egomassive's Knytt Stories Plus mod

• 1097 Replies

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
Re: egomassive's Knytt Stories Plus mod
« Reply #360 on: November 22, 2012, 09:41:27 »
Yes, I had 3 shifts for different characters. The platforms feel pretty good. I think platforms  2 squares in width would be more practical. Shorter delay before they disappear may be better, but depends on how they'll be used. With such big delay a visual indication that the platform is about to disappear may be good, now the platforms turn back purple when it's too late to jump off them. I can't say if ability to trigger them by touching from below is good or bad.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #361 on: November 28, 2012, 17:46:52 »
I had an idea you might be interested in implementing.

When KS+ levels are pulled up in regular KS, Info.png is shown but the Upgrade button appears, directing to Nifflas' website. I was thinking that KS+ levels could use Info.png to display a message about the level being created in KS+ and where to obtain the mod from. When loaded in KS+, the game could check for something like Info2.png (which would be the level's real Info screen) and display that instead if it exists. What do you think? Too much work for an issue people might not even encounter?

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #362 on: November 30, 2012, 01:52:32 »
@ Sergio Cornaga: You are very right that the uninitiated need some guidance. However, features that rely on designers to use them often fail. I'm afraid it would go unused like category/size/difficulty labels often do. It's the very designers who would neglect to use the feature that would ambiguously upload levels to the archive.

I'm going to include your idea. Additionally, for my editor I'll change the default level to include info.png and info2.png. Then, I'll change info.png to an image that explains the level is likely to be KS+ or KS Ex and what to do about it. Designers could then alter both images as they see fit.

The editor still needs a lot of work. If I don't hurry up and finish it before the summer, I may not be able to. I lose access to MMF at that point.

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #363 on: November 30, 2012, 17:11:44 »
Here's another idea: we can ask Nifflas to include links to out mods on the download page :) There already is a link to KSDS. This won't help determine which mod to use though. A level that has version number above 2 is most likely a KS+ level, because KS Ex editor doesn't set version number to 3 when it creates a level. I could add a check box for this. I'm also thinking of other ways to tell the player about the mod, e.g. in my levels I have a special screen for that, set as the starting one. If editor could create this screen and add the real starting position to World.ini, this would be another solution. This would make 3rd Party Tools still work with info screen, but Info2.png solution would be easier to implement.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 22:17:33 by GrayFace »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #364 on: December 01, 2012, 00:02:23 »
That's a good point GrayFace. We should ask Nifflas if he's willing to provide links to our mods on the official Knytt Stories download page. It would look bad for him if the update link built into KS didn't take users to a proper solution. But, I don't want to bother him with KS+ while it's in beta.

Offline toenail

• View Profile
« Reply #365 on: December 03, 2012, 11:39:32 »
Hi,

I have a problem with version 0.7.2 with the inventory key. It does not close the inventory anymore.
If I remove the custom keys from the settings, it goes back to the normal behaviour. Otherwise, the key opens the full inventory and keep it on screen. I have to change screen of open the map to get rid of it.

Here are the custom keys I use (I only changes the arrows) :
[Keys]
Up=I
Down=K
Left=J
Right=L
Walk=A
Jump=S
Umbrella=D
Inv=Q
Holo=W
Nav=E
Edge=H
Map=M
Full=O (Full=I)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 14:08:35 by toenail »

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #366 on: December 03, 2012, 12:05:31 »
You have both the up arrow and Full mapped to the same key!
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline toenail

• View Profile
« Reply #367 on: December 03, 2012, 14:06:54 »
You have both the up arrow and Full mapped to the same key!

How strange. I checked and apparently, it is not the case. I was trying to get back to the initial config which sets "I" to the full inventory and this is probably why I copied the wrong settings to the forum.
I modified my post to give the correct config I have (Full=O)

Additionnaly, I did a couple of tries :
  • I kept the "I" for its initial purpose and put "O" to go up. Same result.
  • I also copied the example list from the readme file and I still have the same result.
  • I kept only the 1st 4 lines and had no issue (except that the full inventory and up are set to the same key)
  • I removed only the last line (Full=...) but the problem remained.
  • I removed the Inv=... line and now it gets even stranger :
    Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

Maybe I should add that I am in France and use an Azerty keyboard with FR-fr configuration for windows.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #368 on: December 03, 2012, 20:25:41 »
This is completely my fault. When I added the key configuration button to the main menu, I changed the names of some of the keys in the settings.ini, but I didn't update the information in this thread and the read-me.

Use the "Set Controls" button in the main menu to configure the keys. Or you can do it yourself with the current set of instructions:
Spoiler: inst (click to show/hide)
It is only necessary to add the lines which differ from the default set.  A star to Toenail for finding this mistake, and I'm glad to hear someone is using this feature. :)

Offline toenail

• View Profile
« Reply #369 on: December 17, 2012, 16:57:25 »
Use the "Set Controls" button in the main menu to configure the keys.

This works like a charm... except when I am in test mode from the level editor.
The I key is apparently still set for the full inventory whatever parameters you change in the settings.
I am guessing the test mode still uses the old names for the keys ?

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #370 on: December 17, 2012, 19:53:44 »
Hmm. I'll look into it.
Edit: Custom controls are working fine in test mode for me. I looked at the source. The program maps keys before deciding which mode to run in, normal or test. I altered the code a bit to guarantee that the controls are mapped before the program progresses. I don't think it'll make a difference, but with MMF you never know. I've released the current build in the opening post.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 20:20:27 by egomassive »

Offline toenail

• View Profile
« Reply #371 on: December 18, 2012, 09:41:50 »
I've released the current build in the opening post.

Tried it and still the same.
However, I know why the keys are not mapped in my case. In test mod, the standard Knytt story exe is launched. I checked the settings and the level editor settings but nothing is out of the ordinary.

I'll try a clean install just to be on the safe side.
This is not really a big deal anyway.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #372 on: December 18, 2012, 10:01:45 »
However, I know why the keys are not mapped in my case. In test mod, the standard Knytt story exe is launched.

I wondered if this was the reason. This has also happened to me, I imagine it can be fixed by renaming the EXEs but that's something I'd prefer not to do.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #373 on: December 19, 2012, 00:41:49 »
In test mod, the standard Knytt story exe is launched. I checked the settings and the level editor settings but nothing is out of the ordinary.

I renamed my executables long ago and forgot about this problem. Thanks for bringing it back to my attention. *gives star* The solution comes straight out of the Level Editor Ex source. GrayFace adds """" to both ends of the file name. I assume this forces Windows to use the entire file name, and not launch the wrong program prematurely. Get Level Editor 0.4.3 in the opening post.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #374 on: December 19, 2012, 13:17:21 »
Unfortunately, now when I attempt to test a level, no executable opens at all.

Additionally: I noticed 'Edit > Cut' isn't greyed out like the other options are when first starting the editor.