egomassive's Knytt Stories Plus mod

• 1097 Replies

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
Re: egomassive's Knytt Stories mod
« Reply #210 on: May 20, 2012, 23:07:43 »
Yeah, I'm amazed at all you've done to expand the versatility of knytt stories.   I haven't said it in a while, but I've always wished for a intellectual sequel to knytt stories perhaps simply called "Stories" which would free the mechanics of the game from being only about knytts.  You've pretty much done everything I would have wanted!

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #211 on: May 21, 2012, 01:52:02 »
the tabs on the latest version (2.3) do not work for me. The sign tab is OK but the warp tab displays the sign tab, and then all the others are wrongly placed.
Blast! I have to break that part in order to work on it. Silly isn't it? Sometimes I forget to fix it again.

I love you mod. I know you are not planning on modifying it further. From my point of view, I am missing 2 things which would have helped me in my level design:
-hidding a screen from the map upgrade
-adding the custom character for the flags
You asked about hiding rooms before and I completely forgot to respond. There isn't a way to program it to hide a room, but if you place the room at least 13 screens away from the edge of the level, then it will never be seen on the map. I like to put them 20 screens away so I can hold shift and scroll twice to get there.

As for the character checking thing, I considered it, but I decided that designers could either switch on a flag at the same time and check that, or shift to a version of the map specifically designed for that character.

Also, I have in some cases a strange bug. Sometimes, the sign tab does not display messages for sign2 or higher.
I'll look into it.

@ Headgrinder: Almost every graphic can be changed now, which was one of my goals. Although, I'm still making stories about Juni and the Knytt universe. I'm excited to see what level designers will do with less limitations and more game play options.

Edit: editor beta Ego 2.3b is out to fix tab alignment error mentioned here

Edit: editor beta Ego 2.3c is out to fix Sign error found by Toenail. I'm still getting false positives for transparent tiles in Tileset A when pasting. I tried to fortify against it, but I'm still not sure how/when it happens. There was an error that caused the Level Manager to open twice. I added a fix for that. It looks like capturing menu commands in the Global Events area was a bad idea, and is the source of many of my woes.

Edit: Hello again. I've just upgraded the editor to beta Ego 2.3d. When I put in extra measures to prevent the tilesets from being re-loaded during the validation cycle, I disabled the preview bars from loading their tilesets. I have now separated the code. After the summer I'm going to move everything out of the global events section, because I'm more and more sure it's at the root of these problems.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 03:29:09 by egomassive »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #212 on: May 23, 2012, 03:08:34 »
Big level editor update, I've given it heart surgery. Its tendency to duplicate menu commands, especially when called by keyboard shortcuts, should no longer be an issue. I said I'd try this after the summer hiatus, but it was driving me crazy as I was using it. I've also finished implementing the Shift Target fields of the Script dialogue. I completely forgot to before.

At this point the to-do list for the editor is:
  • Implement the last 4 dialogue tabs
  • Finish adding context bar messages
  • Hide non-official objects in object selector when format is set lower than 4
  • Add little extras like "go to shift target"
  • Test rigorously

Get the latest editor in the opening post.

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
    • Twitter @Raicuparta
« Reply #213 on: May 23, 2012, 11:18:13 »
I still have the problem where the mouse wheel will stop working for choosing tileset/gradient/etc. I think when I reported this before I said that it was after opening and closing the scrip editor, but now it just seems like it always happens when I run it and I have to reset to fix it. I know you weren't planning on wasting a lot more time with the editor now but I really wanted to use this editor for my next level and this doesn't help...

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #214 on: May 23, 2012, 22:54:01 »
I figured it might still be broken. I didn't do any thing to fix the wheel, I just fixed problems that could arise from closing the script panel. I think I know what the issue is, but I don't have a wheel on this computer. I'll see if I can borrow one.

Edit: The confirmation window was causing some mouse wheel issues. It's the thing that pops up to confirm closing without saving, pick go to coordinates, or change the default format. Focus wasn't being restored properly. These issues are fixed now with beta ego 3.0b. If there are other wheel bugs I have yet to discover them.

Edit: 25May2012: Drats! The undo command is still doubling when the map is active. Be careful undoing because it can crash the program. Also, the script pad can capture paste commands when the editor is not the active window. I'm really not sure how either of these can happen with all the safe guards I've put in place to prevent them. I'll work on it, but I can't promise I'll fix them before work is suspended in 3 days.

Edit: later that day: I conquered the paste issue with the script pad. It takes a global event to force the scintilla object to recognize when the application loses focus. I've added safe guards to the undo routine and all menu commands that rely on "loops" (MMF loops are like function calls mated with normal loops, but the program doesn't necessarily wait for them to complete,) but I couldn't reliably produce the error, so I can't reliably test the fix. I did discover an error with redo while trying to break undo, so I know progress has been made somewhere.

