egomassive's Knytt Stories Plus mod

• 1097 Replies

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
Re: egomassive's Knytt Stories Plus mod
« Reply #405 on: January 20, 2013, 05:52:34 »
1) I wanna to say that your mod is great and I am thinking about making my next level in it (those creatures blocking blocks really got me).
2) Is it possible to run your mod on Linux ? My brother who is using Xubuntu wants to try it too.
1) Some of the simpler additions are the most useful.
2) Looking into it. My Linux experience is shallow. I'm downloading a runtime environment called Anaconda, which is apparently what Nifflas used to make KU multi-platform. I make no promises.

« Reply #406 on: January 20, 2013, 15:40:52 »
Downloaded yesterday - This mod is AWESOME.  I can't imagine making a game in the original anymore. You've improved so much by adding triggers and allowing for creature modification. Great job.

For those who haven't experimented yet, I will say that it is dead easy to use these new features. Very intuitive and well-documented.

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
« Reply #407 on: January 20, 2013, 18:21:15 »
I can't wait to start seeing levels for this mod!

Offline Widget

• View Profile
« Reply #408 on: January 20, 2013, 18:46:53 »
There are already a few out there. as listed in the levels for mods thread. Excluding ego's example levels there are 5 6 finished;
Spoiler: Finished Levels (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Formatting Key (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 02:19:28 by Widget »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #409 on: January 20, 2013, 22:11:34 »
You can add I Chased the Moon by Talps to your list Widget.

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #410 on: January 20, 2013, 23:14:47 »
Very exciting.  I found out that the last level I was working on when my laptop crashed has been salvaged off the failed hard drive, so I'll be starting to do some work on it for ks+.  XD

Will the Level designed for KS Mods be the only place for posting KS+ levels, or will we get our own little nook on the forum?  Especially if it becomes a thaaang?

Offline Widget

• View Profile
« Reply #411 on: January 21, 2013, 02:18:51 »
You can add I Chased the Moon by Talps to your list Widget.
Oops, I got a little rusty while everyone was playing KU :oops: Thankyou for the metaphorical kick up the backside.

Will the Level designed for KS Mods be the only place for posting KS+ levels, or will we get our own little nook on the forum?  Especially if it becomes a thaaang?

I don't know anything for sure but I doubt there'll be a separate subforum for KS+ levels. As things stand at the moment, just post them in the level releases forum (ideally with "KS+" in the thread title) and then chase me up if I don't get them added to the list quickly enough.

If it'll make things easier for people I could try asking whether the list could be stickied.. I'm sorry that it's all a bit half-baked, I only started the list as a thankyou to everyone who helped me find the levels so it's always been a bit lacking in forethought.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 02:24:01 by Widget »

Offline Dj Gopher

• View Profile
« Reply #412 on: January 21, 2013, 08:24:38 »
Does this support non-english characters, like Japanese, for example?
That would be a big bonus in my opinion...
:P

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #413 on: January 21, 2013, 12:29:28 »
I think someone with time on their hands could make a font file for it.  For in game use at least.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #414 on: January 21, 2013, 16:48:30 »
@ DJ Gopher: There's a complete explaination in the KS+ Instructions.txt that comes with KS+. If you look at the font image below you can see there are lots of characters English speakers don't normally use. You can replace the characters you aren't using with kanji. I realize there isn't room for much, but it may be enough for a few sentences. I suppose if you're really careful you could place characters within a Sign in columns too.

I'm pretty sure this is not the current font image I'm using. I don't see the ampersand any where. I guess the next thing this project needs is a complete template collection including fonts.

@ Talps: To make original KS levels with KSLE+ choose the "original KS" bullet when starting a project. If you're level says format 2 in the World.ini then all the parts of the dialogue pertaining to KS+ disappear. Just be sure not to use any of the new objects.

Offline willxinc

• Will 'XCS'
    • View Profile
    • Self Hosted Site (On Rarely)
« Reply #415 on: January 22, 2013, 03:59:06 »
I've noticed a few more things as I've been messing around in KS+.
Firstly if I open 2 different levels and the script tab is open, it will sometimes switch the world.ini file to the other one and begin editing it.

