and mods of KS. I strongly advise level designers to use them in moderation.

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: June 04, 2013, 00:15:24 »
Does that include all objects in the water section?

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #567 on: June 04, 2013, 06:33:27 »
Water objects are the worse offenders [of object flash] in all versions and mods of KS. I strongly advise level designers to use them in moderation.
Does that include all objects in the water section?
All objects will flash, it's just more noticeable with the water objects because they're large and tend to be used in great numbers to cover large areas. Appearing a frame late allows players to see what should be obscured by waterfalls or completely hidden by water tiles. Those splash objects --which are meant to go at the bottom of waterfalls-- usually aren't too obvious about it. Other objects that can be a problem are the disappearing blocks in the Objects and Areas bank.

I recommend using tileset tiles to fill in your oceans whenever possible. It's also much better to use one large object than many small ones, especially with Custom Objects. Rendering lag in KS+ shouldn't be much of an issue unless acrobatics need to be performed across screen boundaries. That's typically poor level design anyway.

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: June 05, 2013, 01:31:17 »
Rendering lag in KS+ shouldn't be much of an issue unless acrobatics need to be performed across screen boundaries. That's typically poor level design anyway.

That, I dispute.

On the whole, I've found only a few levels where the screen-transition lag in KS+ is serious enough to provoke turning off Single-Pass Rendering. Saying that, my level 'My Loving Hadron Collider' is impossible without turning it off 'cus of the way I used explosion objects (it's also a generally terrible level for KS+ 'cus of the huge numbers of objects on every screen, which is entirely my fault). So it can be a major issue, but not often, in my experience.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 01:35:07 by Talps »

Offline plural

• twice shy
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: August 25, 2013, 20:47:53 »
I'm having trouble getting a custom font to work. I don't know if I'm doing it wrong or what. I made a .png and put it into the custom objects folder of the level and then said Font=whatevername.png in the [World] section of my World.ini at the bottom. I also tried putting it at the top of the list in the [World] section and both times it didn't show up in the level when testing it or saving it and running KS+ on its own. I could just be doing something wrong, but it doesn't seem so to me. Maybe this is because I didn't create this level in KS+? I switched the format to 4 but that didn't seem to have an effect. Oh, and I just updated to the newest version of the editor and executable.

If it matters I was trying to see how a colored font would look or if that would work so I edited the font included in templates section to a red color and I found that it didn't work. I thought maybe it rendered all text black and ignored color so I drew a line through the ABCs and abcs to check that and it didn't show up. So after that I made it black again but left the line and that didn't show up.

Is anyone using custom fonts besides ego?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 20:50:26 by plural »