egomassive's Knytt Stories Plus mod

• 1097 Replies

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
Re: egomassive's Knytt Stories Plus mod
« Reply #255 on: August 23, 2012, 12:13:24 »
I can't see the second one from the right being all that useful, but maybe I'm just not thinking hard enough. Have you considered adding a thin vertical column? Might be helpful for masking the sort of tiles some people want to make climbable, but aren't the right shape at all.

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: August 23, 2012, 17:02:46 »
I'm not sure if I already said this before, but I have a bit of an issue, even if you're almost definitely aware of it.
I wanted to replace the graphics for the key items, and I followed the instructions to make a powers png file, but it seems there is no way to replace only the keys. So I tried replacing the other powers with the original sprites, but this is a problem because the number of frames in the template differs from the number of frames in the original sprite for most powers. For now I just set it to repeat some frames, which just makes it look a bit odd, but I would like to know if there is a way around this.

Offline Pie_Sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #257 on: August 23, 2012, 22:17:16 »
Unfortunately the .bin file extension is far too common for that to be remotely practical. It's used for a huge number of file types and your OS wouldn't be able to distinguish between them.
You're right. I was hoping Windows would be able to recognize .knytt.bin as one compound file extension, but I just tested it and it does not. It's too bad the extension isn't just .knytt.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #258 on: August 24, 2012, 03:28:17 »
I'm not sure if I already said this before, but I have a bit of an issue, even if you're almost definitely aware of it.
I wanted to replace the graphics for the key items, and I followed the instructions to make a powers png file, but it seems there is no way to replace only the keys. So I tried replacing the other powers with the original sprites, but this is a problem because the number of frames in the template differs from the number of frames in the original sprite for most powers. For now I just set it to repeat some frames, which just makes it look a bit odd, but I would like to know if there is a way around this.
If you change one power/item you have to change them all. I made the replacement animations all the same length and speed because I figured it would be easier for level designers if each custom power had the same behavior. I can't think of a good solution for changing just the keys. I can see about adding normal OCO behavior for them. I didn't do this originally because I thought if you wanted to change one power you'd want to change them all, and using OCOs would use up 13 custom object spaces and require a page of ini instructions. Edit: All powers/items can customized individually with OCOs now. It will always check for custom power icons too. Before, it only did that if a Powers image was declared.

@ SergioCornaga: The second invisible block on the right is Talps's suggestion. He didn't say what he wanted it for, but I can see it being used to make houses that can be walked in front of and on top of. I don't think it's a particularly good idea, but people do it, and now they can do it better. :)

@ Pie_Sniper: I thought of that too once upon a time, but Widget is right. However, it would be nice if the game knew what to do if you right clicked a .bin and chose "open with -> Knytt Stories Plus." Edit: This is now a feature. You'll have to browse for it the first time, but then KS+ should remain in the "open with" sub-menu of your context menu.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 09:43:27 by egomassive »

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #259 on: August 24, 2012, 13:06:19 »
I've got to run to work and haven't read everyone's no doubt worthy comments, but let me just suggest some kind of simple counter to be used at the ending sequence to show whether the player found all the secret rooms, all the hostages, all the whatever needs counting.  I guess there are very complex ways to do this with flags currently, but I'll never be programmer enough to do them, though I would love to have a good counter.  I also know that the counter might have to be used only in a false cutscene (juni trapped behind something and the screen looks like a cutsceen), but that is fine.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #260 on: August 24, 2012, 20:34:42 »
KS+ 0.6.2 is available in the opening post. This release follows KS 1.2.ego.5c. I've altered the version number scheme now that there's an official name. There are numerous fixes and added features which I'm too sick to remember right now, (I have a cold and I'm really feeling it today,) but let me try to sum it up.
  • All previously known bugs are fixed, I think. Including the custom character falling animation. ShiftHide works with screen changes. Uh... other stuff.
  • Localized ambiance that can be used to cross-fade, see Features Demonstration
  • Better map coloring.
  • More invisible block shapes.
  • Key mapping interface.There's a button on the main menu.
  • Instal levels by dropping them in any menu, or by launching the program with them.
  • Normal OCOs for making custom powers.

I'm not thinking too clearly, so I've probably made a huge blunder with today's release, but I wanted to keep my word about releasing it today, since there seems to be some enthusiasm over it. :sick: :)

Edit: Those little fish respond to fish blockers now, because "Squareman's Adventure" tried to use them this way.

