egomassive's Knytt Stories Plus mod

• 1097 Replies

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
Re: egomassive's Knytt Stories Plus mod
« Reply #510 on: March 16, 2013, 12:06:28 »
I've not been keeping track up this for a while so I hope I'm not too late to report a bug in the game.

If you use the old third party tools to change Juni's colour, and then activate the hologram, the hologramatic version uses the default sprite colours. (This isn't the case in the original game; I checked it just now).

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #511 on: March 16, 2013, 15:25:06 »
If you use the old third party tools to change Juni's colour, and then activate the hologram, the hologramatic version uses the default sprite colours.
I'll look into it. Originally I added the Knytt from Knytt as a second built-in character. He had color swapping too, so this probably broke when I later removed him in favor of custom characters.

Offline rainulous

• I never picked up the key.
    • View Profile
    • Hartje Music
« Reply #512 on: March 16, 2013, 17:40:02 »
Wait, Knytt was a built-in character? Is there a way to still have him as the character?
Thanks for the stars, everyone!

Online Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
« Reply #513 on: March 16, 2013, 18:39:38 »
Just checking to make sure this isn't a small bug but ...

The F12 coordinates toggle won't actually toggle unless you move to a new screen or die. Is it supposed to behave like this or is it supposed to toggle on and off regardless?

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #514 on: March 16, 2013, 21:46:10 »
Ok, here is a long shot, probably too hard to fix issue:  what are the chances you could fix the wallswimish bug that happens when using tilesets with angles, such that if you are going up a ramp into an adjacent screen that continues the ramp, you end up in the floor?  I was thinking if the game could load the first row of tiles of each adjacent screen "off camera" so to speak, the game would know where to put the character on the next screen. 

Meh... that will probably be too much work and will slow down performance.  :/  :shrug:

Offline Firecat

• Every bit is important.
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: March 16, 2013, 22:15:30 »
Wait, Knytt was a built-in character? Is there a way to still have him as the character?

Check the Features Demo or the Character Collection for the Knytt spritesheet. It's not exactly ``Built-in´´ but it works well.
There's 110011 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary, Those who don't, and those who confuse it with ASCII.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #516 on: March 16, 2013, 22:32:38 »
@ Purple Ink: The object that I use to show the coordinates has issues with disappearing. Something else has to cause the screen to refresh, like the edge highlight object. I was surprised that it was working like it should, but I think I must have been testing it with Tints enabled which would make me miss these issues.

@ Headgrinder: I don't think I can draw collision masks outside of the screen. It would also slow down the rendering process which is the last thing I want.

@ Rainulous: Yes. Refer to the Ship Parts level found on the page where you get KS+. You can play as the Knytt in that level. Also, there are instructions on custom characters in the KS+ Instructions.txt included with the KS+ download. As Firecat pointed out, the Features Demonstration can help too because it features in game character switching.

Edit: Progress Report: I've adjusted the up and Down Key Press Objects as well as added a Block User object to prevent players from messing up choreographed sequences. I found the problem with applying skin and clothing colors to the hologram. Currently I'm testing every OCO. It's pretty tedious work, but I've already discovered a few errors so it's time well spent. I haven't worked on the F12 coordinates issue yet.

Edit: Progress Report: I've finished all the testing I had planned, but I lost some of my progress at some point. So, I'm going to double check everything. Showing coordinates shouldn't be a problem anymore.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 19:10:09 by egomassive »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #517 on: March 21, 2013, 22:43:02 »
KS+ is officially out of beta! Get Knytt Stories Plus 1.0
OK, I really just ran out of beta version numbers, but I had to do it at some point. This version includes:
  • Numerous fixes for OCO's. I'm really shocked at how many issues I found.
  • Adjusted Up/Down Key Press objects, and added ability to block user input.
  • Removed templates from KS+ download.
  • Tweaked F12 behavior.
  • Fixed custom skin and clothing colors on hologram.

Offline willxinc

• Will 'XCS'
    • View Profile
    • Self Hosted Site (On Rarely)
« Reply #518 on: March 22, 2013, 01:25:57 »
Woahhhhhhhhhhh.
Well that was unexpected, you know you could've just did 0.10.1 right?
Ah well, testing and good job as usual.

Offline Firecat

• Every bit is important.
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: March 22, 2013, 14:40:29 »
I think it wold be a interesing addition if you could make an object to only block the W / D keys, so you could control the hologram / umbrella on an otherwise interactive sequence.
There's 110011 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary, Those who don't, and those who confuse it with ASCII.

« Reply #520 on: March 22, 2013, 16:13:55 »
Don't know if this was covered or not, or if it's a problem or just something that has to be like this, but spawn blocks only work for the highest value spawn placed on the screen. As in, if you had the A, B, and C triggers on the same screen and the A, B, and C spawn on the same screen, only the C spawn block would work. And if only A and B are on the same screen, only the B spawn block would work. Otherwise, the sprites spawn at the designated spot in the script.
SG's difficult KS levels:
Very Hard: Dark Sea, Industral Trap.
Lunatic: Dark Sea 2, Going Left.
Very Lunatic: Safety 1, 2, and 3.
Misc: AdvancedAmidst the Clouds, Candy Town.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #521 on: March 22, 2013, 21:18:17 »
@ SecretGlitch: That's a major bug. :/ *star for bug report*

Edit:
Get KS+ 1.0.1 These kind of bugs are so frustrating. I had, "Does Trigger ID = Spawn ID," instead of, "Does Spawn ID = Trigger ID?" The first expression will compare the ID if the active Trigger with the ID of the last spawn object created. The second expression compares the ID of any spawn object with the ID of the active Trigger. :sick: I'm going to do some C++ programming now to cheer myself up.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 00:22:48 by egomassive »

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: March 25, 2013, 12:17:09 »
Noticed this in the last version; don't know if it's been fixed/noticed. ctrl+s to toggle sound doesn't work when the monitor is blacked out with crtrl+x.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #523 on: March 25, 2013, 20:47:48 »
@ Talps: That's not really a bug, more like an oversight. When the menu bar isn't visible, neither are its functions. Some things, like Ctrl+R, have been made to work regardless. I agree, muting should work at anytime.

Edit:
@ Firecat: Sorry I didn't respond sooner. Your object idea isn't necessary. Directional Key Press objects override user input already. The Block User object will mainly prevent users from jumping, walking, and (de)activating tools.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 21:07:35 by egomassive »

« Reply #524 on: April 03, 2013, 04:01:06 »
A question and suggestion:

Exactly how does a map square map calculate what color it should be for a certain screen? It's giving me some colors I outright don't expect. I imagined it would be the average color of the gradient but some things don't seem to turn out that way and it's hard to predict when you have a very dynamic gradient.

And my suggestion is to allow the player on a screen to override the default color for the map square and pick their own color to use. It'd help make sure the map screens are the right color if they seem to not be what you want and allow the map to segregate areas that may be similarly colored. If there is already a way to get a map tile to be a certain color already, though, I'd like to hear it.
SG's difficult KS levels:
Very Hard: Dark Sea, Industral Trap.
Lunatic: Dark Sea 2, Going Left.
Very Lunatic: Safety 1, 2, and 3.
Misc: AdvancedAmidst the Clouds, Candy Town.