egomassive's Knytt Stories Plus mod

• 1097 Replies

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
Re: egomassive's Knytt Stories Plus mod
« Reply #525 on: April 03, 2013, 04:40:34 »
If there is already a way to get a map tile to be a certain color already, though, I'd like to hear it.

You could create a room with a gradient that colour and then spoof the coordinates.

« Reply #526 on: April 03, 2013, 05:10:02 »
That doesn't work like you'd hope since you have to visit the room with the spoofed coordinates beforehand to make it appear in the map in that color. If you go to the actual room it'll appear the normal color. And I'd much prefer to just select the color myself than this method, that's for sure.
SG's difficult KS levels:
Very Hard: Dark Sea, Industral Trap.
Lunatic: Dark Sea 2, Going Left.
Very Lunatic: Safety 1, 2, and 3.
Misc: AdvancedAmidst the Clouds, Candy Town.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #527 on: April 03, 2013, 21:32:17 »
@ SecretGlitch: The map color is the average of the center of the gradient. KS+ scales the image down to a 3x3 square. The screen tint is applied. The center pixel is then matched to a 65 color pallet. I should let you set the color manually. A good automatic method was my first concern because most designers don't bother with such details. (I just realized Attachments might affect map coloring. I'll make sure that they don't.)

With map spoofing, the gradient of the first room entered at a location is used on the map. Say you have a house's interior and exterior at the same location. If you start inside, then the map will show the interior gradient's color. If you start outside, then the map will show the exterior  gradient's color. It doesn't matter which screen is at the actual coordinates.

Edit: KS+ 1.0.2 This version allows you to pick a map color. Attachments would appear behind Layer 7 objects if Overlay was active. I've changed this, but now I'm having second thoughts. I fixed something else days ago, but I don't remember what it was. This is how to choose a map color:

MapColor=#
   Chooses the color a room will have on the map
   # is a number between 0 and 64
   Red+(Green*4)+(Blue*16)
   Red, Green, and Blue are on a scale of 0 to 3
   A value of 64 is identical to MapVisible=False
   This instruction must be in actual map location.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 22:35:56 by egomassive »

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: April 04, 2013, 02:01:23 »
On the topic of expanding the features of the map, it'd be nice if it could do a bit more. Say, if you could place markers on the map, either as a player or a designer, so as to leave hints for the player or reminders for yourself (as the player).

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #529 on: April 04, 2013, 05:25:40 »
Talps, I've given the idea of map notations a great deal of thought in the past. It was a feature that I wanted. Questions of how to interface with players and designers, how to present information and customize it, how to program it and how much automatic info gathering should be done; I never came up with satisfactory answers to any of them. Ultimately, I decided the best solution was to leave the feature out.

You could designate special rooms by using a specially colored gradient. This would need to be covered completely if it doesn't look right for your level. But now, you can designate a map color to mark special rooms without using a special gradient.

« Reply #530 on: April 04, 2013, 05:39:57 »
I almost had the same thought about needing markers but the color designations are a powerful enough guide, IMO.

Also you forgot to update the download link on your website to KS+102.zip, egomassive.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #531 on: April 04, 2013, 11:36:42 »
I think hide desktop should be available when running the game from the editor, since it doesn't mess with the editor layout like true fullscreen mode does.

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com

Offline dow

• View Profile
« Reply #533 on: April 04, 2013, 17:26:16 »
I'm using this mod and have one problem and one question:
1. Scaling options don't work. Is it broken for me only or generally problem with the code? And if this is going to be fixed.
2. How was the mod created? Are there Knytt Stories' sources available anywhere?

« Reply #534 on: April 04, 2013, 18:53:58 »
2. How was the mod created? Are there Knytt Stories' sources available anywhere?

http://niffpage.greywool.com/files/Sources/

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #535 on: April 04, 2013, 19:01:39 »
1. Scaling options don't work. Is it broken for me only or generally problem with the code? And if this is going to be fixed.

If you're talking about scaling the window size, it works perfectly for me. Perhaps you could go into more detail about your problem?

Offline Firecat

• Every bit is important.
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: April 04, 2013, 19:11:16 »

http://niffpage.greywool.com/files/Sources/
Also, i think the source files already come with the latest version of the original KS.But they will look like unreadable files without the program it was made with.
There's 110011 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary, Those who don't, and those who confuse it with ASCII.

Offline dow

• View Profile
« Reply #537 on: April 04, 2013, 19:35:45 »
Thanks for the link to sources. I forgot it's MMF and not C++ - it's surely the reason why it's not ported to linux :(

About my problem with zoom option: it's just not highlighted in menu. I use old 15'' screen. Or maybe it's supposed to work only with levels designed for KS+?

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #538 on: April 04, 2013, 22:33:07 »
@ SecretGlitch: Oops. I didn't publish the changes to the website because the file was still uploading. Then, I totally forgot to do it. Fixed now. Thanks for notifying me.

@ SergioCornaga: It's a technical issue. When KS+ is running in test mode it doesn't require the fancy tricks that allow it to do scaling and fullscreen, so it skips them. Hiding the desktop relies on the fanciness that get left out. I could change it, but this late in the game I'm afraid of breaking something else, and not discovering it while I can still fix it.

@ dow: The zoom function disables itself if your screen resolution is too low to handle it. You must have 1200 horizontal pixels to see 200% zoom, 1800 pixels to see 300%. It looks absolutely wretched if it tries to scale beyond your screen's capacity. It would stop at the screen's side but continue scaling vertically distorting the play area. Scaling to non-multiples like 150% also has terrible results, some pixels are doubled while others aren't.

Offline dow

• View Profile
« Reply #539 on: April 05, 2013, 09:09:31 »
@ dow: The zoom function disables itself if your screen resolution is too low to handle it. You must have 1200 horizontal pixels to see 200% zoom, 1800 pixels to see 300%. It looks absolutely wretched if it tries to scale beyond your screen's capacity. It would stop at the screen's side but continue scaling vertically distorting the play area. Scaling to non-multiples like 150% also has terrible results, some pixels are doubled while others aren't.
Yes, I use 1024x768 resolution, so this is the reason. However the (about) 170% option could be still useful because now I have to use the fullscreen option which enables similar scaling mechanism on LCD monitors (plus it's annoying to switch the resolution every time you want to see desktop, plus some minor issues). So I wonder if the scaling quality (of MMF?) is much worse than the one LCD is using.

And, of course, the question how many people around here is using 1024 resolution to bother you to implement it ;)