egomassive's Knytt Stories Plus mod

• 1097 Replies

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
Re: egomassive's Knytt Stories Plus mod
« Reply #300 on: September 04, 2012, 02:04:04 »
Thanks again Headgrinder. You make great levels, so I hope you find time to do things you enjoy.

Raicuparta, is right. I was careless when I made the new invisible objects. I'm in the habit of using 080000 for black, but the original objects used 000001. This color is added to the background color. Sergio, I didn't know CO's flashed a red dot on screen. I'm sure it's an internal behavior I can't do anything about, but it's good to know.

I noticed another bug myself. When you spawn an object to a screen with a golden creature, the gold dust the GC makes will appear at the spawn point for a moment. I'm not sure if all generated objects are susceptible or just gold dust.

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
    • Twitter @Raicuparta
« Reply #301 on: September 07, 2012, 11:28:43 »
I made OCO's for the keys, and there seems to be a problem. If the red key has been collected, the purple key will not appear, as if it had already been found, but the purple key doesn't show as having been collected in the item bar.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #302 on: September 07, 2012, 14:07:03 »
New releases for KS+ and its editor. The game features less-noticeable invisible objects and other minor tweaks. The editor has several bug fixes including a confirmation dialogue error and absolute targets for Shifts are now written to the script. The biggest news is the introduction of the World tab. (See image.)

@ Raicuparta: I fixed the OCO powers/items bug you just reported at the last minute. I only tested it on the red key before, and unfortunately that's the only one that worked properly. I had all of them checking if the red key was collected to decide if they should be created. :oops:

Edit: Forgot to attach image.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 14:21:37 by egomassive »

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #303 on: September 08, 2012, 01:23:58 »
hmm... for some reason the feature demonstration level has a bottomless pit screen now right after the intro to gold creatures.  Sometimes it has a title that says "the dark caverns" when you fall and sometimes it doesn't.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #304 on: September 08, 2012, 02:17:19 »
Headgrinder, It sounds like you've installed the mod wrong. You need to either merge the "Knytt Stories" folder in the game zip with your original "Knytt Stories" folder, or you need to copy the original "data" folder into the location you installed the mod.

That point in the demo is the first time I use a default tileset and gradient. If the original data is missing, then the background and collision tiles can't be drawn. You're not the first to have this problem. I guess I should add an error check specifically for this.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #306 on: September 08, 2012, 07:49:31 »
I have a question for everyone. Early on, I stated that I didn't want to include features that would change the feel of Knytt Stories. I felt that a swimming mode and moving platforms would undermine the solid pick-up-and-play mechanics. Anyway, it turns out that jump-through platforms are surprisingly easy to make, but this was a feature I had felt would change the Knytt experience too much. Now, I'm not so sure. What do you think?

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #307 on: September 08, 2012, 15:32:04 »
I think including them could be a good idea. Especially since I've been thinking of a convoluted method for making jump-through platforms with shifts in standard KS recently.

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: September 09, 2012, 00:01:00 »
I think jump-through platforms would be ok; they're something that I often find I'd like to use in small ways that wouldn't have a big impact on gameplay. There are a lot of instances when I've seen them not used and felt that the level would feel a lot more solid if they'd been in there.

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #309 on: September 09, 2012, 00:22:13 »
Yeah, I'm all for it... of course, I'm all for hijacking the whole knytt stories engine for my own selfish purposes!  :D 

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #310 on: September 09, 2012, 14:06:31 »
Anyway, it turns out that jump-through platforms are surprisingly easy to make, but this was a feature I had felt would change the Knytt experience too much. Now, I'm not so sure. What do you think?
Not in a slightest bit, compared to introduction of the map :) I think they should be invisible (truly invisible).
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 14:08:33 by GrayFace »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #311 on: September 09, 2012, 15:24:46 »
Everyone seems to be in agreement. I certainly can't argue with Grayface's point about how small a change jump-through platforms are in comparison to the map. They will be in the next release, Friday if not sooner.

The jump-through part was easy to implement, but I realized jumping back through was needed too. It's video game law. Anyway, it was a little tricky, but if you press down + jump you'll fall through a "Ledge". Why are they called "Ledges" you ask? Because, I couldn't fit "Jump-through" across the tile. I couldn't even fit "Through." They look like springs because they are similar in function. (See image.)

Bug report: In the editor, if one of the Shift Map or Shift Target boxes is active when you click Absolute, most likely it'll screw up. Now that fields automatically update when they're deselected, the Absolute check mark changes the values and then the deselection detector changes them again causing utter chaos.

I don't think I've mentioned this anywhere before. The background fish now react to the fish blocker. Originally, I thought they didn't need to because their paths are so small, but Squareman's Adventure blatantly expected it.

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #312 on: September 10, 2012, 04:46:02 »
The jump-through part was easy to implement, but I realized jumping back through was needed too. It's video game law. Anyway, it was a little tricky, but if you press down + jump you'll fall through a "Ledge".
I think there should be 2 kinds of ledges, with and without jumping down. I expect simple jump-through ledges to be more useful.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #313 on: September 11, 2012, 03:59:34 »
I think there should be 2 kinds of ledges, with and without jumping down. I expect simple jump-through ledges to be more useful.
I'm afraid having different kinds of ledges will make things difficult for players. I'll add it anyway. The groundwork has all been laid, the hardest part will be finding a short name to put on the tile. "Oneway" fits but it doesn't look good.

There's something that has always bugged me about the Triggers. If you wanted to spawn a laser row you couldn't because you could only create one object per trigger. So, I've finally devised the "Spawn" object. An object will spawn wherever you place them when the Trigger of the same letter is triggered. Triggers alone work the same as always, but with Spawns present the spawn location is overridden.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #314 on: September 11, 2012, 07:14:43 »
"Oneway" fits but it doesn't look good.

"1-way"?