egomassive's Knytt Stories Plus mod

• 1097 Replies

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
Re: egomassive's Knytt Stories mod
« Reply #195 on: May 09, 2012, 19:26:57 »
At best, I could make it a menu option.
Well I should definitely make it a menu option, as well as a few other options. :) It wasn't a good idea to make people edit Data\UserScript.lua to change such things.

Raicuparta, what are the features that you want to use in your level?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 19:28:36 by GrayFace »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #196 on: May 09, 2012, 19:52:25 »
@ toenail: Thanks for discovering the missing files, toenail. I built this release on the last one which was also missing them. They apparently got lost between ego-beta-5 and ego-beta-5b. I've re-upped the current build with the missing images, but if you already have the images from a previous release then you shouldn't need to re-download.

I've tested the current editor by downloading, unzipping, etc. I'm not experiencing any problems. Can you describe what you're experiencing, and the steps you took to make it happen. Maybe post a screenshot.

By the way, thanks for using my editor to make a level. I'm stuck at the mansion.

@GrayFace: Writing to a lua script certainly isn't something a casual player is going to do. The main problem I see with it is that you have to go look up how to do it before you can use it. I'm guilty of this myself with the mappable keys. I'm pondering a better solution for that. Anyhow, I tried out quick deaths (no white, timer 50) and I'm really not sure if it's something I want to implement. The burst of white can sting sometimes, but without it there's no punctuation between lives. It feels like you teleport back to the save point rather than die.

Edit: I forgot to mention a few things about this release. The editor mod scrolls faster when holding down the arrow keys. I'm not sure if the mouse wheel bug is fixed. I'm without a proper mouse at the moment.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 22:10:00 by egomassive »

Offline toenail

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 10, 2012, 09:21:53 »
Hello,

I redownloaded the latest version just to make sure.
I am still having strange behaviour.
It happens when I try adding a savepoint. I haven't tested further.

here is a link to an video I made of the issue.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24597379/test.swf

By the way, in the mension,some of the cats might be inside, others outside.

EDIT : apparently, it happens for all object layers for me (4 and above)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 11:09:16 by toenail »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #198 on: May 10, 2012, 18:33:47 »
@ Toenail: The link you provided 404'd me, but the description was helpful. I know what's going wrong now. When I postponed the preview drawing, I didn't set the map.bin back to the room being edited. Yikes! Sorry for the blunder. I'll have it fixed in a hurry...

Edit: It's fixed. Get it in the opening post. Incidentally this solved a bug that no one knew about. Voids with previews at the edge had the potential to show wrong numbers for tilesets being shown.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 19:32:22 by egomassive »

Offline toenail

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 10, 2012, 20:33:37 »
Apparently, there was an error in the link.
I only have my phone to access Internet so it is not always easy to check what I type.
The extension should have been swf. I don't know what happened. i am glad you found the error anyway.

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #200 on: May 10, 2012, 22:03:28 »
I hate to bug you with this, but would you mind adding a version number to the .zip so I can be sure I'm updating with the most recent file?  Silly perhaps, considering all your doing, but it seems helpful.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #201 on: May 11, 2012, 19:17:13 »
...would you mind adding a version number to the .zip...

I know my version handling needs improvement. I'd put the editor's version in it's .zip, but I haven't decided how to number the editor yet. Heads up, when the game gets out of beta I intend to change the name to KS++ so the 1.2.ego.number.letter will disappear.

Offline toenail

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 14, 2012, 11:23:54 »
With the lastest version of the editor (and the one before I think), the shotcuts for flood fill do not work anymore (shift+left click).
Is this an error or did you remove it ? Since, the help does not explain it anymore, I am not sure which it is.
If possible, I would love to have it back in the editor as it saves a lot of time.

Also, I have a question for the map powerup. Is there a way to hide screens in it ?
If I use the MapX / MapY, the position of Juni is correctly displayed on the map at the specified location. however, the screen itself is visible as an empty not visited rectangle.
Maybe you already explained this somewhere but I could not find it.

Thanks

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #203 on: May 14, 2012, 12:38:48 »
Yeah, I was having trouble with flood fill yesterday, only instead of not working, it was filling with the wrong tile.   O_o

And because it needs to be said again, this editor rocks my socks.   C)p

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #204 on: May 14, 2012, 18:03:20 »
@ Toenail: I must have broken it. I removed the instructions in the help>about in anticipation of a working context bar.

Progress report: Been working on the Shift dialogue. Populating the droplists will take some time to code. I'm afraid screen changes will be slow due to all the searches this tab will have to perform.

