egomassive's Knytt Stories Plus mod

• 1097 Replies

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
Re: egomassive's Knytt Stories Plus mod
« Reply #330 on: October 19, 2012, 12:37:46 »
I see, ok. That's useful to know. :) I had a thought of making windows in a house light up after Juni passes...

How about making things disappear with triggers? Could you override an object by triggering an invisible block on the same layer?

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #331 on: October 20, 2012, 01:06:25 »
How about making things disappear with triggers? Could you override an object by triggering an invisible block on the same layer?

Making objects disappear is trickier than making them appear. I haven't yet thought of a straight forward way to do it. ... I have an idea. What if I make an object that destroys any other object it overlaps when a Trigger is tripped? This wouldn't require any World.ini instructions beyond the ones that already exist for Triggers. It wouldn't work well for moving creatures, but it would be great for unblocking paths.

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
    • Twitter @Raicuparta
« Reply #332 on: October 20, 2012, 01:53:31 »
I have an idea. What if I make an object that destroys any other object it overlaps when a Trigger is tripped? This wouldn't require any World.ini instructions beyond the ones that already exist for Triggers. It wouldn't work well for moving creatures, but it would be great for unblocking paths.
Why not make it so it destroys the object that was placed in that position in the editor? That way moving creatures wouldn't be a problem.

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #333 on: November 02, 2012, 14:03:00 »
Right now I want to make a CO disappear. In the past, I've wanted to make a warp object vanish. So personally it's only stationary objects that I've wanted to use it on.

EDIT: I note that you can't have commas in titles. Can this be otherwise?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 00:05:46 by Talps »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #334 on: November 04, 2012, 05:12:13 »
That's odd about the comma. It adds a space for it. I must have misplaced the comma in the font image.

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #335 on: November 04, 2012, 10:33:58 »
I found that MMF2 takes more time to destroy objects than to create them. In KS Ex I now move objects outside of play area and don't call Destroy. This makes switching between screens faster. This also requires making some more objects inactive during the switch, because any collision masks aren't updated and the player ends up colliding with objects from the previous screen, like Win tiles, save points, power-ups etc. I do destroy objects 12 and 20 from bank 0. I haven't checked if all objects have the "Destroy object if too far away from frame" flag on. On another note, I keep shifts inactive for an extra frame for compatibility with shift-based animation in levels that were made for 2-phase screen render.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #336 on: November 04, 2012, 12:22:37 »
New version of KS+ available, 0.7.0. This one has static spikes. They look like the hidden spikes in bank 6, but they don't hide. I've added the comma to the Title's font. Somehow I erased it when I updated the font previously. A bug with the climb power combined with CO's I introduced in the last version has been squashed. Last but not least, there are Delete objects.

Delete objects will destroy most other objects when a Trigger is tripped. Simply place one on an object you wish to have destroyed. They must be touching the object you want to destroy at the time the Trigger is activated. This will make destroying moving objects tricky, but you can use multiple Delete objects on a single screen. Any bank object can be destroyed as well as COs. Projectiles are immune to it's effects, but nature effects like rain drops and dust particles are not.

@ GrayFace: So, you let the "destroy if too far from frame" handle the destruction? I'll have to try this out. I've already built a function that simulates two-cycle rendering for parts of the program that rely on it. I could probably use that to fix the problems that will arise.

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #337 on: November 05, 2012, 20:51:45 »
Yes, but I also put them in a list (in Lua) and make sure they get destroyed, because template objects don't have the flag. I destroy 10 left-overs on each tick.

« Reply #338 on: November 06, 2012, 20:07:33 »
New version of KS+ available, 0.7.0. This one has static spikes. They look like the hidden spikes in bank 6, but they don't hide.  -snip-

I really need that for the KS level I'm making. Are you going to add more platforming features to this mod?

Keep up the good work!

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #339 on: November 07, 2012, 08:54:50 »
The KS mod is more or less done. I don't have plans for anymore features. I am taking suggestions though. I'm looking into GrayFace's destruction idea, but that's just to improve performance.

I still have some work to do on the editor mod. When that is finished and appears to be bug free I'll declare both products complete, and stop distracting myself from the levels I could be making. :)

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #340 on: November 07, 2012, 09:28:36 »
Looking forward to the Tree and Community levels :)

Are you going to add more platforming features to this mod?
What features would you like to see?

« Reply #341 on: November 07, 2012, 19:45:28 »
@Grayface
I want to see more traps and moving/falling platforms.

@egomassive
Cant wait for you to finish this mod, I'd like to see more of your custom levels using KS + features.

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #342 on: November 07, 2012, 21:57:05 »
Ego has been pretty committed to not adding any moving platforms.

Offline Marximillian

• I don't hate Swedes, what are you implying exactly
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: November 07, 2012, 22:48:24 »
Ego has been pretty committed to not adding any moving platforms.
And it's hard to change someone's mind when their ego is massive.
x

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #344 on: November 08, 2012, 00:31:39 »
I hadn't thought of falling platforms, the type that crumble after you touch them. ... I think I might add that.

Moving platforms are still out. For the same reasons I've stated before. They are possible in KS Ex.