egomassive's Knytt Stories Plus mod

• 1097 Replies

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
Re: egomassive's Knytt Stories mod
« Reply #75 on: October 18, 2011, 13:33:16 »
One thing I figured is that having minimap show up in the corner of the screen and being able to play with it always on is no good, it ruins immersion into the game. I'll see how a bigger minimap would turn out.
I've actually implemented a colored minimap with Active objects by using 216 frames with different colors, that is 6 grades of each component. The good thing is that color is stored in 1 byte this way. Performance of detailed minimap showing miniatures of screens is unsatisfactory (with Active objects), but with 1 color per screen it's all fine. To get the color I use Pixel Object from LIJI pack. I think I can even add pretty good support for warps, but not for flag warps and shift animations.

There are simple tools in my mod to allow good mapping despite warps and shifts, but old levels obviously don't make use of them.
That sounds really interesting.

Edit: Well, I like the way my map turned out (see the attached image). I still don't want anyone to develop a minimap addiction, but now I'm pretty certain I will include the map in KS Ex. I don't know if I want it on by default or not.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 16:09:17 by GrayFace »

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #76 on: October 18, 2011, 23:23:07 »
This looks great!

I'd say, make the minimap off unless a key is pressed/hold. If its always visible, it should be small as in: the size of a screen is perhaps 3x2 pixels, and a total of 5x5 screens are shown at a time around you. Optionally, using a keypress to get the full minimap.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #77 on: October 19, 2011, 00:11:12 »
That does look nice GrayFace. Using pre-colored frames is something I thought of, but I've been focusing on other improvements while I consider what I want to do with the map if anything. How are you determining which color the rooms are? Are you averaging the entire screens or just sampling a potion? This would make the map considerably more useful.

@ BloxMaster: My concept was that the player knows the area they are in without a map. The map only shows the shape of the regions they've explored. It's greatest value would be in seeing where you haven't been. However, GrayFace's map coloring method looks promising. I'll have to try out his next release and see if adds value.

"Map spoofing" as I'm calling it works simply. In any room that is a clone of a mapped room you simply add the coordinates of the real room in the World.ini.
Code: [Select]
[x950y1000]
MapX=1000

[x950y950]
MapX=1000
MapY=1000

[x1000y950]
MapY=1000
When opening the map from any of the above screens, it would be drawn with x1000y1000 as the center. If cloned rooms are put at least 13 screens away from the edges of the real map then they will never been seen. The map only shows up to 12 rooms in every direction for a total of 25 by 25, 625. This only works for cloned rooms though. If you clone an entire section of the map (e.g. day and night versions of the same map.) Then each section will have to be explored separately for them both to appear on the map.

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #78 on: October 19, 2011, 03:09:39 »
I'd say, make the minimap off unless a key is pressed/hold.
I came to this conclusion too.

That does look nice GrayFace. Using pre-colored frames is something I thought of, but I've been focusing on other improvements while I consider what I want to do with the map if anything. How are you determining which color the rooms are? Are you averaging the entire screens or just sampling a potion? This would make the map considerably more useful.
I feel like using limited number of colors is only doing good for the map, because close screens often get exactly the same color and it looks good.
Determining the color is pretty interesting:
1) I take color samples from a number of pixels. There are 7x3 points, 4 adjacent pixels in each (to average patterns). See attached image.
2) I average the color.
3) I choose one of the sampled colors that is closer to averaged color.
Spoiler: code (click to show/hide)
Also don't forget (as I did) to hide the map for a moment before taking the color of screen. :)

"Map spoofing" as I'm calling it works simply. In any room that is a clone of a mapped room you simply add the coordinates of the real room in the World.ini.
It won't solve the problem with warps. For example, the one in A Strange Dream which warps around the level. Maybe something can be done for that kind of things too...

