egomassive's Knytt Stories Plus mod

• 1097 Replies

Offline toenail

• View Profile
Re: egomassive's Knytt Stories Plus mod
« Reply #391 on: January 14, 2013, 15:18:01 »
Already trying out the new info+ screen. This is great.

I also noticed some improvements I had missed apparently like the disappearing blocks. I have to find a use for them.
Help on all object is also great.

However, I have noticed a strange behaviour for the spiky ghost (bank 12 obj 13).
It starts slightly in a different position than intended when playing with KS+ 0.9.0 (a couple of pixels left and down).
It works fine with KS+ 0.7.3 which I had previously. I tried creating a level from scrach using both standard level editor and the new 0.9 but the result is the same.
In my case, it causes a wall fly for the monster and of course a "slight" drop in the level difficulty ;)

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #392 on: January 14, 2013, 15:35:46 »
However, I have noticed a strange behaviour for the spiky ghost (bank 12 obj 13).
It starts slightly in a different position than intended when playing with KS+ 0.9.0 (a couple of pixels left and down).
It works fine with KS+ 0.7.3 which I had previously. I tried creating a level from scrach using both standard level editor and the new 0.9 but the result is the same.
In my case, it causes a wall fly for the monster and of course a "slight" drop in the level difficulty ;)
It makes no difference to KS+ which level editor you use. Originally I wasn't going to make an editor mod, but the large number of new scripts was making KS+ unfriendly to casual designers. Now it's the most friendly! I'll look into that ghost issue.

Edit: I've created the splash page for KS+. It needs some graphics and a description for the editor, but it's up and running. However, I'll have to change the Info image to point to egomassive.com/ks instead of egomassive.com/ks+. I don't know if it's a protocol limitation or a Wordpress limitation, but it refused to let me add the + sign.

Edit: Toenail, nice catch on the "spikey ghost". I remember screwing that up now. *gives a star.* Now that I have 2 things to fix I'll update KS+ soon.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 20:16:47 by egomassive »

Offline willxinc

• Will 'XCS'
    • View Profile
    • Self Hosted Site (On Rarely)
« Reply #393 on: January 16, 2013, 01:18:08 »
Some issues I've noticed are:
 - hitting Q to access item bar sometimes triggers the dark overlay with the ? on it (not always, seems random)
 - hitting E to access navigation results in either nothing happening, edge overlay (same as H), or the map showing up (seemingly randomly)
 - hitting reset in the menu, resets the zoom size as well (would be better if we can pick to do this or not)
 - In the Feature Demonstration the blocks that should be invisible to fish and birds doesn't seem to work
and lastly it'd be nice if we could pick 2x or 3x zoom level.
 - Titles and subtitles only appear once.
Edit: found out that the above was a feature (the map while pressing overlay button) except if you repeatedly press E and the, stop and then press it again, it will only activate map.

Edit: Ah, that makes sense (See post below), the thing with the titles / subtitles seems to reset depending on how you go into the level(direction)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 01:58:07 by willxinc »

Offline Widget

• View Profile
« Reply #394 on: January 16, 2013, 01:44:56 »
Some issues I've noticed are:
 - hitting Q to access item bar sometimes triggers the dark overlay with the ? on it (not always, seems random)
This is the collectibles menu. It shows the ? if you haven't picked ny up so as not to add a layer of confusion to levels that don't use this feature. The "unpredictability" is down to a new kind of keypress being used to trigger the new features; pressing the relevant key twice and holding it down on the second to keep the screen up. To accomodate people with slower reaction/typing speed it's very forgiving, which means you can press the key once, wait a second or so, then press it again and have it bring up the menu still.

- hitting E to access navigation results in either nothing happening, edge overlay (same as H), or the map showing up (seemingly randomly)
The map behaviour is the same as the collectible menu behaviour, outlined above.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #395 on: January 16, 2013, 02:32:17 »
Hi Willxinc. From what you've described, everything seems to be functioning correctly.
  • Q and E keys As Widget explained the keys each have two functions. The primary functions require you to hold the keys. To access the secondary functions, tap then hold the keys. It's like double clicking the mouse except you hold on the second click.
  • Reset resets the zoom level What can I say? It resets everything. Using Ctrl-Z to cycle back to your preferred zoom level is quick and painless.
  • Invisible blocks for fish They are working correctly. In the demo I've indicated with tiles where they are, but you can't really see them. Without them, the fish would be swimming through the walls.
  • Titles appear once That's what they're meant to do. They're like the opening credits to a movie, or a message in a game that appears when you've reached a new chapter or entered a new location.
  • Zooming is a hassle Ctrl-Z is much faster and easier than using the menu. I know it's not an ideal menu set-up, but 3x zooming was an afterthought. I may make some changes there thank you for the suggestion.

Offline willxinc

• Will 'XCS'
    • View Profile
    • Self Hosted Site (On Rarely)
« Reply #396 on: January 16, 2013, 03:08:01 »
Now that you've explained it, it makes a lot more sense I thought it was the other way around for the fish tiles.
Thanks!
Now then back to messing with the editor.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #397 on: January 16, 2013, 21:16:57 »
I've updated KS+ to 0.9.1. This corrects the web address in the Info.png for new KS+ levels. It also fixes the spikey ghost bug. Get it at the new web page.

Note: The editor may be the program that uses the Info.png update, but the game package contains all the external files. There's no editor update this time.

Offline toenail

• View Profile
« Reply #398 on: January 17, 2013, 10:23:47 »
I've updated KS+ to 0.9.1. This corrects the web address in the Info.png for new KS+ levels. It also fixes the spikey ghost bug. Get it at the new web page.

Tested the new version and the spikey ghost are working perfectly now.

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
« Reply #399 on: January 18, 2013, 16:48:14 »
Hey, just wanted to let you know that my WIP level Advena is going to be using this mod. Thanks for all your hard work! :)

Offline Widget

• View Profile
« Reply #400 on: January 18, 2013, 17:38:24 »
Hey, just wanted to let you know that my WIP level Advena is going to be using this mod. Thanks for all your hard work! :)

I can't wait to start seeing levels with the collectibles ego put so much hard work into turning up. It's great to hear you're working in that direction now :^^:

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #401 on: January 18, 2013, 21:43:40 »
Glad to hear it. I'll watch for the release.

Offline BloxMaster

• Master of the Bloxes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: January 18, 2013, 22:32:11 »
*cough*

I might have been working with KS+ for a while now. I don't want anyone to expect anything of me though, but I wanted to officially take the time to thank egomassive for his time and effort, and for everyone who's helped him test and get ideas. :)

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #403 on: January 19, 2013, 03:47:17 »
I might have been working with KS+ for a while now. ...

The author of KSA is using my mod! I'm honored. There's no need for you to thank me. KS+ owes a lot to KSA's legacy. I learned from the successes of your project, from how people reacted to it, and from its demise. I've even included some of KSA features in KS+ --colored cloud puffs and creature blockers for example.

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: January 19, 2013, 20:55:20 »
1) I wanna to say that your mod is great and I am thinking about making my next level in it (those creatures blocking blocks really got me).
2) Is it possible to run your mod on Linux ? My brother who is using Xubuntu wants to try it too.