Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
Re: egomassive's Knytt Stories Plus mod
« Reply #900 on: August 22, 2016, 17:45:21 »
Get Knytt Stories Plus 1.2.7
Get Level Editor Plus 1.2.7

KS+ Updates:
  • Improved the timing of intro music. You can tweak the gap between intros and songs for yourself by opening up setting.ini and changing the IntroMusicGap setting. (You must run KS+127 or newer once for the setting to appear) The number represents how much sooner the song starts in milliseconds.
  • Found missing button highlights in the menus and added highlights for the custom control interface.
  • Made doubly sure ambiance will not continue to play after resetting.

KSLE+ Updates:
  • Fixed spelling of "individually"
  • Overwrites "Nifflas - Template" world if it exists before attempting to make a new world.
  • Switched to a slightly smaller info.png image for the world template.
  • Could not find a cause for compressed files named something.knytt.knytt.bin unless users choose to name the file something.knytt
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 18:01:16 by egomassive »

Offline EhPlus

• phoomp
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: September 27, 2016, 14:28:53 »
Might be a bit late, but I'm always glad to see Knytt Stories still receiving love. :)

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #902 on: September 28, 2016, 12:24:46 »
Thanks to this bump, I noticed egomassive needs to update the "Last update" text next to the downloads on the KS+ webpage!

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #903 on: September 28, 2016, 17:40:07 »
Thanks for the heads up Sergio. Those dates let visitors to my website know I still maintain KS+. *fixed it*

Oh, Thank you for the 200th star EhPlus! It's taken me since June to receive the last two I needed. There's no doubt the KS community is in it's Autumn, but that just makes KS a classic. I think KS+ was a success at adding a little more life to KS over the last few years, and I'm pleased with that. I still have a couple levels I'm working on, and I certainly wont be going anywhere until at least The Tree of Knowledge is complete.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 18:01:08 by egomassive »

« Reply #904 on: October 05, 2016, 21:29:37 »
I just tried to make an OCO of Bank3Obj12 using the template from the Templates.zip thing, and for some reason, whenever it does the jumping animation, it stops at the frame just before the one it's supposed to stop at.

(The one on the left is an OCO, the one on the right is an actual Bank3Obj12.)

What do?

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #905 on: October 05, 2016, 22:41:29 »
@StraightFlame: It took me a minute to figure out what was wrong, and I was sure I had fixed this once before.  <_< The problem is in the template image. It's only 167 pixels wide instead of 168. How the engine manages to read frames 6 and 11 I will never know, but frame 20 doesn't exist as far as it is concerned.

« Reply #906 on: October 17, 2016, 08:57:20 »
First of all, i forgot to thank you for that thing with the Bank3Obj12 template, so... thanks.

I've got a different OCO-related problem now: I tried to replace the weird nonsensical helicopter-thingy on Bank2Obj24 with a weird nonsensical jetpack-thingy, like this:

...but it looks like this in-game:

(It looks like this on every frame, and only the black part is affected. Also, i did the same for Bank2Obj15, and it works properly.)

Is there any reason for why this is a thing? And is there any way to fix it?

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #907 on: October 17, 2016, 10:34:55 »
I believe MMF treats pure black as transparent sometimes. If you use the eyedropper to select the same shade of black used elsewhere in the image (which is probably 1% red) and replace all the pure black, it should render properly.

« Reply #908 on: October 17, 2016, 17:19:08 »
Well, my Bank2Obj15 OCO works with pure black, so obviously that means your solution is wrong, and therefore i refuse to acknowledge the fact that you helped me with this issue i probably wouldn't have been able to solve otherwise!

(Seriously though, why does pure black work for 2-15 but not for 2-24?)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 19:08:34 by StraightFlame »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #909 on: October 18, 2016, 22:33:32 »
@ StraightFlame: I can't think of a good reason pure black would be invisible on one but not the other. In reality an OCO is always the same kind of object, a Custom Object. Associating it with a game object tells it where to be, which frames to show, and what speed to play those frames. The association shouldn't have any effect on how the CO interprets black. It's possible that the OCO on 2:15 works differently because it never changes the animation pattern. From creation it loops the first 4 frames forever. Maybe something strange happens to the 2:24 OCO when it updates to the attack pattern. Whatever the cause is, you should never use pure black in a CO.

@Sergio: Thanks for fielding the original question. :)

Offline plural

• twice shy
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: October 19, 2016, 18:29:55 »
Because I use pure black constantly in custom objects, I can tell you that the problem is with that and to fix it just make the custom object one pixel wider on the left because the black is colliding with the edge. ego's right and it's not something you should probably ever do if you don't want to deal with problems like this, but my rabbit hole is too deep.

Most of the time any actual transparency in the custom object that includes pure black will force the pure black portion not to be transparent but sometimes it doesn't. I tested it and this image* works, I just added one more pixel of transparency to the left side of the image. It doesn't seem to offset or squish the image in any way even when the object would take up the whole KS screen but has pure black, it will be transparent if it's completely filled, add one transparent pixel to it and it renders as it should without altering anything else. I'm not sure why this one is different but I think it's because the pure black fully collides with the edge of the image and bank=/object= custom object parameters tend to be finicky sometimes.

« Reply #911 on: December 29, 2016, 23:30:45 »
So, uh... there are a few things i noticed while making OCOs.

• Bank3Obj20 looks slightly different when she's facing left (especially her hair), but OCOs just mirror the right-facing frames. (Fun fact: The Knytt Stories DS object files don't have the left-frames either.)
  • My Bank3Obj42 and Bank3Obj43 OCOs only do the ear-wiggle animation once before switching to something different, but the real ones do it three times.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #912 on: December 30, 2016, 05:55:02 »

• My Bank3Obj42 and Bank3Obj43 OCOs only do the ear-wiggle animation once before switching to something different, but the real ones do it three times.

I think at this point it would be best to leave them as they are. I wouldn't want to change the behavior on anyone who might have already used the cats as a base for a custom object.

As for the girl, I think I knew that she looked different when I programmed her OCO. It would've taken a lot of special code to make her OCO work differently than the others and it's a pretty trivial difference.

« Reply #913 on: January 01, 2017, 02:10:14 »
I just made OCOs for Bank4Obj10 and Bank4Obj11, and the shooting animation doesn't play if they're "facing" downwards (i.e. they just walked downwards before shooting). Instead, it just does the downward walking animation. (When they're going upwards, the shooting animation works like it should.)

I made them exactly like KS+ Instructions.txt says to, but here's one of them anyways, just in case i still managed to do something wrong somehow.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #914 on: January 02, 2017, 00:17:39 »
Get Knytt Stories Plus 1.2.8

New year, new version. This fixes the downward-travelling firing error StraightFlame described in the post above. It affected OCO's for all four of the strangers, as they are named in the source, as well as the two wall climbing ninjas. Since the actual objects only have upward-travelling animations for the firing sequence I hadn't programed for downward-travelling firing sequences on the OCO's. *star for StraightFlame*