egomassive's Knytt Stories Plus mod

• 1097 Replies

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
Re: egomassive's Knytt Stories mod
« Reply #90 on: February 07, 2012, 16:39:04 »
How about: items found / items to find for section / items total? or maybe just: found / total: example: coins: 31 / 52
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
    • Twitter @Raicuparta
« Reply #91 on: February 07, 2012, 17:39:14 »
Yeah if they are in the toolbar already, and if the toolbar is visible whenever the menu is visible, then I think it isn't necessary to point out the number of coins twice.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #92 on: February 07, 2012, 23:07:12 »
After my last posting I came up with this. (See attachment.) I moved the Artifact icons off their bars. More importantly, I replaced the equation with a Coin bar. The hashed part indicates Coins spent. The bar appears after finding your first Coin. If no Creatures and no Artifacts have been collected, it will center itself vertically.

You can't see it but, if you open the inventory before finding any collectibles, a question mark appears in the center. This is to indicate that the screen has a purpose even if the player doesn't know what it is. I'm designing the mod to enhance the playing experience on old levels as well as new ones. Old levels obviously wont have any of my new collectibles in them.

Offline Firecat

• Every bit is important.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 08, 2012, 02:11:00 »
You can't see it but, if you open the inventory before finding any collectibles, a question mark appears in the center. This is to indicate that the screen has a purpose even if the player doesn't know what it is.

Incidentally, i was going to say that GrayFace's Extended Version uses the same system when the map is used in a screen with the "hide" command on it.
There's 110011 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary, Those who don't, and those who confuse it with ASCII.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #94 on: February 08, 2012, 12:48:33 »
Oh egomassive, your UI designs are always so clean... I'm loving the latest iteration.

Another addition is Keyboard Tiles. If Juni touches them they override player control, emulating keystrokes. I'm not sure how useful they'll be outside of animated "cutscenes", but I leave that to level designers.

It would be cool if this could somehow apply to NPCs. Actually, now that I've thought about it for more than a second, this might be possible to fake using some of the other features of your mod, which would probably be more fun to implement anyway.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #95 on: February 08, 2012, 19:52:41 »
I've now added Artifact Flag Warps. I know it sounds weird, but this is how it works:
Code: [Select]
[x1000y1000]
Flag(A)=true
FlagWarpY(A)=artifact1
If you set a Flag Warp direction to an Artifact, then the player will warp a distance equal to the number of that artifact collected. In the example code, if you have 3 red Artifacts you will warp 3 screens down. This means you'll need a room for each possible outcome, 0-7. If you set Artifacts to X and Y directions you'll have 64 possible outcomes which is insane. You may have noticed that you can set a flag to "true". This is so you don't have to test something unrelated for Artifact Flag Warps.

I'm nearly finished with this project! I'll release the current version as soon as I update the Features Demonstration level that comes with it.

@Firecat: Sometimes it's hard to tell who's copying who when it comes to GrayFace and I. I may have been unwittingly inspired by his mod. I'm sure I got the idea from some game.

@Sergiocornaga: Thanks. There are a lot of thing that would be cool. Moving platforms, jump-through platforms, and custom AI to name a few (which all happen to be available in KS Ex.) But, from the start I wanted to make sure my mod's features could be easily used by anyone already familiar with Knytt Stories level design. It was also very important not to change the feel of the game (which is why swimming got scrapped.) Making this mod and Knytt Stories in general has made me think of how I would make a custom-level oriented game from the ground up, and I may do that someday. But for now, I'm more interested in making this mod feel like an official release. (P.S. Which all means a programmable NPC is outside my goals.)

Edit: 09Feb2012: Version ego beta 4 is released! Get it in the opening post.

Edit: 20Feb2012: I discovered an error in the map system. If you spoofed to a location that didn't exist, a void, then a never ending loop occurred and the map wouldn't shut off. I naively thought that the the room in the center of the map must exist, because that's where you are. But, with the ability to spoof locations and enter voids this isn't always the case. It is now fixed and will be in the next release.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 07:57:18 by egomassive »

Offline Firecat

• Every bit is important.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 28, 2012, 12:35:14 »
Also, did you know that 19:14 (One of the collectible creatures) Kills you when you try to collect it?
There's 110011 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary, Those who don't, and those who confuse it with ASCII.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #97 on: February 29, 2012, 01:28:41 »
Some golden creatures require the hologram power. 19:14, a turtle-like Knytt that extends spikes when approached, is an example of this. So is the golden static spiker, 19:28.

