egomassive's Knytt Stories Plus mod

• 1097 Replies

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
Since I now have access to MMF2 through a friend, I am going to finish making this mod and release it to the public. My access however is suspended for the summer. In that light I have decided to release what I have so far as a beta. I have rewritten the opening post to describe the features and provide a link for download. I will appreciate your opinions and bug reports. Enjoy.

Offline PeppyHare4000

• My time in this forum is over...
    • View Profile
Re: egomassive's Knytt Stories mod
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2011, 04:48:02 »
What i am going to do is play knytt stories with your mode for the search convienence but i will still
edit with the regular KS until this mod has become popular so people don't complain about installing a mod.

This mod seems to have great potential!

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2011, 08:49:41 »
^: I understand not making levels for it yet. I plan to make my big level, TTok, on my mod which should be a good incentive for installation. Though, even without special levels the improvements to level installation, level selection, and whatnot are good incentives in themselves.

Anyway, thanks for trying it out PeppyHare4000. Being a lunatic level player, I'd really appreciate your feedback on the gameplay of my mod versus KS1.2.1. My engine has a little more bulk than the official release --mainly due to Juni's replaceable graphics-- and I'd like to know if you notice any differences, especially with movement.

Offline PeppyHare4000

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2011, 13:20:22 »
Hmm... you know about my difficulty preference in knytt story levels. Interesting...

So far, i have experienced no difference except for the convenience of the new last installed and last played features and the click on level automatically after installing.

I played a level that was on Very Hard difficulty and there was no lag or anything. Keep up the good work...

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2011, 00:39:46 »
I discovered a big mistake today. Several bank 4 creatures get created twice. I believe this is due to incomplete Golden Creature code. I copied the creatures into the Collectibles bank but I didn't alter the function calls, so they get called there too. This will result in many levels being harder than intended. Only 2 months are left before I can resume work.

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2011, 19:57:27 »
Do you have a thread or web site that is dedicated to the current capabilities of your mod?  I know I've seen threads about it in the past but didn't see anything after a brief search.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2011, 21:45:46 »
This is the only place to discuss it for now. The main ways to know what it can do and how to do it is by looking at the demo level and reading the "Animation Instructions.txt" both included in the download. "Animation Instructions" includes not only instructions for making Override Custom Objects (OCO) and Custom Characters, but also all the new World.ini commands. I'll copy the current text here for convenience.

Spoiler: Animation Instructions (click to show/hide)

Offline PeppyHare4000

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2011, 15:22:31 »
Found a glitch...
For right moving lasers, if there is nothing to stop it and it returns if it goes to the edge of the screen, it will not turn on until it moves left... might want to fix that!

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2011, 15:32:03 »
Found a glitch...
For right moving lasers, if there is nothing to stop it and it returns if it goes to the edge of the screen, it will not turn on until it moves left... might want to fix that!

Well, you've correctly identified the issue I necro-bumped the Going Left thread for... to think this was the one normal Knytt Stories level I chose to play in ego's mod. Finished it now, great level!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 16:21:44 by sergiocornaga »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2011, 00:29:29 »
Thanks guys. To make the moving lasers play nicely with Override Custom Objects (OCO) I had to rewrite their behaviors. I remember taking advantage of MMF2's default behaviors to initialize them. Then simply toggling their behavior on collisions. Obviously, I never considered what happens when they reach a screen edge. Oops! I'll add this to the bug list.
Edit: I took a closer look. The lasers are managing to bounce off the left edge twice --due to the change in speed I'm guessing. This causes them to toggle their behavior twice. This doesn't happen when bouncing off a solid object, because there's a "Push Out" function that pushes objects out of walls before they can cause a problem. No such function exists for the screen's edges.

I discovered that I forgot to add an animation-helper object to the to-do list, one that would hide Juni while you run an animated picture of her. It was sitting in my wish list, which I haven't shared nor will share because I don't want people to anticipate features that most likely will never happen. I'll add this to the to-do list.

Development resumes in about 2 months. I can't wait!

Edit: 02August2011: I have discovered another bug. If you delete the last played or last installed level and then filter for it in the selection menu, you can open up an empty level. I'm shocked that the game doesn't freak out. It just puts Juni into the void. I'll have to alter those level filters to anticipate deletions.
Edit: 03August2011: The bug I thought I found yesterday was actually a pre-existing one. The one where sometimes a level only gets partially deleted. So, not my fault.