Edit: The next morning: I've discovered how to break the undo reliably --minimize the window. I looked it up on clickteam forums and apparently there's an internal bug that can be overcome by running while minimized. However, I've tried that and it didn't help. What's worse is if I open Looki's source, build it with the version of MMF I'm using, and minimize; everything is fine. This means there must be some factor I can control that causes this. For now, don't minimize.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 11:59:02 by egomassive »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #215 on: June 02, 2012, 11:26:03 »
The summer hiatus has begun. I'm releasing the last build of the editor beta ego 3.1. The only real difference is that it automatically selects the last level edited at start up. Normally the levels I edit are near the top of the list, but recently I was working on a level by the Nifforum and I found looking for it every time I opened the editor tedious. I've used it quite a bit, and I haven't seen any stability issues. I find it raises my productivity considerably, so I guess the project has been worthwhile.

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
    • Twitter @Raicuparta
« Reply #216 on: June 02, 2012, 12:52:06 »
Thanks for the update.
Chrome is warning me about the editor zip, telling me it can be dangerous. This didn't happen with previous versions, have any idea what this could be about? Or could it be a new chrome feature?

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #217 on: June 02, 2012, 16:12:08 »
Chrome is warning me about the editor zip, telling me it can be dangerous. This didn't happen with previous versions, have any idea what this could be about? Or could it be a new chrome feature?

I've heard Chrome marks every executable it encounters as "potentially malicious" unless it has been individually whitelisted.

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
    • Twitter @Raicuparta
« Reply #218 on: June 06, 2012, 14:12:18 »
Ok, really weird problem... "Test Level" now opens Knytt instead of Knytt Stories? Can someone test this, maybe it's some crazy problem on my side. Also the title of the window is always just "map".

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #219 on: June 06, 2012, 15:39:26 »
To fix the test level feature open the EditorSettings.Temp in the Worlds folder. Change the executable line to the proper name. I may have messed it up somehow, but I don't remember.
Code: [Select]
[ego]
Executable=Knytt Stories Ego.exe

As for the title, I use it to print messages to myself while programming. Currently it tells which window has focus. You should also be able to make it say, "ini," "tab," and "none." The current version wasn't supposed to be a release version, but I sailed past the cutoff date without noticing it.

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
    • Twitter @Raicuparta
« Reply #220 on: June 17, 2012, 13:03:52 »
To fix the test level feature open the EditorSettings.Temp in the Worlds folder. Change the executable line to the proper name. I may have messed it up somehow, but I don't remember.
[ego]
I should have mentioned this before, but everything was ok in the EditorSettings file, that wasn't the problem. I just redownloaded KS and your mod and everything seems fine now.

Is there a way to have multiple triggers in one sign? I mean if I have Sign(A), Sign2(A), all the way to Sign5(A), could I have a sign trigger in Sign2(A) and another in Sign3(A)?

Another question, when I use a trigger to spawn an object, how do I choose in which layer it is created?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 13:44:13 by Raicuparta »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #221 on: June 17, 2012, 17:42:45 »
[ego]
I should have mentioned this before, but everything was ok in the EditorSettings file, that wasn't the problem. I just redownloaded KS and your mod and everything seems fine now.
I don't know what was going on there then. I checked my editor settings file and it said "Knytt Stories Ego.exe" and it worked even though I renamed the executable "Knytt Stories.exe". My guess is MMF2 uses a windows host function to locate the correct program, and Windows will guess at the solution when there's a problem.

Is there a way to have multiple triggers in one sign? I mean if I have Sign(A), Sign2(A), all the way to Sign5(A), could I have a sign trigger in Sign2(A) and another in Sign3(A)?
Sorry, there's only one Shift and one Trigger per Sign. However, you might get more Shifts by spawning a Sign area to the screen. When the player is touching 2 different Sign areas only one sign will show. It's possible you could use this to your advantage. I should mention that Sign A will always call Shift A and/or Trigger A. There's no way to change that either.

Another question, when I use a trigger to spawn an object, how do I choose in which layer it is created?
The spawn will appear on the same layer as the Trigger. Within the layer it is just below the Trigger regardless of its xy coordinates.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 17:44:17 by egomassive »

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
    • Twitter @Raicuparta
« Reply #222 on: June 20, 2012, 15:45:52 »
I think I found a bug. I'm trying to use timed shifts, and everything works fine until I try to use a shift that goes to a different screen. If a timed shift points to a different screen, Juni will show up in that screen after the given time but will start falling through solid ground, only stopping if there's something deadly in her path. During this, it is impossible to control her movement. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, maybe it's really a bug.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #223 on: June 20, 2012, 19:29:32 »
Wow. That sounds like a bug. Hmm. If it is, there's nothing I can do about it at this time. *Looks into it...*

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
    • Twitter @Raicuparta
« Reply #224 on: June 20, 2012, 19:38:29 »
Yeah, you had announced the hiatus before so I'm not really expecting any of this to be fixed too soon. I'll just keep going and hope the mod has been updated by the time I finish the level, which won't be for a few months.