Another one is about an undocumented but really useful feature:
Trigger Delete Objects.
I found this in the editor and it does exactly what it says it will do, delete objects placed under it when a trigger s activated. Works perfectly for the custom-objects I tested it with as all non-solid objects (I think). When you try to get it to delete a solid object (such as invisible-wall) it won't delete it.

Example of it here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?h1eyvh9drqyl5n3

First room is an example of the delete-trigger working and deleting one of the system-objects you added (1 way path) along with the custom door object.
The second room deletes the custom door object as well as 2 invisible-walls. It deletes the door fine, but unlike above, does not delete the invisible walls.

Just thought I'd let you know.

Oh and on the topic of un-documented stuff. What's with objects 248-251? The WASD blocks? No idea what they do, but they seem useful.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #416 on: January 22, 2013, 06:41:58 »
You're really putting KS+ to the test Willxinc. Thank you. I never considered what would happen if you opened two instances of the editor with the script panels open. It uses a temp.ini to write temporary script changes to. All instance of the editor will use the same file. I better change that. Each world should have it's own temporary script. *gives star*

The KS+ Instructions.txt is mainly for new script instructions and graphical guidelines, but I suppose I should describe every new object as well, especially if an object isn't covered by any of the example levels.

Objects 0:248-255, simulate key presses when Juni collides with them. I didn't have a clear reason for adding them, but I thought creative people could find good uses for them. The arrow objects, 0:252-255, are not one-way objects, though they can be used to that effect.

For your other issue, there's a good reason the delete object doesn't work on those invisible blocks. They aren't there. The object is created when the screen is, but then it draws itself into the collision mask and destroys itself. If you use object 16:13, your gate will work correctly. This object only stops Juni, but you can layer on bird and creature blockers as well. By the way, that example is really neat.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 06:44:33 by egomassive »

Offline willxinc

• Will 'XCS'
    • View Profile
    • Self Hosted Site (On Rarely)
« Reply #417 on: January 22, 2013, 17:24:49 »
Thank you for creating such an amazing mod (Thanks to Nifflas as well for creating such an amazing game / editor).

As to Objects 0:248-255, that is really interesting, could be used for tutorials and such. Also, is it possible to make triggers linked to flags? (as in they only activate when a flag has or hasn't been triggered?).

Also thank's for your explanation on the invisible blocks, that's what I thought it was doing but I wasn't sure.
Something that'd be nice would be the ability to use even more tilesets   X-P

Offline BloxMaster

• Master of the Bloxes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: January 22, 2013, 20:56:50 »
Unfortunately more tilesets per screen would totally break how the level's file format works.

I have my own suggestion..but obviously it'd be up to ego to implement it and only if he wanted to. All screens currently possess a few things (even if just zero or null): Tilesets, Ambiance, Music and the Gradient. My proposal is to override some/all of that based on a flag set.

Let's say a series of screens have Gradient 1. It makes it look daytime. Similarly, Tileset 1 is in use. It makes it look daytime. You get the idea.

A shift at some point in the level makes it 'nightime' by changing Gradient 1 to 2 in those screens, and Tileset 1 to 2 in those screens, by setting a flag. Here's what the ini pseudo code could look like:

Code: [Select]
[Flag 1]
Replace Gradient=1
Set Gradient=2
Replace TilesetA=1
Set TilesetA=2

It occurs to me this is easily done with shifts, warps, and duplicated screens, but it's really a mess sometimes. In anycase, I'm sure a practical balance for it could be reached.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #419 on: January 22, 2013, 23:23:40 »
That's an interesting idea BloxMaster, but it's easily done with duplicate screens. Also, consider that using duplicates screens allows you to change everything. Switch to nocturnal creatures. Change what NPCs say. Add flames to torches. Close drawbridges. etc.

@ Willxinc: Activating Triggers only if a Flag is on is already possible.
  • Use the Flag to switch you to an identical screen when you enter the screen.
  • The original screen does not have the Trigger.
  • The duplicate screen has the Trigger.
As long as the Shift that enables the Flag is on a different screen from the Trigger, it will work great.