egomassive's Knytt Stories Plus mod

• 1097 Replies

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
Re: egomassive's Knytt Stories mod
« Reply #180 on: April 29, 2012, 02:23:08 »
@ Grayface: My plan has always been to add the script editor, and then read through your editor to find all of your improvements. I may just go ahead and read through it now, because the CPU usage when it's doing nothing is ridiculous. You fixed that didn't you? Delaying the previews a cycle or 4 is a great Idea.

OK, I have re-released the editor mainly to fix bugs. This has a more robust internal command structure. Tilesets are prevented from loading during validation cycles. The focus controls have been altered so that keystrokes don't duplicate and it doesn't capture keystrokes when it isn't the active window. One actual bonus is the ability to change the color of the line between the canvas and the previews.

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 29, 2012, 09:31:42 »
The link to download the editor doesn't seem to work.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #182 on: April 29, 2012, 19:17:35 »
Editor link works now. Should have checked it. I spelled ego with a lowercase e on the new file by mistake.

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 29, 2012, 22:28:59 »
Are you planing on having multiple styles for the titles? I think they are an excellent addition but would just look bad on most scenarios. What I don't specifically like is the black background and the antialiased font for the main titles. The second problem isn't a big deal, but it would be really cool if we could at least choose color and transparency for both font and background, if that is even possible.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #184 on: April 30, 2012, 02:18:15 »
I tried to make a large raster font for the titles but it looked awful. The style of the original sign font does not lend itself to large non-antialiased letters. I did my best to go with something neutral, readable, and true to the original game. As for changing the colors and styles... I just looked and it's possible to add a font map at run time, so I guess I can add that ability. You'll have to make your own images like the ones I've posted in this thread.

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #185 on: April 30, 2012, 09:41:29 »
I may just go ahead and read through it now, because the CPU usage when it's doing nothing is ridiculous. You fixed that didn't you?
In my case it was happening when it's minimized, because I unchecked "Run when minimized" in project options.
It's easy to make it use minimal CPU when inactive by putting all code into a group that is enabled only if the window is active (which I check with my extension). Also the selection square should be hidden when the window is deactivated. That's what I've just done for the next KSEx version.
Edit: Also had to move World.ini editor out of that group and only use Activate/Deactivate group when state changes between active and inactive, at first I did it on every cycle.

Delaying the previews a cycle or 4 is a great Idea.
I think 1 cycle would work fine.

Edit: Now I've also decided to make adjacent screens preview.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 21:06:42 by GrayFace »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #186 on: May 04, 2012, 23:52:49 »
I added the ability to change Title/Subtitle graphics. You'll have to make them monospace with specific letter deminsions, but if you're a pixel purist *I'm looking at you, Raicuparta* or just want to customize everything, then we're one step closer. This will be in the next release of the KS mod with details on usage.

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #187 on: May 05, 2012, 18:47:39 »
There's one thing I really missed in your mod when playing toenail's level. It's quicker death. In my mod with proper config death takes less time and there's no white flash. By default there is white flash and death takes as much time as in original KS.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #188 on: May 06, 2012, 07:04:15 »
I understand the appeal of quicker restarts, but I don't think it fits with my goals. Playing The Machine or even Shipwrecked on my mod should be identical to playing on KS 1.2.1. At best, I could make it a menu option.

I experience the same thing when I play with the original KS. First, I have to scroll through the pages to find the level I want. Then, I can't zoom! How, did I live like this?

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #189 on: May 06, 2012, 10:50:06 »
Yes, I remember I kept 2 or 3 (I think 4 at most) pages of levels back then and now with the mod I'm so lazy that I have 12.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #190 on: May 06, 2012, 22:16:38 »
There's a bug with flags. They never stop executing. I found the culprit and fixed it. The editor is still being buggy. I thought I had eliminated the multiple execution of commands, but pasting in the script pad repeats. Also, the script dialogue has stopped responding to changes made in the pad. :sigh: MMF2 is so difficult to work with. I'm very much ready to wash my hands of it. I'll finish these projects first though.

Edit: Hooray, all known bugs in the editor seem to be fixed. :) I added the ability to choose your default level format. Levels for my mod are now format 4 to prevent other versions of KS from trying to open them. Changing the default format is to ease the process of using my editor to make official KS compatible levels. Just remember to change it back if you decide to use mod features.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 05:44:46 by egomassive »

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #191 on: May 08, 2012, 12:38:56 »
I would attempt to give you a star for every update you give, but I don't want your ego to get too big.  har har.

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 08, 2012, 13:25:12 »
Those recent fixes, are they in the currently available version?

A while ago I announced that I would be porting "Time Fixes Everything" to Gray's mod. Turns out some of the features I chose Gra's mod for are actually in Ego's mod instead, and vice-versa. I think I messed it up after playing the demo levels of both mods one after the other and also because Ego's new objects show up in Grey's mod if Grey's new objects are disabled in the options. So I'm back to analyzing both mods and deciding which I could make best use of.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #193 on: May 08, 2012, 23:43:41 »
@ Raicuparta: Sorry about my objects showing up in GF's editor. I originally didn't intend to make an editor so I had to add the icons to the standard folders to use them in existing editors. GrayFace has been good enough to implement his editor in a way that it can co-exist with my mod, and truthfully there's no reason you can't use his editor to make levels for my mod. Also no, I haven't released the any of the recently mentioned fixes. I might as well get on with it.

Edit: I got on with it. The latest stable builds of the game and the editor are available in the top post. The Game mod includes a fix for flag warps and the ability to customize Title/Subtitle fonts. I forgot to include instructions for custom fonts so I'll include that here. The editor is more stable, but is far from complete. A new feature in this release is the ability to set your preferred format. This will ease the process of using my editor to make official KS compatible levels. In the Tools menu select "Change default format", then set it to 2.

Spoiler: custom fonts (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 00:42:14 by egomassive »

Offline toenail

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 09, 2012, 09:05:49 »
Apparently, there are no objects in bank 19 anymore.

And when I try the new editor, the screens Gets mixed up for some reason.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 09:11:59 by toenail »