Savanna Tileset

• 20 Replies

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
Re: Savanna Tileset
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2010, 00:12:03 »
Yeah, I have to reiterate that I love the texture so very very much.  It's a wonderful change from the normal sharp and static textures.  You developed a nice solution to the background layer as well here.

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2010, 00:12:33 »
Very beautiful, but I think the outlines are too dark. It could be interesting to keep it the same, but increase its transparency.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2010, 00:33:34 »
@ Yohji: I remember seeing that. Too bad it wasn't finished. I was quite impressed with the details in the soil. ... It just so happens that I'm making a Saharan style desert set to match this one. I don't think the level they're for is meant to be African though. I've also made a New York style city set for it. I will make a swamp set too.

@ Grayface: The problem may be that the gradient is too light. The last sample pic uses default gradient 99 which fades to white at the bottom. On a darker gradient the outline is less noticeable. Also, the opacity is 40 to 60 percent on the middle-distance. (The mountains are straight black at 20 or 30 percent opacity.) I don't remember since I set it 2 months ago. It changes dramatically with the gradient.

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2010, 01:44:45 »
What I mean is set the transparency of only that dark border to something like 30, keeping the rest at 40 to 60. What do you think?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 02:15:04 by GrayFace »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2010, 19:37:47 »
If I make the middle-distance outline 30% opaque it will blend in with the mountains. I had subtle outlines on older versions, but some felt they should be darker. I think the outline reduces the realism, but it helps tie the foreground to the middle-ground visually and it anchors the trees. I don't intend to work on this anymore, at least for now. I have other tilesets to make. I'm sure it will never be perfect in everyone's opinions, but it is marked KS use/edit ok, meaning that anyone is allowed to use, modify, or borrow from it for Knytt Stories without further permission.

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2010, 04:07:25 »
I approve thoroughly.  I may have to start up Knytt Stories again...