egomassive's Knytt Stories Plus mod

• 1097 Replies

Offline willxinc

• Will 'XCS'
    • View Profile
    • Self Hosted Site (On Rarely)
Re: egomassive's Knytt Stories Plus mod
« Reply #480 on: March 04, 2013, 19:36:42 »
Just a note about your instructions, shouldn't the image size be 1200*480? (seeing as the screen is 600*240)

Great work though, sorry to hear about the extensions though, was looking forward to alpha blend-modes.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #481 on: March 04, 2013, 20:40:32 »
Just a note about your instructions, shouldn't the image size be 1200*480? (seeing as the screen is 600*240)
A margin is necessary because when Juni travels off screen the room does not change until the next frame. If she's traveling fast she can move a few pixels in a single frame. So, if your Attachment is exactly twice the screen size, there's a chance of a line of background showing. The vertical dimension has a larger margin because she can move faster vertically.

Offline ixMarcel

• I'll get you during my next save game!
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: March 04, 2013, 21:33:55 »
Is there a way to upgarde the KS+ mod without downloading all the "Objects" folder stuff itc. ? Just the needed files? If You can do it: I suggest You to make something like update option in menu of Knytt Stories  ;). Or alternative download for those who already have KS+.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #483 on: March 05, 2013, 01:52:37 »
Is there a way to upgarde the KS+ mod without downloading all the "Objects" folder stuff itc. ? Just the needed files? If You can do it: I suggest You to make something like update option in menu of Knytt Stories  ;). Or alternative download for those who already have KS+.
Those other files don't amount to much. If I compress just the executable it's 4 MB compared to 4.4 MB. I'm all about saving bandwidth, but this is too little to fuss over. I used to have the example levels included, so it could be worse. I am considering moving the OCO templates to a separate download, but not until I make the rest of them.

As for adding a different update feature to KS+, I'd rather not. I don't plan to make any updates after the end of this school term. Moreover, I wont be able to update since my access to MMF2 is drying up. I'm at a point where I should stop adding features. From here on it should be bug fixes only.

Offline plural

• twice shy
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: March 06, 2013, 07:18:02 »
This is amazing. I never realized how much more immersive an experience the zoom could be with the hide desktop option. Also the fact that it removes the border makes it soooo much easier to align things with the edges (exposing my hideous misalignment in Orientation that Sergio kept pointing out but I couldn't perceive correctly until turning on the "hide desktop" option and removing the borders).

Also, I don't know if this is with the current version or just KS+ in general but I created a series of images that use a layer 7 co to hide Juni and then two shifts (shift-on-touch) on either side to "select" the previous or next screen. In 1.2.1 the tick before the layer 7 CO is loaded is always there but it is almost never there in the newest KS+, I wish I had tested these screens in the last version before updating to this one to know if it was recent changes but it's amazing how it's nearly imperceptible and I'm always looking for it. I just want to say thank you for this. Without this I probably would have given up on this level a long time ago. I'm seriously considering making the level KS+ only even though I can't think of an overriding feature that I need it's just that it loads the COs so much faster.

Great work.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #486 on: March 06, 2013, 14:53:40 »
@ Plural: I'm glad to hear it's loading faster. There is a speed improvement in 0.9.7 that I haven't mentioned. Sounds are always loaded on the second rendering pass now. I realized quite suddenly that there was no reason to update atmosphere and music on the first pass, and it is a big source of slowdown for me. Incidentally, slow object deletion hasn't made it to the official releases, because I can't detect a performance increase, but I fear many bugs with that feature. It's also likely that Windows runs faster in "Hide Desktop" mode.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #487 on: March 07, 2013, 09:13:30 »
Playing with tints and attachments has made me very excited about working with this mod.

I found a bug that you probably couldn't test for. When the game starts and zoom was last set to 3x, the menu initially appears in the corner of the window and it sometimes fails to load levels. This is not an issue for 2x zoom.

Finally, I've found the inclusion of room co-ordinates when testing levels really helpful. What do you think about also including them when playing levels normally when cheat mode is enabled? It would save me time when beta testing levels for others.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #488 on: March 07, 2013, 16:25:05 »
I found a bug that you probably couldn't test for. When the game starts and zoom was last set to 3x, the menu initially appears in the corner of the window and it sometimes fails to load levels. This is not an issue for 2x zoom.
I had a similar problem with 2x zoom. I had to reorganize the zooming handlers to add the remembered zoom and hide-desktop features. Surprisingly, the remembered zoom level was the most problematic. When starting in 3x zoom it skips the 2x zoom stage which wasn't possible before, hence I'm not surprised. I never figured out why starting with mixed zoom levels breaks the level selection menu, but that problem disappears when it zooms correctly.