The map only shows up to 12 rooms in every direction for a total of 25 by 25, 625.
Exactly the same for my map :)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 03:13:59 by GrayFace »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #79 on: October 19, 2011, 16:31:37 »
It won't solve the problem with warps. For example, the one in A Strange Dream which warps around the level. Maybe something can be done for that kind of things too...
I really can't imagine how to work that. Maps are often chaotic with bits of level scattered everywhere. Making the map function smart enough to recognize when a warp stitches sections of the world together versus a warp that simply brings the player back from a duplicate room is daunting. Then it would have to resolve conflicts when rooms overlap. The wrapping point of A Strange Dream happens in a secret passage with a bit of strangeness in it. I don't see it as a problem if players finds themselves at the opposite end of the map. In levels with seamless wraps like Mashu Prappa the map may make the world seem less seamless, but our experiences in the real world with real maps has trained us for that sort of thing --maps have edges, not the planet.

I'd say, make the minimap off unless a key is pressed/hold. ...
I'm thinking of changing my method for showing the map. Currently it appears if you double tap the E key. Press E again to shut it off. Alternately you can toggle it's display with single presses of the M key. (Holding the E key highlights the screen's edge. Something I feel is useful during full screen play on dark levels.) I will keep the M key as is. The E key I want to change to Tap then Hold for map reveal. Ultimately, I want to make a large inventory display that will be displayed the same way using the Q key for Tap-then-Hold display and the I key to toggle display. I plan to have this implemented in the next release, so you can try it out. My main concern is that I've never heard of such a control scheme, and I'm wondering if there's a good reason for that. My affinity for console video games makes me feel I should never have to move my hands to use all the controls.

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #80 on: October 20, 2011, 10:06:57 »
Holding the E key highlights the screen's edge.
I'd prefer it to switch highlighting on/off.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #81 on: October 20, 2011, 16:13:49 »
I don't want to break the mood, and it's consistent with the inventory bar's behavior. I guess I could give edge highlighting a secondary key like the map and extended inventory displays. We'll see.

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #82 on: October 21, 2011, 03:15:00 »
I've found a way to handle different tricky situations with the map. I've made 3 commands: move, show, hide.
"move" works like yours, moving one map square to a new place (with possibility of overlap with an existing square).
"show" adds view from square #2 underneath current view when you are in the square #1. So, in case of warp like in Mashu Prappa you would add view from the left side of the world when you are on the right side of it and vise versa. In case of The Machine you would show the dark map underneath colorful map when the machine is off, so it looks like the map is being recolored as you go.
"hide" simply disables the map on selected square and doesn't show the square on map when you move to other squares.
All commands may operate on rectangular areas of squares instead of one square: "x0y0-x10y10 move x100y100" would mean 11 by 11 rectangle [x0y0, x10y10] would be moved so that x0y0 would become x100y100.
The format is actually pretty free-form. The script only checks the strings for key words "move", "hide", "show" and takes all numbers from the string as parameters.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 04:17:35 by GrayFace »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #83 on: January 12, 2012, 11:15:18 »
I've released a new version, KS12e3. All 50 golden creatures and 100 coins are included, overrideable, and golden. Coins can be used for commerce. Power-up graphics can now be replaced including the inventory images. Map viewing key presses are streamlined. The edge highlight can be kept on. And the biggest change, keys can be mapped by placing these instructions in the Settings.ini found in your Knytt Stories folder:

Code: [Select]
[Keys]
Up=Up
Down=Down
Left=Left
Right=Right
Walk=A
Jump=S
Umbrella=D
Item=Q
Holo=W
Nav=E
Edge=H
Map=M
Inv=I
; updated 03 Dec. 2012

Note: The default controls are listed above. The last 4 lines are specific to this mod. "Full" has not been implemented. Play the updated Features Demonstration to learn about the others.

Almost forgot, when testing from the editor press 3 to see the collision mask. It may take a while, because it tests every pixel on the screen for solidity.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 20:30:17 by egomassive »

Offline Widget

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 12, 2012, 11:54:11 »
I'm a big fan of the new E key behaviour for pulling up the map. It took me a moment to realise what was meant by "tap and hold" but it's a very comfortable action once it's familiar and feels a lot more "knytt-ish" than the previous incarnation.

