egomassive's Knytt Stories Plus mod

• 1097 Replies

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
Re: egomassive's Knytt Stories Plus mod
« Reply #345 on: November 08, 2012, 01:59:17 »
Yes, and already done. The moving platform object can move in any direction, left-right, up-down or diagonal. I wanted to make disappearing platforms too, but haven't made them yet. Falling platforms are a good idea.

« Reply #346 on: November 08, 2012, 21:55:36 »
Nice, I will have to try that one out. I'd be grateful if you guys add falling/crumbling platforms to your mods.

Btw, is it possible to replace Juni's sound FX? Like her walking, jumping and climbing sounds... I made some custom sounds but I dont know how to implement it using KS Plus.

Thanks

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #347 on: November 09, 2012, 02:32:01 »
Custom sounds are limited to Music, Ambiance, Shifts, and Triggers. I know it would be cool to customize any sound the way you can customize any graphic, but it's beyond the scope of this project. Also, I have concerns over the performance of non-embedded sounds.

KS+ is meant for novice level designers. I consider sound effect design to be an intermediate level skill. I'd also put Lua programming in the intermediate zone, so if you have any programming knowledge KS Ex may be a better fit for you.

« Reply #348 on: November 09, 2012, 06:40:09 »
Gotcha. I guess I'll just use my custom sound FX for my future levels.

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: November 09, 2012, 15:14:02 »
I was thinking Ego, would it be possible to have a custom graphic for the umbrella as its held?

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #350 on: November 10, 2012, 01:02:50 »
I was thinking Ego, would it be possible to have a custom graphic for the umbrella as its held?

I really should. It's been a while since I looked at that portion of the program, but I remember that it wasn't going to be easy.

« Reply #351 on: November 10, 2012, 20:40:06 »
Why are the map downloads .bin files? If I unzip one, it makes a .cpgz file, and if I unzip THAT, it makes... AN IDENTICAL BIN FILE AS I HAD ORIGINALY!  :sad: Help!

Offline Firecat

• Every bit is important.
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: November 10, 2012, 21:26:03 »
Why are the map downloads .bin files? If I unzip one, it makes a .cpgz file, and if I unzip THAT, it makes... AN IDENTICAL BIN FILE AS I HAD ORIGINALY!  :sad: Help!
First, take a look at the [FAQ], specially at the ''How do I install a .knytt.bin file?'' question, basically the .bin must be unzipped by Knytt Stories itself.

There's 110011 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary, Those who don't, and those who confuse it with ASCII.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #353 on: November 12, 2012, 11:37:00 »
Thanks for fielding that question Firecat. *gave star*

I've released KS+ 0.7.2. This one includes customizable umbrellas and a crumbling block.

The umbrella requires no special instructions. Just include a proper spritesheet with a proper name and it works automatically. Two important notes: they only work with custom characters, and they do not protect from projectiles. Details are in the KS+ instructions text file included in the download.

The "crumbling" block is my first draft. Later on I'll make an actual crumbling rock version and add OCO capability. Before I do that I'd like feedback on the feel and the timing of it. I'm sure we all have different ideas of how "crumbling" platforms should work, so I'd like to know what you think is wrong with my version. One note: If you manage to wall-swim in one it disappears instantly.

The Features Demonstration level has been updated with example use of these features. The Umbrella power is by the Shift that turns you into a long-tailed Knytt. The "crumbling" blocks are in the Chalk Mines.

« Reply #354 on: November 12, 2012, 19:23:27 »
The features demo link is not working, it just says Page not found when clicked.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #355 on: November 13, 2012, 07:09:52 »
Oops. File link corrected.
Edit: I noticed a little late that I haven't corrected the order for custom umbrellas yet. Until the next release, objects on layers 4 and 5 will come between custom characters and their umbrellas.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 07:58:16 by egomassive »

Offline Firecat

• Every bit is important.
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: November 19, 2012, 23:23:53 »
The crumbling block seems to be one of those objects that misbehave when loaded on the same tick as the player.
There's 110011 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary, Those who don't, and those who confuse it with ASCII.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #357 on: November 20, 2012, 08:27:09 »
Thanks Firecat. *gives star* Other than the bug, what do you think of it? I'm waiting for feed back on the "crumbling" block before I upload another version.

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #358 on: November 21, 2012, 08:21:43 »
Custom umbrella doesn't work with shifts. I tried the cat umbrella, but it didn't work until I set the cat as default character.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #359 on: November 21, 2012, 13:06:34 »
There's a bug or 2 in the custom umbrella. I've already fixed them. I haven't updated the release, because I wanted get more feedback on the crumbling block. *star for bug report anyway* I would guess that you've put more than one character shift on the same screen. The last one is overriding the others because I left out a conditional. :oops: I'll update as soon as I fix the issue Firecat found.