Finally, I've found the inclusion of room co-ordinates when testing levels really helpful. What do you think about also including them when playing levels normally when cheat mode is enabled? It would save me time when beta testing levels for others.
That's a good idea. Beta testing and bug reporting are better done with coordinates. It would be better if you didn't have to sift through a level in the editor to find them. I wouldn't want to put it in cheat mode because you'd have to know the cheat code to use the feature. I don't want to let players access test mode either because they could find secrets by revealing the collision mask. ... I'll think of something.

Edit: Here's KS+ 0.9.8! It hopefully fixes the 3x zoom issue without breaking anything else. (I don't have a monitor large enough to test 3x zoom. :/ ) I'm not sure what was wrong with it, but I've reworked and simplified the sections of the program that deal with zooming, fullscreen, initializing, and test mode. Incidentally I fixed a bug with exiting fullscreen mode when opening the installation menu that I added in the last version. Oops!

You can toggle the screen coordinates with the F12 key in normal an test modes.

*gives star to Sergio for bug report*

Edit: Found a bug while playing "Cosmic Meltdown". Having multiple objects 6:9 and turning off the hologram near one, causes them all to shoot. Seems to work correctly if you approach without the hologram. Will fix it, but until then, if you're playing "Cosmic Meltdown" with KS+ you'll have to switch to original KS for the last section.

Edit: Level Editor Plus is updated to include support for the new Attachment and Tint features, 0.9.3. It also has a check box to make OCOs harmless. I discovered a bug with the Attachments. They couldn't be turned off! I'm not sure how that one got by me. Anyway, KS+ 0.9.8b is available with a fix for that. Get them both at egomassive.com/ks. The 6:9 bug I mentioned earlier hasn't been fixed yet.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 08:49:02 by egomassive »

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: March 09, 2013, 23:05:51 »
For some reason I can't test levels from the editor. I click the 'test' button, set Juni's starting point, and then the game fails to open. I've just re-downloaded both the editor and the game but it hasn't fixed the problem.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #490 on: March 10, 2013, 01:26:50 »
For some reason I can't test levels from the editor. I click the 'test' button, set Juni's starting point, and then the game fails to open. I've just re-downloaded both the editor and the game but it hasn't fixed the problem.

To into 'Worlds/EditorSettings.temp' and make sure the information matches the name of your Knytt Stories Plus executable. It should probably look like this:

[ego]
Executable=Knytt Stories Plus.exe

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: March 10, 2013, 02:30:40 »
That got it; cheers, Sergio.

Offline Ultigonio

• I'm sleepy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: March 11, 2013, 08:59:15 »
Okay, wow.  You've actually reignited my desire to create a KS level with this mod, I love it so darn much.  It won't be Pouring (yet) but it'll be neat, I promise!

(Oh, by the way, I can't seem to adjust the screen tint transparency.  In fact, there doesn't seem to be any difference between any of the "Ink" settings....  Am I missing something?)  Solved!  I am a sillyhead and my Knytt Stories + was not updated.

Edit: (And also, would it be possible to have an inverse Area Ambiance object?  One that mutes the sound as you get closer to it?)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 11:26:28 by Ultigonio »
Indefinitely Held Off:
Pouring
Complete:
This Level Plays Itself!

My SoundCloud

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #493 on: March 11, 2013, 12:11:51 »
Edit: (And also, would it be possible to have an inverse Area Ambiance object?  One that mutes the sound as you get closer to it?)

Can't you just achieve that by putting objects everywhere except the area where you want there to be no sound?

Offline Ultigonio

• I'm sleepy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: March 11, 2013, 12:42:38 »
Can't you just achieve that by putting objects everywhere except the area where you want there to be no sound?
Theoretically yes, but it could become a slight issue if your screen is already loaded with Custom Objects.  It's less a thing of necessity and more one of convenience.
Indefinitely Held Off:
Pouring
Complete:
This Level Plays Itself!

My SoundCloud