egomassive's Knytt Stories Plus mod

• 1097 Replies

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
Re: egomassive's Knytt Stories Plus mod
« Reply #435 on: February 04, 2013, 00:30:05 »
Weird, I distinctly remember editing that part of the Readme, but it is as you say. I could probably drop the KS+091 folder, but it's my preference to have everything extract to one folder when I extract a zip file, and I think it's better to have the Readme and Instructions outside of the Knytt Stories folder to help them get noticed.

You don't need a separate or fresh install of KS to install KS+. This would be less desirable in most cases because KS level libraries can grow to several gigabytes. You wouldn't want to have two libraries for active use. The Data folders alone would be 30 redundant megabytes. There is the disadvantage that the extra KS+ objects will appear in the original editor. This design choice allows you to use the original editor to make KS+ levels if you wish. (Which is what the 3rd step in the Readme is mainly about --that and shortcuts.) Maybe I should add + symbols to KS+ objects to make the distinction easier on novices.

I'll fix the Readme for the next release. If anyone else has opinions on the structure of the zip file I'd like to have your input.

Offline Firecat

• Every bit is important.
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: February 04, 2013, 00:41:40 »
is there a way to tell the editor to use that exe?

1.Open the "Worlds\EditorSettings.temp" file in a text editor.
2.Change the "executable=" line in the [ego] group for the name of the KS+ exe.
3.Save
There's 110011 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary, Those who don't, and those who confuse it with ASCII.

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #437 on: February 04, 2013, 12:56:13 »
I'll stand by your greater wisdom ego.  I just find it personally confusing is all, but I can deal.  XD 

Thanks firecat.  I'll probably just leave it the original name. 

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #438 on: February 05, 2013, 12:15:41 »
A new version of KS+ is out, 0.9.2. Get it at egomassive.com/ks.

While playing Cosmic Meltdown I discovered a few more issues with single-pass rendering. Spike-extending creatures could play their extending sound after screen changes if the hologram was preventing it before. Also, if you timed it right you could get 2 water creatures to rise if they existed on adjacent screens.

Font and umbrella templates were added. The Readme and Instructions files were updated. The zip file was rearranged after more contemplation over Headgrinder's thoughts.

« Reply #439 on: February 06, 2013, 15:22:33 »
I downloaded the new version you mentioned an hour ago and now whenever i try to make a new KS+ level for some reason it says "DirPacker Error: Directory exists". Did i do something wrong?

Edit: "Hour" being three hours.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 15:29:52 by StraightFlame »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #440 on: February 06, 2013, 21:52:12 »
@ ^: I didn't change anything in this release that should affect that. This error occurs if you try to create a new level but the folder "Nifflas - Template" already exists. If you do have a "Nifflas - Template" folder then something went wrong during the new level creation process. I can only guess at what might have caused this. Possibly the program terminated while making a new level, or the Template+.bin file was corrupted when you downloaded the latest version, or it was corrupted when I uploaded it.

Until I figure it out, try deleting the "Nifflas - Template" folder if it exists. Let me know what happens.

Edit: This is what I've found so far. If you create a level with a name that already exists, it will fail to rename "Nifflas - Template" to the name you chose. Then it opens the old level and pretends like nothing went wrong. But, the next time you create a level you'll get the "DirPacker Error: Directory exists" message. Does this sound like something you did StraightFlame?

Edit: A look at the code showed that I disabled the check that ensures you can't choose a level name that already exists. So if StraightFlame thinks this could have caused his problem, then I'll update the editor right away. *star to StraightFlame for bug find*
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 23:05:46 by egomassive »

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: February 08, 2013, 16:59:00 »
Ego, I'd like to bring this post to your attention:
http://nifflas.lpchip.nl/index.php?topic=5470.msg62168#msg62168

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #442 on: February 08, 2013, 23:58:29 »
I noticed that too while playing Some Room recently. I made KS+ hide Juni when changing positions on a shift. Then, I made it happen when you scroll too. Both of these give a slight improvement. However, I must have made it happen on any screen change and that is clearly causing issues here.

