egomassive's Knytt Stories Plus mod

• 1097 Replies

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
Re: egomassive's Knytt Stories Plus mod
« Reply #375 on: December 19, 2012, 17:38:00 »
It's working fine for me. I tried several things that I thought might prevent testing from working, but it still worked. Is anyone else having this issue? Does KS Ex's editor work properly for you Sergio? Otherwise all I can tell you is make sure your EditorSettings.temp reads "Knytt Stories Plus" and not "Knytt Stories Ego".

As for "cut" not being grayed initially, it's probably been that way since I added it. I checked back as far as beta 3.1. Thanks for pointing it out though. *star*
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 11:36:02 by egomassive »

Offline toenail

• View Profile
« Reply #376 on: December 19, 2012, 18:13:02 »
I just tried it and the test mod works fine for me.
I simply replaced the editor exe with the new version.

I checked and I have "knytt story plus" in the settings.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #377 on: December 19, 2012, 18:31:46 »
Oops! I made a blunder. The script dialogue in editor 0.7.4 is broken. I have to break it in order to work on it, and I left it in this state. I'll fix it as soon as I can.

Incidentally, I just noticed today that the black flier in the creepy bank doesn't react to the fish and bird invisible blocker. I'll take care of that quickly too, since it may be beneficial to a level I'm testing right now.

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #378 on: December 20, 2012, 04:48:39 »
GrayFace adds """" to both ends of the file name. I assume this forces Windows to use the entire file name, and not launch the wrong program prematurely.
Yes, it's another bug of MMF.

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
« Reply #379 on: December 25, 2012, 08:47:57 »
I just recently downloaded this. I can't test levels either. I followed all instructions given in the readme and tried some things from this thread but to no success. Thought I'd let you know that it's not working for me.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #380 on: December 26, 2012, 00:29:32 »
I just recently downloaded this. I can't test levels either. I followed all instructions given in the readme and tried some things from this thread but to no success. Thought I'd let you know that it's not working for me.
Well, it's hard to guess what might have gone wrong. Are you trying to test from the the KS+ editor or another? Can you post the contents of the EditorSettings.temp in your Worlds folder?

Edit: A new beta of KS+ is ready for download in the opening post, version 0.7.4. This one has two types of crumbling blocks and their graphics can be customized. I've also made the Creepy Flyer obey the fish/bird blocker.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 12:09:33 by egomassive »

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
« Reply #381 on: December 27, 2012, 04:29:26 »
I'm trying to test with the KS+ editor. I can manipulate screens (draw terrain, place objects, etc) just fine. Guess I should have said that before. Every time I click Test it does nothing. Doesn't even seem like it's trying to do anything.

EditorSettings.temp info
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #382 on: December 28, 2012, 01:48:37 »
@ Purple Ink: I think I know where we went wrong here. The readme.txt was written before I decided to make an editor mod. The advise in step 3 was for people using the original editor. It says to rename Knytt Stories something else, then rename this mod "Knytt Stories". If you did that, then put the names back the way they were.

The executable listed under "ego" in the EditorSettings.temp must match the name of the program you want to use. The editor must also be in the same location on your computer as the version of KS you want it to test with.

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
« Reply #383 on: December 29, 2012, 04:27:23 »
I knew it was something silly. It's now working properly.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #384 on: January 08, 2013, 09:13:32 »
Progress Report: I'm coding the the last 2 tabs in the level editor's script panel. Once they're finished you'll be able to do all your KS and KS+ scripting exclusively with the dialogues. :) Then, there will only be tying up loose ends and stamping out bugs for both KS+ and it's editor. I'm on schedule to finish this project before for my friend graduates and takes his MMF2 software with him.

Bug Report: The smile ball behaves badly in single-pass rendering. Objects that follow Juni need to hesitate a frame to work correctly. It looks like this is the only one I missed. It'll be fixed in the next release.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #385 on: January 08, 2013, 11:47:08 »
Otherwise all I can tell you is make sure your EditorSettings.temp reads "Knytt Stories Plus" and not "Knytt Stories Ego".

Forgot to mention, this was the issue!

I'm having trouble understanding how the reload script function works. I saved the game after changing the default level format, but pressing reload script failed to pull up the newly updated World.ini, whereas closing and reopening the script tab succeeds. Is that intentional or a bug?

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #386 on: January 09, 2013, 07:10:57 »
I'm not aware of any problems with the reload functions. I'll look into it. There are certainly issues with it's behavior surrounding formats. This is the very thing I plan to work on today.

Progress Report: I finished the script panel yesterday. The miscellaneous and cutscene tabs were full of special cases making them a pain to program. I need to run more tests. I'll hold off on the next releases until I've addressed all known issues in both products. We're so close to the end! :D

Edit: I have a few more help tips to add, and I'll be finished as far as I know. I'm excited about the coming releases. Check out these improvements:

• When you create a new level you choose KS+ or original KS. Choosing KS+ will automatically add a different Info.png and a new Info+.png. The altered Info.png directs users who open KS+ levels with normal KS to a location they can get KS+. Info+.png overrides Info.png when levels are opened with KS+, it's your new default Info image.
  • Useful folders like Ambiance and Tilesets are added to new projects for convenience.
  • The audio preview buttons work better than before. You can toggle them to stay on with a right click as before, but now audio updates as you scroll around the map.
  • When you open a level for editing, the editor will adjust to that level's format. Changing the format in the script pad will update the script dialogues instantly.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 00:42:59 by egomassive »

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #387 on: January 12, 2013, 23:01:09 »
Man this is going to be fantastic.  I can't wait to have the time and inspiration to make a level with this.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #388 on: January 13, 2013, 21:17:13 »
Knytt Stories + 0.9.0 and Level Editor + 0.9.0 can be downloaded in the opening post. Both products are essentially complete. They only need to be proven now.

KS+ updates:
  • Dual Info.png support. If you include an Info+.png it will be the one seen in KS+, while Info.png will be seen in original KS. This allows you to direct unwary users who install your KS+ level how to get KS+**, while KS+ users get a seamless experience. (KS+ shows the Info.png if an Info+.png does not exist.)
  • Fixed a bug with the smile ball.

LE+ updates:
  • It's complete! All script dialogues and help tip have been implemented.
  • Better format control.
  • Preview bars can be disabled.
  • More level compression confirmations. When you choose to compress a level it will check that the level has been saved, that the folder name matches the script info, and if size, difficulty, and category tags have all been added. All of these come with options to ignore them.
  • When starting a new level you can choose between KS+ and original KS projects. Plus, the empty levels have all the standard files, folders, and scripts included. e.g. Info+.png file, Custom Objects folder, Cutscene Color group header.
  • Various bug fixes and improvements.

Other than bug fixes and possibly minor improvements, I'm finished making these programs. :D I skipped all the way to 0.9.0 version numbers to indicate this. I hope the community has a lot of fun making and playing KS levels for years to come, but it's time for me to start turning my attention to my own games. (Don't worry I'll still be making KS levels.)

**Web address not implemented yet. :oops:

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
    • Twitter @Raicuparta
« Reply #389 on: January 13, 2013, 23:09:46 »
Congratulations, Ego.
I haven't had much time to do anything game-related lately, that's why I stopped annoying you with bug reports and feature requests, but I never stopped coming here and seeing how the mod evolved. It was really nice to see it grow and become such a complete mod, especially since the editor was added. I can't wait till I get some time on my hands so I can keep working on my levels with the complete mod!