ETA: Thank you for testing the mod Firecat. Are you making a level with it?
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 01:39:13 by egomassive »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #98 on: March 14, 2012, 03:02:52 »
I've been looking into making a level editor for this mod. My main goal is to add a better World.ini editor. I will be building from Looki or GrayFace's editor. So far the only thing I've done is get rid of those flashing selection markers. I've replaced them with rotating, yellow/black dashes (See attachments.) I've retained the expandable selection functionality Looki implemented, but I had to rewrite most of it because it was completely incompatible with my dashes.

Don't know at this point if I'll continue making an editor or not. I really don't want to distract from The Tree of Knowledge, but this editor would be a huge productivity booster. I'm also facing zero access to MMF2 again this summer.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #99 on: March 14, 2012, 03:38:35 »
What degree of control do you have over the selection? Can it be irregular, or only a rectangular shape?

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #100 on: March 14, 2012, 13:35:06 »
Currently, selecting has the same functionality as in Looki's editor, which allows rectangles that must be drawn from top-left to bottom-right. I would like to add irregular shapes, but I'm not sure it would be worth the effort. Were talking vastly more complicated selection routines, new user interfaces, new painting routines, new "undo" methods, etc. One thing I'm sure I'll add is the ability to draw rectangles in any direction.

Help Wanted
I'm considering the addition of Help Contents. While reading through the source I discovered functions I never knew of. For instance, I knew you could flood fill with a Shift+LeftClick but I didn't know you could paint a pattern larger than a single tile or that you could replace all tiles of a kind with a Shift+RightClick. And that's only 2 of the many things I've just learned about the editor in the last few days. Most of it's pretty obscure stuff that doesn't belong in a tutorial, but I'm thinking it should be documented somewhere. Although I'm confident in my ability to write clear descriptions, this isn't something I have to write myself. Is anyone interested in helping me author it?

Edit: 14March2012: Omnidirectional selecting now works on both the canvas and the tileset. You will be able to choose a tile and expand into a larger selection in any direction. It's one of those things that seems like it should be compulsory if you're going to include area selections, but it was surprising how much extra code it required. I really need to stop indulging in these trivial matters and delve into the meat and bones of what I want to do to the editor.

Edit: 14March2012: Quick question. Is anyone interested in a 300% zoom for Knytt Stories. My mod currently includes a 200% zoom for screens over 1200px wide. A 3 times zoom would require a screen over 1800px which is becoming common with HD 1080. I don't have a monitor that large, so I don't know if a pixel perfect scaling would look noticeably better.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 00:37:30 by egomassive »

« Reply #101 on: March 16, 2012, 08:26:15 »
Greetings.  I am having fun creating a level, and I am trying to use your mod for the collectable artifacts.  But I seem to be having a problem with custom images for them.

I am able to get the item bar icon to show, so I know I have the Custom Objects folder correct.
I have added in the Artifact1=MyImage.png into the world.ini.

The only thing I can think of that could be wrong is the image itself, not following the template correctly.  I can't find a template to match the artifacts.  I'm not entirely sure this is the problem, but it's my last guess.

I appreciate any help.  Thank you for an excellent mod!

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #102 on: March 16, 2012, 18:29:00 »
@ DennHenda: Well this is embarrassing. Custom artifacts don't work. I implemented whole lot of features when I "added" that one. I must not have tested it. I'll figure this out and put out a new version of the mod as soon as possible. Thanks for finding this bug, sorry for the trouble it's caused you, and welcome to the forum.

« Reply #103 on: March 16, 2012, 19:53:52 »
Ah, it hasn't caused any trouble.  Thanks for letting me know, I would have sat there for hours just trying to figure out where I was messing up.

Take your time on it, sir.  And thank you again!

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #104 on: March 16, 2012, 22:37:00 »
I've fixed the issues discussed above, and a slew of related bugs that I discovered because of them. I say slew, but it was really just one bug repeated 50 times in the Golden Creatures logic.

To illustrate custom collectibles I've created a new demo level, Customnibus, which can be found in the download on the opening post. This brings us to version Knytt Stories 1.2.ego.4b. And having just written that mouthful (handful?), I am reminded that I'm still looking for a proper name. KS Ego, although appropriate, seems too personal to me.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 22:44:24 by egomassive »