egomassive's Knytt Stories Plus mod

• 1097 Replies

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
Re: egomassive's Knytt Stories Plus mod
« Reply #465 on: February 24, 2013, 07:22:58 »
Tint is enabled and disabled similar to a flag. The intended usage is to enable it at all entrances to a tinted area. You will also need to disable it (or change it) at all exits. I set it up this way to keep the World.ini smaller --large World.ini files affect performance. There are tool tips in the editor, but they're overly simplified. *star to PI for discovering this oversight* Here's the entry I'll be adding to the instructions txt:
Spoiler: instructions (click to show/hide)
Interesting fact: The opacity was chosen based on Super Juniland by Jerom, and I'm quite tempted to re-release it as a KS+ level utilizing the feature that it inspired.

@Willxinc: Ah. I see. That cloud idea of yours was pretty neat, but I'm not convinced I should make an object specifically for that purpose. I'm also skeptical of the usefulness of an object that is attached to the player's position. Maybe you could tell me why you want it? For the things you want to do it sounds like you want programmable objects. KS Extended may be a better fit for your needs.

@Plural: You are officially being ignored even though I think you're brilliant and should be listened to.

@Sergio: The alpha adjusting tools at my disposal are limited. I don't think I can add or subtract from the alpha channel. This discussion has given me a new idea to try though. edit: I hate MMF! I found an extension that's supposed to be capable of creating these effects, but it wont run. And, Clickteam has decided to archive their forums so that Google gives me nothing but dead links! >(

« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 15:51:38 by egomassive »

Offline willxinc

• Will 'XCS'
    • View Profile
    • Self Hosted Site (On Rarely)
« Reply #466 on: February 24, 2013, 17:57:51 »
Essentially, you create a custom object that's 2x the screen size (in width and height) that way no matter where it is, it's always filling the screen and then in the centre you create a radial gradient going from transparent to black. I currently have one created and set to 2:32 which kinda works but is slightly behind the player when moving. (Set on layer 7 so that it doesn't kill player and with the gradient it causes a lightning effect.)
Spoiler: Screenshot here (click to show/hide)

As to the usefulness of an object attached to the player's co-ordinates. It wouldn't just be 1 object, there'd be 3 variations of it; one where it's always exactly where the player is, another where the x is where the player's is and the y is where it was placed, and lastly one with the player's y and original x. The one where the player is exactly is demonstrated above. As to the one's only following 1 axis you could design shadows, reflections etc.

Also, there's a-lot of unused banks, perhaps you could allow us to use even more for custom objects?

Oh and lastly, something interesting would be to add a switch to change the drawing blend mode of layers, not sure if you can do that in MMf though.

Anyways, these are just random suggestions, still an amazing mod.

Edit: So apprently KS Ex has a few of the features I want (darkness etc), as well as lua which would mean that I'd be able to hack in nearly anything I could think of. I was actually looking into it before I started using KS+ the issue is that it contains the lua scripting language which some people might not be comfortable with. Also is the fact that massive amounts of scripting probably wouldn't have a very good performance impact
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 18:15:18 by willxinc »

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #467 on: February 25, 2013, 02:02:32 »
I think I understand your point about a moving background with a still forground... yeah that would be weird.  And the objects might in deed need hundreds of frames.  It was just an idea anyway.  What about an object that scrolled a png according to where Juni is?  Again, just an idea.  Then, it could scroll eyes, a light, etc., back and forth according to Juni's movement.  

Ha!  Sorry, don't know why I'm trying to suggest this.  I just think it would be cool I guess.  :oops:

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #468 on: February 26, 2013, 14:34:19 »
I've released an official update, KS+ 0.9.6. This includes Sergio's suggestion for faster starts from installs --it wont read in your whole library before letting you play. And, I've tweaked an idea posed by Willxinc to allow you to change the way Tints are applied to the screen. You can Add, Subtract, And, Or, or X-Or the Tint to everything below. Also, you can change the alpha of the Semi-Transparency from 0 to 128. Details are in the Instructions.

I'll be updating the Editor and the Features Demonstration in the near future to reflect the addition of advanced Tinting. I've also realized that I forgot to include a way to make harmful OCOs safe using the script dialogues.

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: February 26, 2013, 14:49:08 »
Any chance of "zoom" being saved after closing the program?  :D  I don't think I saw you respond to that one.

Offline willxinc

• Will 'XCS'
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: February 26, 2013, 16:02:48 »
Well that was interesting, I was more referring to layers being added / subtracted (transparencies) rather then the tint's, ah well this is interesting.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #471 on: February 26, 2013, 21:34:33 »
Ah, I see Willxinc. As I mentioned before, the software this is made with has almost no ability to work with the alpha channel. If I can get the Surface Object extension to work, then I plan to allow designers to create masks to poke holes in the Tint --which is why I laid some of the ground work with the Tint itself. I'll also let you attach an object/mask to the player.

