egomassive's Knytt Stories Plus mod

• 1097 Replies

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
Re: egomassive's Knytt Stories Plus mod
« Reply #540 on: April 05, 2013, 11:18:37 »
Level Editor Plus 1.0.0 This may be the editors final update, so I bumped it out of beta.
  • Supports the new choose-your-own-map-color feature. See the Misc. tab.
  • Fixes a bug that occurred when you chose go-to coordinates with the script editor open.
  • Adds buttons to the Warp tab to automatically fill in the word "Artifact1" for Flag Warps.
  • To help in choosing in-game map colors, numbers representing the color the current gradient produces are displayed at the top-right of the tilesets.

@ Dow: I'm sure lots of people are using 1024x768 resolution. Trust me though, fullscreen mode looks much better than scaling to 170%. There are extensions that can scale much better than MMF's native abilities, but they drain performance. Don't feel left out. I smashed the editor into a size that fits your screen.

Offline dow

• View Profile
« Reply #541 on: April 06, 2013, 16:19:10 »
If scaling reduces performance then I'd probably not use it after all, because I play Knytt at old computer where even too much 'rain effects' slows my game a little ;)

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #542 on: April 07, 2013, 15:48:05 »
Hey, what the... I just tested a level that uses object 3 on bank 15 (the invisible block), and in the testing window I could see object 3!  Is this a new setting that automatically turns on when your testing, or is it an error?

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #543 on: April 08, 2013, 03:36:04 »
You're thinking of object 16:13 Headgrinder. Object 15:3 is the non-disappearing version of object 15:10.

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: April 16, 2013, 12:46:38 »
Ok, I DID find a valid issue this time, I swear.  :D  Thought it is so minor you may just ignore it.  When updating tilesets (i.e. you are editing a tileset, save it, then go back to an already open editor) I can get an edited tileset to reload by swapping to a different tileset then back real quick, however the preview edge does not reload and continues to show the old tileset until you restart the editor. 

And did you add any kind of import or mass screen copy function?  I was in a conversation with an old user about using content from a level he never released in a level I'm working on and I realized I would have to recreate his or my stuff from scratch if there wasn't a way to do this. 

One day you'll stop being bugged to reinvent this sophisticated wheel.  :D

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #546 on: April 16, 2013, 16:25:32 »
Headgrinder, I'm aware that graphics in previews don't always update. The previews share 3 image objects which are loaded with the correct gradient and tilesets. They will only load an image from file when the current image is different from the one needed. This helps to keep the program running quickly since reading from hard drives takes time, and it's only problematic if you edit gradients and tilesets while editing the level, and so, it will stay like this.

To update preview bars without restarting the program, move to a room where at least one preview bar will use a different image than the one you have edited. Then, return to the room you were working on.

For your second question, I don't intend to make any batch screen copying processes. I champion the use of Xoft's Level Composer for this sort of thing. As you pointed out, there's no need to reinvent the wheel.

Edit: Maybe, I could force preview graphics reloads when users toggle preview visibility.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 16:32:46 by egomassive »

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: April 17, 2013, 01:52:16 »
No biggie, it was just something I noticed.  *Shrug*  And if Xoft's Level Composer can batch copy than that is good enough for me.  I wasn't aware of that.

« Reply #548 on: May 04, 2013, 13:01:56 »
Small question: In a custom character file, why do you also need a 2/3 transparent version of every "sprite"?

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #549 on: May 04, 2013, 15:12:22 »
Small question: In a custom character file, why do you also need a 2/3 transparent version of every "sprite"?

I believe that's the version you control when the hologram is active.

« Reply #550 on: May 04, 2013, 15:26:21 »
I believe that's the version you control when the hologram is active.
Yeah, i think so too, but in the template it says nothing about the hologram, just "The bottom half is 66.6% transparent" and "85/128".

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #551 on: May 05, 2013, 04:10:37 »
Sergio's response is correct. Custom Objects can't adjust their transparency, so you need to make them transparent yourself. A Custom Characters is nothing more than an elaborate CO.

Yeah, i think so too, but in the template it says nothing about the hologram, just "The bottom half is 66.6% transparent" and "85/128".
Don't question it. Just do what I tell you to do. *laughs Diabolically*
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 04:14:41 by egomassive »

« Reply #552 on: May 05, 2013, 10:07:51 »
So, it's still possible to just make him completely white with a black outline?

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #553 on: May 05, 2013, 18:39:45 »
So, it's still possible to just make him completely white with a black outline?
You can do whatever you want. The hologram half of a Custom Character sprite sheet doesn't have to be a semi-transparent duplicate of the top half. That only applies if you want your character to behave exactly like the default character, Juni.

« Reply #554 on: May 05, 2013, 20:07:55 »
behave exactly like Juni
Are you talking about the hitbox?

Edit: Also, another question: What does "85/128" mean?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 21:31:20 by StraightFlame »