egomassive's Knytt Stories Plus mod

• 1097 Replies

Offline rainulous

• I never picked up the key.
    • View Profile
    • Hartje Music
Re: egomassive's Knytt Stories mod
« Reply #120 on: March 24, 2012, 02:10:18 »
Wow, that looks great. And not too much changed (position-wise) so it will be easy to adapt to.
Thanks for the stars, everyone!

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 24, 2012, 12:04:31 »
Looks great. The only thing I don't like is the look of the layer selection. You probably made it like that so there wouldn't be unused space there, but if there is one part of that layout that is not immediately clear for new users, it's that.
Maybe you were also trying to place the 0123 layers above the tileset area and the 4567 layers above the objects area, but it doesn't look like it is intentional, which is why I say it might be confusing at first.

Offline rainulous

• View Profile
    • Hartje Music
« Reply #122 on: March 24, 2012, 15:01:55 »
I have an idea, I'm not sure if it's been thought of yet, but hey. You could make the music buttons toggles, so you don't have to press down to keep playing them.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #123 on: March 24, 2012, 20:58:57 »
@ Raicuparta: :( Huh, actually I really wanted a graphical representation of layers. Plain numbers versus overlapping planes, I thought it would make their purpose less obscure. And yes, I intentionally separated them over tiles and objects according to usage even though they don't really fit.

@ Rainulous: That's a good idea, but I'm not sure what the best implementation would be. Many would miss the current click-and-hold configuration if I changed it. I could put toggling on a right_click or a shift+click set up like other parts of the interface, but that seems completely non-intuitive. I could add a menu option (like Looki's "Show Custom Objects") where you can set your preference, hold or toggle.

Progress report: Made a few tweaks to the map editor and I've been cleaning up the program quite a bit. I started work on the .ini dialogues. There are many design challenges here as well. I'm positive the layout will be tabbed, because there's a lot of instructions that can go into the script and not a lot of room to display them.

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 24, 2012, 21:17:38 »
@ Raicuparta: :( Huh, actually I really wanted a graphical representation of layers. Plain numbers versus overlapping planes, I thought it would make their purpose less obscure. And yes, I intentionally separated them over tiles and objects according to usage even though they don't really fit.
I have no idea why, but it didn't even cross my mind that those were overlapping planes to hint at the layers, it seems really obvious now but for some reason I didn't see it like that before.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #125 on: March 25, 2012, 00:55:30 »
^: Well, the numbers really ought to share the perspective of the planes they sit on. I was worried about readability, so I didn't even try it. It's a weird angle for pixel art. Maybe a touch of anti-aliasing wouldn't hurt. We'll see.

Progress report: I haven't worked on it since yesterday. :P

Offline rainulous

• View Profile
    • Hartje Music
« Reply #126 on: March 26, 2012, 02:18:39 »
Antialiasing is like deadly poison.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #127 on: March 28, 2012, 21:55:51 »
Progress report: I've finished with the menu bar. It was more work than I had imagined. Some things now work as you would expect them to, e.g. copy. Other things are new or have new functionality as detailed here:
Spoiler: new menu functions (click to show/hide)

I implemented Rainulous's request. If you right click on a sound preview button it will stay on until it is right or left clicked. Using the "play all" button will shut off the other buttons. Changing a value will turn them all off, but this may change in the future.

I also did away with another MMF2 Developer-only extension. I have now rid the program of all the developer-only extensions I know of. However, I'm not sure that none of the extensions I'm still using don't fall into that category, and I don't know where to look up that info. It's my hope to make the source editable by standard versions of MMF2, to make it more accessible for future modders and myself if I ever find myself without access to MMF2 Developer.

Edit: 30Mar2012 Progress Report: I've successfully added Sign(A) to the script dialogue. I know that may not sound like much, but there was a LOT of ground work that had to be laid out. Building the rest of the dialogue should be simple in comparison.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 23:13:42 by egomassive »

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #128 on: April 01, 2012, 23:42:53 »
Holy crap dude, just got interested in making a new level after accidentally deleting all my old work, and decided to try some of the mods.  This rock so deeply my friend.  I will be using this for my next level for sure!!!

Edit: ahh...well, maybe.  Just realized that this is primarily a world.ini issue rather than an editor mod, and I am pretty handicapped with world.ini  programing.  Still, things to think on.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #129 on: April 02, 2012, 12:19:06 »
@ Headgrinder: I'm confused by your second statement. I'm now currently working on a Level Editor mod to go with the nearly complete Knytt Stories mod I made. Although a lot of the added functionality of the KS mod relies on ini instructions, I tried to keep it as simple as possible. For example, replacing the graphics of a standard object only requires a sprite sheet and three lines of instructions:
[Custom Object 1]
Bank=2
Object=1
However, there are many additions that don't require any coding at all. The 50 golden creature collectibles and golden blocks (like keys and key blocks) require no instructions.

To simplify things further, I'm modding the Level Editor to streamline ini writing. There will be a text pane containing the script, as well as a dialogue pane similar to the 3rd party tools interface. As changes are made in one pane they will show up in the other. The editor will also include a status bar that will briefly describe what the mouse hovers over.

I have added a lot of stuff to the program and some of it is pretty complex, like combining shifts and triggers to create animations. But, I don't believe it's any harder to use than the original KS, and I'm willing to answer questions about it's usage.

Progress Report: I implemented the Test/Set_Start icons with flags. The expanded map and compress screens have been altered to fit the new dimensions. The Sign dialogues are nearly complete, and I've begun work on the Warp dialogues.

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #130 on: April 02, 2012, 22:34:19 »
Oh, I'm glad you are working on a level editor mod!  Very exciting.  I was just saying that I thought you already had one... some of the statements and pics made me think that.  And by coding I mean things even as simple as...

[Custom Object 1]
Bank=2
Object=1

If my statements seem confusing, it's because they are.  :D  I didn't read the whole thread, so I didn't gather in all the details.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #131 on: April 03, 2012, 00:15:02 »
[Custom Object 1]
Bank=2
Object=1

Oops! This needs an image declaration.
[Custom Object 1]
Image=MySpriteSheet.png
Bank=2
Object=1

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #133 on: April 04, 2012, 02:54:25 »
I need a little help here. I'm trying to add a second kind of sign to the KS mod. I want to use a larger version of the font seen in the normal sign, but I can't find the font. It appears to be a monospace version of Silica. Silica costs $149 US! But, I haven't seen it in monospace, so it probably isn't Silica anyway. If anyone knows what font the signs actually are, or if anyone knows of a good alternative please share your knowledge with me.

The new sign will be for titles and subtitles. When you enter a room it will fade in the tile, cross fade to the subtitle, and fade out. You can use just the title or the subtitle as needed. The Title Sign will not reappear until the player has encountered a Title Sign containing a different message. The purpose of this is so you can label areas of the level without the use of sign posts and give in-game credits.
Spoiler: example usage (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 02:56:33 by egomassive »

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #134 on: April 04, 2012, 05:25:44 »
The lack of certain characters in the font makes me wonder if Nifflas created it himself. Similar fonts I know of are Courier / Courier New (both monospace, but certain characters differ greatly) and Museo Slab.