egomassive's Knytt Stories Plus mod

• 1097 Replies

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
Re: egomassive's Knytt Stories Plus mod
« Reply #420 on: January 22, 2013, 23:24:18 »
About fonts: A Cyrillic font is already done, included in KS Ex.

Offline BloxMaster

• Master of the Bloxes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: January 22, 2013, 23:47:53 »
Yeah, that's why I wasn't really going to push the idea, Ego. It's a good idea, but not entirely useful or practical in most scenarios.

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #422 on: January 25, 2013, 23:59:26 »
Just noticed that large objects used as foreground layers (like in BloxMaster's recently added An Attempt At Art) don't look in the editor how they will in the game, which was actually true in the old editor as well.  Is that an easy fix?

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #423 on: January 26, 2013, 01:33:20 »
I knew about this, but I've never dug into that code. There's also a problem with custom objects in preview panels bleeding over. I guess I should make an attempt to fix it.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #425 on: January 26, 2013, 12:48:01 »
I knew about this, but I've never dug into that code. ...
I'd completely forgot, but I had to dig into the visible Custom Object code to add the preview panels. It's intense! My brain is requesting a sabbatical after overhauling it again. I've also added buttons to clear tileset warnings. And, you can now safely open multiple instances of the program.

Get Level Editor Plus 0.9.1

Note: COs will only appear in the preview panels if they are set in the visible row or column. So, if you place a fullscreen CO in the center of a screen it will not appear in the preview panels of any adjacent screens.

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: January 26, 2013, 16:25:53 »
I'm just amazed you keep going man.  That's why your a rockstar!  XD  Most people would have shrugged their shoulders and said, "oh well, I've done enough," or something like that.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #427 on: January 26, 2013, 18:50:00 »
As long as they have beta version numbers, I intend to fix any problems that arise. Thanks for pointing out the CO issue Headgrinder. I'd become so used to it that I didn't recognize it as a fault.

In case you missed it, Level Editor + 0.9.1 is available.

On the topic of a Linux build. It's not working. I followed all the instructions --there weren't many, and the Linux build option doesn't appear. I don't know if the compiler is even compatible with all the extensions I've used, or where to find that information. My plan is to release the source files when I'm done with them. Maybe someone who knows more about it can make a Linux build.

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #428 on: January 27, 2013, 04:42:13 »
I haven't tried Anaconda, but I remember reading some brief information about supported extensions on Anaconda page. If an extension isn't reimplemented in Anaconda, it won't work on Linux. A question remains whether it may work on Windows anyway after export. So, try building for Windows first.

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: January 27, 2013, 11:15:53 »
Thanks for trying it.

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: January 27, 2013, 19:34:51 »
So, this is an odd side thing that probably doesn't matter.  I was playing The Great Work, and opened KS+ to compare climb styles, and the ctrl+z zoom wouldn't work.  It was greyed out in the drop down menu.  Once I closed Great Work, it worked.  *shrug*

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #431 on: January 27, 2013, 19:46:29 »
I guess I could have looked in the forums. ... After having to install a stupid extension viewing program, I was allowed to see a comprehensive list. This is what's missing:
  • Pixel Object: Colors the mini-map.
Obviously, this isn't an important feature, so if I can figure out why Anaconda isn't working I can make a Linux build of KS+.

The level Editor is a different matter. It needs:
  • Scintilla: The engine behind the script pad.
  • Overlay Redux: Important to the flood-fill function of the map editor, possibly more.
  • Color Selector: Brings up a dialogue for selecting colors in the script dialogues.
I'd have to cut-out and patch-up a considerably amount of the editor to work around these extensions. I wont be making a Linux export of the KS+ level editor. I believe Nifflas's original editor can be converted to Linux without changes. If I get KS+ working on Linux I may look into that.

@ Headgrinder: KS+ wont let you zoom if your screen size is too small. If you ran KU in fullscreen mode, then KS+ was probably reading the virtual dimensions KU imposed. Open KS+ first and you shouldn't have an problem, because it only checks your screen size when it initializes.

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: February 03, 2013, 03:11:31 »
So I've tried a few things... updating kse+, looking for directions... and not finding them :/, and I can't get the level preview to work.  Any clues?  I'm running off a relatively fresh install, and haven't edited any ini files or renamed anything...

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #433 on: February 03, 2013, 06:38:55 »
@ Headgrinder: With a fresh install there should be no file editing or renaming. I'm doing a fresh install right now to make sure. In the mean time, the Readme.txt in the KS+091.zip* tells you how to install, which is mainly to install KS 1.2.1 first, then merge the "Knytt Stories" folder in KS+091.zip with it. To use Level Editor Plus simply open KSLE+091.zip* and drop the executable in your "Knytt Stories" folder. You must install KS and KS+ for full functionality.

* = Latest version at time of writing.

I'll update if I discover something during my fresh install.

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: February 03, 2013, 22:05:03 »
I found the problem.  And I have a suggestion.  The problem is that the readme.txt says "If you want to make egomassive's mod your primary version of Knytt Stories, then open your Knytt Stories folder and rename "Knytt Stories.exe" to "Knytt Stories 121.exe"."  This causes the preview to not run.  Secondly, for my suggestion, I didn't have the readme.txt at first because when you open the ks+091.zip, the readme.txt and ks+ instructions.txt are not in the Knytt Stories directory which means they would be sitting in the Program Files directory if I simply copy the ks+ files over into the fresh install of Knytt Stories.  Yes, you have a KS+091 directory before that, but to install KS+ you have to start with a fresh installation of Knytt Stories, which means when I installed it, I just opened up the ks+ zip to Knytt Stories and copied what was in that into the fresh Knytt Stories directory and the .txt files got left behind.  So, in other words, I think there is some awkwardness happening here, though it could be just me.  I think you would be better off eliminating the Knytt Stories directory from the zip so that the .txt files are in with the rest (which is where I think most of us would want to keep them anyway) and either leave it up to the installer what to call the Knytt Stories + directory, or else include renaming the fresh Knytt Stories directory to something else in the directions.  And if we rename Kytt Stories Plus.exe to Knytt Stories.exe, is there a way to tell the editor to use that exe?  Can you include that in the readme.txt too?