I did re-discover another bug where empty signs don't show. This is suppose to happen if there is an existing second message, but it does it whenever there is a missing first message. I want the empty box to appear for legacy purposes, even though empty message boxes are almost always level designer mistakes.

Development resumes at the end of the month.

Edit: 23August2011: Development resumes this weekend! :)

Edit: 30August2011: So, I have been working on this again. I have fixed all the bugs I know of, and added some new functionality. I will get the new version up for download as soon as I get it squared away, a day or 2.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 11:32:34 by egomassive »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2011, 07:05:11 »
I'm double posting to let you know version beta ego 1 is out. This release mainly fixes bugs found over the summer, but it also includes timed/delayed shifting and animated shifting. Check out the updated features demonstration level packed with the mod to see them in action. Download the zip file in the opening post.

Edit: 03Sept2011: I've fixed the Sign so that a blank sign will appear if a first message exists but a second message does not. This fix will only help make the engine backwards compatible with levels that have blank signs, but I fixed it anyway.

More importantly I've improved character visibility handling. Now, the player character will no longer briefly appear in her old position when shifting to a new relative position on a new screen. I've also improved the Animated Shifting in the same way, and I've added visibility safeties for character changes during either of these instances. These changes will not only improve new levels, but old ones as well.

These fixes will appear in the next release. I'm not sure when that will be. I'd like to work on it a bit more before I make another release.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 10:06:29 by egomassive »

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2011, 20:33:35 »
More importantly I've improved character visibility handling. Now, the player character will no longer briefly appear in her old position when shifting to a new relative position on a new screen. I've also improved the Animated Shifting in the same way, and I've added visibility safeties for character changes during either of these instances. These changes will not only improve new levels, but old ones as well.
Do you mean the character does appear in old position on a new screen for a brief moment in original KS? That's strange...
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 20:35:24 by GrayFace »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2011, 09:49:35 »
Do you mean the character does appear in old position on a new screen for a brief moment in original KS? That's strange...
Yes. It probably isn't noticeable on a fast computer, but It happens. It even happens when scrolling screens, but it is less noticeable because the player is partially outside of the playing field on a scrolling screen change. I test the engine on my old laptop to make sure I'm not bulking up the game to much, but I'm sure you could see it on a fast computer if you run a lot of other programs in the background.

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2011, 10:52:49 »
Got it, fixed it too. To check that it works right I decreased framerate.

In another topic you wrote:
For the record, the KSDS jumping and falling animations were also altered in that they don't hover above the bottom of the frame as they do in the originals.
Do you mean there's some graphical glitch in the original? I don't understand what you are referring to.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 15:15:10 by GrayFace »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #59 on: September 21, 2011, 08:27:45 »
No glitch. Some of the sprites for Juni in KSDS are positioned differently within the animation frames. I guess it has something to do with the engine being re-written for that port.

I decreased framerate.
Why didn't I think of that? I'm always watching very carefully when I could just slow it all down. Doh!

Edit: 28Sept2011: I've added OCO support for the rest of Bank 14 and bank 18. That leaves 2 banks to go. Woo! I can't wait to finish this part because it's the biggest and most boring part of the project, repeating the same steps for most of the objects in the game.

I've run into a mystery while testing OCO support for the Water Thing, bank 18 object 6. It only has a single direction it can face, right. When I check it's facing sometimes it reports left. This is a problem because I ask the original objects which way they are facing, so I know which way to face the custom graphics. If I instruct it to face right then it reports correctly, but I don't like telling it to do what it's already doing. What gives? I'm afraid I'll have to make sure all objects that can only face one direction know which way they're looking. I probably should go report this at the ClickTeam forum.

I've been considering turning the golden creatures into spirit creatures or something like that. After participating in the thread about currencies for Knytt/WaDF golden creatures seem a little too materialistic for the Knytt universe. Same problem with the 100 coins. So, I would like opinions and suggestions for these collectibles as well as the 7 types of artifacts I want to incorporate.

Edit: 29Sept2011: I was going to report that the OCO support is complete, but I just realized I haven't supported bank zero yet. The golden creatures are nearly finished too, only 7 of 50 left.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 23:21:10 by egomassive »