egomassive's Knytt Stories Plus mod

• 1097 Replies

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
Re: egomassive's Knytt Stories mod
« Reply #165 on: April 25, 2012, 18:02:32 »
To answer Headgrinder's question...

Progress Report: I have 1.5 of the 8 tabs in the script dialogue finished. Signs with Titles are complete. Warps with Flag Warps are partially complete. Originally I had planned finish all the tabs before releasing it. But, I suppose I could make releases as the tabs are completed. I'll have to finish the Warps tab at least. In the mean time, here's a picture of the whole editor...

Offline BloxMaster

• Master of the Bloxes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 25, 2012, 19:57:43 »
That is amazing, not much else to say. :)

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com

Offline B-Man

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 26, 2012, 05:45:51 »
Nice work! Lots of useful little additions there, particularly the on-screen sign editor and the preview of adjacent tiles. :)

Is there a possibility of viewing the diagonally-adjacent tiles as well? I realize that would require changing the way your editor looks now, but that might be a handy option to include if you get the time.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #169 on: April 27, 2012, 08:14:05 »
I've released a beta of the editor in the opening post. Be sure to read the tips posted there. Warning! Levels are saved as Format 4. Until I release the next version of my KS mod you will have to set it back to 2 in a text editor. Also, I'm sure there will be bugs, so back levels up before trying them in it.

@ B-Man: I don't see what benefit diagonal previews could have. It would make it harder to see where the canvas ends and the previews begin.

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #170 on: April 27, 2012, 10:03:48 »
Diagonal previews would also make it slower.
Bug report: Warp Up/Down/Left/Right show wrong absolute coordinates of screen. They count from the current screen instead of the screen where unmodified warp leads.
The fact that you always have to press Enter to apply changes to signs and otherwise you lose them when you switch to anything else on the panel is inconvenient and would cause lots of troubles.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 10:13:53 by GrayFace »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #171 on: April 27, 2012, 15:51:04 »
Thanks for the feedback GrayFace. I know hitting enter all the time isn't perfect, but I can't think of a better way to handle adding changes. The dialogue isn't meant to be a script editor in itself. It's to assist with writing to the pad. Adding things to the pad isn't permanent until you save, so it isn't a big deal to commit to everything you do in the dialogue.

Oops! I thought about the Warp destination thing before writing them, but I totally forgot by the time I got there. :oops:

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 27, 2012, 16:16:21 »
Some times pressing F3 to open the script editor makes it open and close immediately. I could reproduce it by opening and closing it a bunch of times with the clickable button, and then after the problem starts happening, it just keeps happening, but always only when using the F3 key.
Scrolling between screens is now significantly slower with the border previews, is there a chance we get an option to disable it?

Opening the script editor and then closing it makes the mouse wheel stop working on tileset, music, etc selection.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 16:18:06 by Raicuparta »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #173 on: April 27, 2012, 18:23:06 »
Tracking down that F3 bug was an adventure.
Spoiler: The F3 saga (click to show/hide)

I must admit I never tested the mouse wheel. I've been making this on a laptop. I haven't changed how that works, but I wondered why it didn't need a universal listener** the way mouse clicks do. I guess it does.

**There is one instruction that listens for mouse clicks, which sets an internal variable the other parts of the program query. Multiple listeners for the same mouse/keyboard event tend to interfere with each other unpredictably. The wheel probably worked before only because the program was smaller.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 18:29:26 by egomassive »

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 28, 2012, 15:31:52 »
This is really fantastic!  

I did find a small bug.  When you copy and paste, the tileset suddenly reports a fully transparent tileset found.  You just have to switch tilesets back and forth to get rid of it, so its super minor, but there.

I'm getting ready to try out the overlay.  Yeah!

edit: which I can't seem to get to work.  It's layer 2 that is moved to between 6 and 7 right?  And the command is overlay=true?

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #175 on: April 28, 2012, 18:09:55 »
I haven't released the version of the KS mod that includes overlays yet Headgrinder. I was working towards a release today, but switched to tracking down bugs in the editor. Thanks for the tileset-checker-false-positive tip. I'm getting that from the "Show Custom Objects" feature too.

Progress Report: I've been fortifying the internal messaging system of the level editor, and fixing other bugs as I discover them. I'll make an editor release once I've tested everything. I plan to make a KS mod release as soon as I update Features Demonstration with an overlay example.

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 28, 2012, 22:00:51 »
Oh, and I love the adjacent tile preview. That is so freaking handy for continuing ground and background tiles.  I'd be using this exclusively from now on if that is all you had done.

Offline Firecat

• Every bit is important.
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 28, 2012, 23:15:22 »
The "Delete Screen" function doesn't seem to work, you might want to fix that.
There's 110011 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary, Those who don't, and those who confuse it with ASCII.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #178 on: April 28, 2012, 23:36:24 »
I've made a new release of the KS mod, KS12e5b. This version includes the Overlay ability and an animated location indicator for the map.

It turns out that most of the editor bugs come from 2 things; sending instructions faster than the program can handle, and a bad focus handler in the script tabs. When the script is closed it leaves focus in a state where some keystrokes are multiplied. Therefore, instructions that toggle stuff like F3 and Ctrl+O would be ineffective. Some instructions that cause the map screen to redraw would restart the process midway causing tileset checker errors. The tileset checker uses multiple program cycles which is why it is vulnerable. Still working on it.

@Firecat: Already fixed, thanks for the report. It was just a silly mistake. The menu sent a command "erase", while the map editor looked for a command "delete". :/

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #179 on: April 29, 2012, 00:21:20 »
I simply removed all pauses, the process is done in one cycle in my editor and it works better this way. I think you should do the same, but postpone adjacent screens rendering to the next one or 4 cycles. During that cycles user would be able to change screen and so the editor would probably be as fast as it is without previews (only the previews wouldn't show up immediately). I remember doing one or two other optimizations to speed up the editor.
I recall the major one was removing overhead of World.ini loading and finding current screen in it. I tried to optimize minimap, but don't remember if I was able to or not. I probably wasn't able to speed up tiles and objects rendering in any way. I made it so that empty screens are loaded fast, if the minimap is also mostly empty then empty screens are loaded very fast.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 01:18:03 by GrayFace »