Being a sucker for collectibles I love the whole coin system too and the golden creatures are looking fantastic.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #85 on: January 12, 2012, 21:56:25 »
Glad you like it! I've put a lot of work into those collectibles, and I have a lot more to do. 49 artifacts and a full inventory to track your collection. (The full inventory will open just like the map using the Q and I keys.) Exploration has always been one of the main draws for Knytt Stories. Collectables can only strengthen it in my opinion.

I should have mentioned this before, but there are currently a limited number of keyboard keys available for mapping, Letters A-Z, Arrow Keys, and these symbols [ ] ; ' , . / namely left bracket, right bracket, semicolon, apostrophe, comma, period, forward slash. I'm not familiar with non-Qwerty boards, so if more keys are desired please let me know.

Edit: 17Jan2012: While altering the code for the Drop Crawler, 4:7, so it would shoot in all directions when stopped by the invisible walking creature blocker, I inadvertently broke it completely. So, version 1.2.ego.3b fixes that. It also fixes the shooting of the other Drop Crawler, 4:6, in the same way.

Edit: 31Jan2012: I've been programming obsessively this week. Finally added color to the map, and I love the difference it makes. I'm using the the same 84 sample points GrayFace uses in his mod, but the color pallet is only 64 compared to his 216. It's my hope that a limited color pallet will give uniform results. I've also altered the mapping routines to give better results for faked locations.

There's a new feature inspired by Super Juni Land, screen tints. By simply adding Tint=# (where # is a number representing a color) to a room in the World.ini. The screen will tint without the flashing seen with COs. Adding Tint=0 to a room's logic shuts it off. Under the hood it's actually a re-purposing of the mini map's background, a black tint normally.

These changes and many things too minor to mention will be in the next release. I don't know when that will be.

Edit: 5Feb2012: I've been working on the full inventory. This is a display similar to the mini-map that shows what collectibles you've found. I'm making it dynamic, so it will only show information for items you've found. For example: If you've only picked up golden creature type collectibles, then only the creature chart will display and it will be centered. However once you find an artifact, the creature chart will move to the side to share the screen with the artifact display. The point of the dynamic display is that if a level doesn't contain collectibles of all types, then there wont be any empty slots to fill at the end of the game. The only part, I'm not happy with is what happens when no collectibles have been found --it shows an empty screen. How can I convey an empty inventory without words?

Another addition is Keyboard Tiles. If Juni touches them they override player control, emulating keystrokes. I'm not sure how useful they'll be outside of animated "cutscenes", but I leave that to level designers.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 13:18:12 by egomassive »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #86 on: February 06, 2012, 22:36:47 »
The forum has been so inactive these last couple of days, I'm just going to double post. That last post of mine is getting too long anyway.

I've finished the first version of the full inventory screen. (See attachment.) It has 4 areas; the item bar, Artifacts, Golden Creatures, and Coins.

Spoiler: In depth explanation (click to show/hide)

I'd appreciate feedback on the layout, especially if anything looks confusing. Expect to see it in the next release. No release date has been scheduled.

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 07, 2012, 13:19:52 »
not sure about the usefulness of the equation, and I think personally I'd put the artifacts icons next to the bars instead of on them, because now they look like sliders you'd want to move. other than that, looks and sounds really sensible/good. :D
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs:

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #88 on: February 07, 2012, 14:06:46 »
I agree with Paula. At first sight, I thought they were sliders.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #89 on: February 07, 2012, 15:24:31 »
Sliders, I never thought of that. I'll move the icons.

On the equation, I need a simple way to express how many Coins have been found. This is complicated by the spending mechanic, since your current total may not be the overall total. How can I express the 2 totals in a simple and obvious way? The equation is a good attempt, but it doesn't indicate there are 100 possible.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 15:26:10 by egomassive »