Headgrinder, I was totally going to do that, but I couldn't remember what it was I was going to do! I'll save the zoom setting in the next release. When multiple people complain about something, it's a good indication that it needs improvement. I use Ctrl+Z to change the scale and it doesn't annoy me at all, but I can see how it would be a pain if you prefer to use the menu.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 21:36:56 by egomassive »

Offline rainulous

• I never picked up the key.
    • View Profile
    • Hartje Music
« Reply #472 on: February 26, 2013, 22:11:19 »
Feature request: Full screen changes the resolution, as in standard KS. Would there be a way to have it so the mod would zoom, then go full screen so there's less/no blur? I prefer distraction-less full screen, but the it resizes all my windows in the process.
Also, it's worth mentioning that this works exceptionally well in Ubuntu with Wine. A few minor graphical bugs, but nothing too noticable.
Thanks for the stars, everyone!

Offline willxinc

• Will 'XCS'
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: February 26, 2013, 23:51:28 »
According to this
It was written by Looki, who's on this forum, or am I mistaken?.
Also, official help file for the extension is here
As well as a dead topic here with different versions of it. (dead as in not posted in for a few years.)

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #474 on: February 27, 2013, 10:06:18 »
Thanks Willxinc. The problem is there's something wrong with the installation of MMF2 I'm using. Anything that uses an executable to install extensions tells me MMF2 isn't installed. I have a similar issue with updates. This extension simply doesn't work on it. The program crashes if I open a file containing the extension, and the extension doesn't appear in the extension list. MMF2 is installed on someone else's machine so I hesitate to do too much. Possibly one of the older versions of the extension will work which could save me from these issues.

Thanks for the info Rainulous. I can't get the Linux exporter to work for the same reasons as explained above. Chances are there would be graphical glitches in a native version. ... The ability to scale and zoom in the same MMF2 program is an insane hack. I have tried to include your request in the past and become boggled by the complexity of the issue.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 10:09:07 by egomassive »

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: February 27, 2013, 10:49:31 »
Thanks for the info Rainulous. I can't get the Linux exporter to work for the same reasons as explained above. Chances are there would be graphical glitches in a native version. ... The ability to scale and zoom in the same MMF2 program is an insane hack. I have tried to include your request in the past and become boggled by the complexity of the issue.
Ah, I was wondering about the full screen mode too, as it is all stretched out on my pc and doesn't look good.
I use Ctrl+Z to change the scale and it doesn't annoy me at all, but I can see how it would be a pain if you prefer to use the menu.
I use that too at times, but my point is I always play in zoom, and I get tired of having to hit an extra key to play.  :shrug:  I'm grateful your fixing it though!  :D

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #476 on: March 01, 2013, 17:55:34 »
I have good news and bad news. I will let you choose which to read first.
Spoiler: Bad News (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Good News (click to show/hide)

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: March 02, 2013, 14:10:37 »
Sorry for your fed-upness.  Your extremely patient for sticking with this so long.  I'm liking the good news!

Offline Firecat

• Every bit is important.
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: March 02, 2013, 16:46:28 »
Could it be possible to put a CO on the same layer as the tint (As in, to render it over the solid color and then apply the ink effects to the result)? I think i could use that as a workaround for the lighting effects.
There's 110011 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary, Those who don't, and those who confuse it with ASCII.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #479 on: March 04, 2013, 17:10:32 »
I present to you KS+ 0.9.7
  • It remember your Zoom setting from one session to the next.
  • It can black-out the desktop at any zoom level. (Only tested on WinXP with zoom levels 100 and 200%.)
  • Using H to enable the edge highlights keeps them on for that game save.
  • You can attach an image to the player character's position. (See Attachment section in Instructions text for details.)
  • Detector glows appear before the Tint.
  • Tints no longer color the white screen seen upon death.

I decided to use a static image for the Attachments. This way you can have custom Attachments without them being affected by object flash. For complete instructions see the Instructions text included with KS+. The basics are that they are enabled and disabled the way Tints are. Use Attach=True or Attach=MyImage.png to activate or change the Attachment. Use Attach=False to disable the attachment. The default Attachment creates a primitive torch effect. I don't think my default Attachment is ideal, so I will accept contributions for a better one.

The "Hide Desktop" function can be activated with the menu, with F11, or with Ctrl+X. It can be deactivated with Esc (Escape), with F11, or with Ctrl+X. You cannot enter Fullscreen mode while it is active, but you can change the Zoom level.

When testing from the editor the remembered Zoom level will be used, however it will not remember what you change it to while testing. Also, "Hide Desktop" does not work in test mode.

@Firecat: I've worked on "torches" some more and come so very close, but no, I can't make anything I'm satisfied with. With Overlay active layer 7 is applied over the new Attachment feature. You might be able to create something convincing with CO's.