Offline Pie_Sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 14, 2012, 19:21:35 »
Progress report: Been working on the Shift dialogue. Populating the droplists will take some time to code. I'm afraid screen changes will be slow due to all the searches this tab will have to perform.
You might consider waiting on any tab-specific setup until the tab is actually open.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #206 on: May 14, 2012, 20:52:01 »
@ Pie_Sniper: That is how it works. I meant scrolling rooms with the Shift tab open may be slow. I'm not sure that speed is important, but I'm trying to write all things in a fast way. Though often times, I have no way of knowing what is a fast method since I don't know what MMF2 is doing behind the scenes.

So, I solved the fill/replace bug that toenail and Headgrinder found. The original code relies on a rather odd statement to decide which tileset to write from. The fact that the tileset tabs now change color to match the background color breaks the statement. I had fixed it for the normal draw method, but had overlooked it in the special draw methods.

I don't think the fill/replace is a big enough issue for me to make a release just for it, especially since I'm in the middle of writing something and I don't know what problems might arise from that half-baked code.

Offline toenail

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 15, 2012, 11:56:04 »
Hi,

I have a new bug with a very strange behaviour when mixing coin shifts + artifacts + custom artifact image.
When the screen contains an artifact, for example Artifact2#2 (bank 19 / obj 159)
if the artifact has a custom design, for example your cat animation)
and if the screen contains a shift with a coin value, for exemple ShiftCoin(A)=2
Then the shift tile displays the custom artifact image corresponding to the coin number and the artifact is not displayed anymore.
But I can't get the artifact at the shift position. It is still at its designated place and you can catch it.
I tried several shift option (visible=false...). It does not change anything.

To make it clearer, here are 3 screenshots :
- in the editor
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24597379/bug/editor.png
- in game with custom graphic
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24597379/bug/ingamecustom.png
- in game without custom graphic
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24597379/bug/ingamestandard.png

I saw it first with artifact2. I tried quickly with artifact1 and it appears to be the same problem.
Strangely, if you have several artifact on the same screen (mixing 1 and 2)
This is very strange. Hope you can fix it. It should not be a problem for me as the shift is higher than 7 currently. I only put 1 to test the level.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #208 on: May 15, 2012, 19:30:21 »
^That^ blows my mind. It's completely crazy that all these elements together should reveal such a bug, but I tried it and it is exactly as you say! Thanks for putting so much effort into the error report. *gives a star* This ought to be fun to track down.
Edit: It was something rather simple. With override custom object the original object is still there, just invisible. To pair the 2 objects I've reserved a space in every object to hold an ID. The problem was that I used this space in the Shift object to hold the coin number. It would have happened to any CO sharing the same ID as the ShiftCoin number, not just artifacts.

Edit: 16May2012: I've released a new version of the editor. The Shift tab is complete. The context bar is working for the map editor, but it only describes objects in bank zero. I would very much like to accept a volunteer for writing the rest of the object descriptions. Any takers? Get the editor beta 2.2 in the opening post.

Edit: 18MAy2012 Progress Report: Fixed a problem in the editor and made a release yesterday. That was version ego.2.2b, so you may already have it. If the Sign tab breaks on empty rooms you should update. In other news, the Trigger tab is complete (unreleased) meaning I'm halfway through the dialogue portion. Four more tabs and the editor will be complete. :)

Edit: 20May2012: :( I was hoping this wouldn't happen this year, but it looks like MMF2 and I are parting ways for the summer again. The KS mod is basically complete. I'm debating the addition of custom Sign fonts. Also, I was implementing an interface for mapping keys. With luck I'll get that finished before I lose access to MMF2. The editor mod has bugs I haven't been able to reproduce intentionally, so I haven't been able to track them down. With the release I'm making now, most of the room based scripts can be edited with the script dialogue. I'll be using both programs this summer, so hopefully any bugs will be found by Autumn when programming recommences.

Get the editor version beta ego.2.3  in the opening post.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 08:02:31 by egomassive »

Offline toenail

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 20, 2012, 15:44:57 »
Thank you for spending so much time on your editor.
I used the previous version and the improvements from the standard version are amazing.
If I can make a request, I would love to have a simple way to choose/verify the coordinate of the current screen to be displayed on the map.

Also, I have in some cases a strange bug. Sometimes, the sign tab does not display messages for sign2 or higher.
I have tried targerting the cause but I could not find out why.
If you take a look at my level, go to screen x994y1007 and you will see that sign2(B) is not found by the editor.
It is not a big deal.

Appart from that, I love you mod. I know you are not planning on modifying it further. From my point of view, I am missing 2 things which would have helped me in my level design:
-hidding a screen from the map upgrade
-adding the custom character for the flags

Now that my level is finished (hopefully not too buggy this time), I will take a break before trying to create a new one.
In any case, thank you for your hard work.

update : the tabs on the latest version (2.3) do not work for me. The sign tab is OK but the warp tab displays the sign tab, and then all the others are wrongly placed.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 16:10:04 by toenail »