Edit: Updated KS+ to 0.9.3 and KSLE+ to 0.9.2. Get them at egomassive.com/ks.
KS+ no longer hides the character on shifts without position change. So, Some Room looks fantastic especially with "single pass render" enabled in the menu. The level editor now prevents the error caused by starting a new level with the name of an existing level.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 01:06:59 by egomassive »

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: February 09, 2013, 17:08:27 »
Using COs to replace the key graphics seems to be broken again, only the red key is working properly.
All the other keys just don't show up if you don't have them yet, but show up if you already have them (although you can't collect them).

EDIT: Well crap, it seems to happen to other power-ups too. Did the replacement method change?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 17:18:52 by Raicuparta »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #444 on: February 10, 2013, 01:25:07 »
What?! That's broken again! I must of had to backtrack to an earlier version at some point and lost that fix in the process. *sigh* If that's the case I'll have to see what else I changed around that time and make certain they're still there. Only 30 pages to sift through. :S

Edit: It was a different problem with OCO powers this time. So, I wont have to sift through this mega-thread. :) *star to Rai* Get KS+ 0.9.4 at egomassive.com/ks.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 05:27:51 by egomassive »

Offline toenail

• View Profile
« Reply #445 on: February 12, 2013, 18:57:35 »
I think i found a new glitch. Nothing serious really.
There is apparently some sort of memory of the last character Juni changed into.
In my level, at some point, you play with a different character (using shift). Later in the level, you are back to the default Juni.
However, at some point, you go through a shift with a new character change (different than the first one).
For just a tiny blink, I can see the first character appearing before it gets replaced by the new one.

To make it clearer, here is the sequence of events :
Juni -> shift -> char 1 -> shift -> Juni -> shift -> (char 1) char 2

As I said, it is nothing much. I was just surprised to see for a split second char 1 instead of char 2.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #446 on: February 12, 2013, 20:54:17 »
Interesting. The old graphics do stay loaded until the custom character is used again. Since I don't have access to the inner workings of the program I probably can't fix it, but I've already thought of a work around.

I found an issue myself. For some reason, playing a cutscene in fullscreen mode disables zooming. I looked but I haven't tracked down the cause yet.

Edit: Fixed both bugs. Get KS+ 0.9.5 at egomassive.com/ks. *star to Toenail* It was easier to fix than I thought it would be. I set the custom character's scale to 0 which is a hacky way to imitate invisibility from inside the object. I wish I could convince CO's to update a frame sooner, but alas, it will never be. Although the screen size check was set to run only once, I had it in the global events loop. This allowed it to run again when switching to cutscenes. I moved the code to another section of the program, which fixed the issue.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 22:44:49 by egomassive »

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
« Reply #447 on: February 17, 2013, 04:03:58 »
Is it possible to globally declare the overlay function or is it strictly a local bool?

Also, not sure if you saw this yet, ego.

Also, there seems to be a bug, perhaps with KS+, where going in between screens with the umbrella open, when there are a lot of "air-currents" on screen that there is a .25 second "lag" to load the screen.

Figured I'd mention it in case it is an issue with KS+.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #448 on: February 17, 2013, 04:47:02 »
I've noticed this too, on screens with a lot of waterfall objects. It appears to be a side-effect of single pass rendering, but it would be great if it could be fixed.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #449 on: February 18, 2013, 00:58:29 »
Single-pass rendering + too many objects = long screen load times. The length of the lag depends on the speed of your computer too. For original KS levels players can turn the single-pass feature off if they're experiencing problems.

I'm not sure there's a way to have constant load times and prevent object flash. I'd tell KS+ level designers to be aware of the issue and try to keep their object counts down, but that's a lousy solution. I'll have to give it some thought.