@HG: I'm not sure about that. It's possible, but I don't know that it can be simple to use. The Inventory screen is my attempt at letting you track your progress. If you wanted to you could make a screen with all the collectibles that were used in the level, and say "Here's all the stuff you missed".
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 20:43:43 by egomassive »

Offline Firecat

• Every bit is important.
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: August 25, 2012, 06:59:04 »
Unless I'm doing something wrong, the Test Level function doesn't seem to work, taking you to the main menu instead.
There's 110011 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary, Those who don't, and those who confuse it with ASCII.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #262 on: August 25, 2012, 09:48:16 »
No Firecat, I'm the one who did something wrong. I should have tested that after I changed the instructions for it. What I thought was an unnecessary conditional actual turns out to be important, but I can't imagine why. Oh well, I put it back the way it was, and now it works. I should stop fixing things that aren't broken, and keep a record of everything that needs testing. Get KS+ 0.6.3 in the opening post. Thanks for the error report. *gives star*

Hmm... I ought to give stars for new bug reports from now on. I do really appreciate bug reports.

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: August 25, 2012, 20:03:23 »
Apparently, test level doesn't work on one of my levels, it crashes with "Game executable stopped working". But it works fine with other levels and also works fine if I play through the main launcher. But I suppose you can't do anything about this unless I send you the level, so later I'll try to find out what triggers this.

I never got a definitive answer about a problem I reported before, about the custom character resetting to a standing position, which makes it look glitchy if I use a lot of touch shifts. Are you planning on doing something about this or should I start working on a workaround? I understand if, as you said before, you don't intend people to use it this way.
If you're still open to suggestions, it would be nice if there was a way to set a custom character for an entire screen instead of only allowing it to change through triggers. But I suppose that would almost definitely only be useful for me and the particular level I'm working on.

As always, thanks for the awesome work ;)

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #264 on: August 25, 2012, 22:07:20 »
@^: I remember the discussion about character changes, but it didn't make it to the bug list since it's not a bug. I should have looked into it though.

I changed a few things that could affect test mode which I'll double check Your problem probably stems from the name change. Now that it's called Knytt Stories Plus you need to change your Editor Settings.temp to reflect this. Even if you did, Windows may open the normal Knytt Stories executable, which will give you this error if you have custom nature effects, The OCO's that don't require an image. I still haven't figured out why Windows will open the wrong program sometimes.

I'll add error checks for this scenario when I update the editor mod.

Edit: I found a bug while adding a fix for changing the character with shift-on-touch. If you stop moving at the moment it shifts to a different character, the movement sound will keep playing. Both of these things work well now. If you use a field of shift objects set to touch, then character changes and saves will only occur once while touching the field. I'd like to do this for any shift-on-touch actions, but then it wouldn't be backwards compatible.

I keep forgetting to mention this, I made the last Disk, object 11:11, a real object. It only appears in KS+ levels though.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 01:00:44 by egomassive »

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: August 26, 2012, 17:56:58 »
Cool, I noticed that sound bug but forgot to report it. I need to start writing things down.
Anyway, I had already tried changing the tmp file once but after deleting the file and changing it again the correct KS opens when testing.

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #266 on: August 26, 2012, 21:15:36 »
I have nothing to add but "yeah" for the development of a superior knytt story platform. 

Yeah! 

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #267 on: August 27, 2012, 05:38:23 »
Thanks Headgrinder.

Discovered another bug yesterday due to single-pass rendering. Lasers can malfunction if they're on adjacent screens. Internally, one laser is designated as time keeper for all lasers. This is why they synchronize so well. The problem was if the time keeper from the last screen wasn't destroyed fast enough, then the new screen could find itself without one.

I've also made the single-pass render option in the menu persistent. Meaning, KS+ will remember how you had it the next time you open the program.

I don't know when I'll make another release of KS+. None of the current fixes are pressing. Maybe I'll release it on Friday again. I really want to focus on updating Level Editor Plus this week. There is still so much to do for that project. I've made many changes and updates already.

Edit: Oops, I just found a big mistake. If you use an install package to launch the program you can't go to the main menu. You'll always be redirected to the install menu even after winning a level or resetting. I'll fix this for Friday's upload.

Edit: More bugs, The water creatures that rise and spit have the same set up as intermittent lasers. So, they too can break if used on adjacent screens.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 00:06:48 by egomassive »

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: August 29, 2012, 03:41:26 »
Been playing around with the localized ambiance objects. Seems like no matter how far away from the source you are, you can still hear it. If you use a very loud ambiance sound it becomes very clear. I'm assuming you didn't intend this, since the volume only starts rising in a radius of 10 blocks from the object.
The mod's features and accessibility are really helping me make an awesome level!

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #269 on: August 29, 2012, 06:34:27 »
@Raicuparta: Actually, volume 2 is the lowest setting I use. I had it set to zero initially, but I frequently heard popping on the fade-in. I attributed this to suddenly raising the volume at a non-zero point in the sound wave. Since that time I lengthened the fade-in and smoothed out the volume curve, so starting it at zero may not be any issue anymore. Truthfully, I'm guessing at this stuff since I don't know anything about audio engineering.

Glad to hear you like the effect though. I'll see if I can reduce the volume for you, or find a better way to mute.
Edit: I tested Area Ambiance with volumes that drop to zero, and I didn't hear any popping. I'll put this version in Friday's update. If anyone hears popping please inform me.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 06:52:24 by egomassive »