Savanna Tileset

• 20 Replies

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
Savanna Tileset
« on: September 12, 2010, 15:29:03 »
I'm making tilesets for DJ Gopher's upcoming Wild World KS level. I struggled with this one for quite a while. It's a savanna. I'm very happy with the results.

I'm including two examples to show off how it interacts with different gradients. It also holds up well at night. I can't give you the tileset yet. I'll do that after DJ Gopher releases his level.

Edit Sept. 14, 2010: The tileset is now available below.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 00:37:36 by egomassive »

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
Re: Savanna Tileset
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 16:23:35 »
One of the best KS tilesets I've yet seen, from the looks of the screenshots.  I don't like that blocky stuff in the background, however - I can't even tell what it's supposed to look like.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 18:30:46 »
The blocky stuff is middle-distant terrain. I made it to look like the foreground terrain. I reduced the tan foreground tile to 60% opacity and varied the height. I know it's common practice to ignore the blocky appearance of the foreground when making distant terrain, but I made it look the same. This is partly due to the fact that Fredrik Andersson's Rough Sea Landscape tileset is being used in the level it's for. RSL's distant ground mimics the close ground, it's 100% pixel art, and it's simplistic. In that light, I probably have too much detail in the trees and rocks. RSL is also to blame for the weird highlighting on the collision areas. Or maybe, I'm to blame for putting an outline meant for rocks on grassy soil. Guess I'll take another crack at it after I get more feedback.

By the way, thanks for the praise Minmay. I know you don't give that out lightly.

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 20:05:56 »
I think the level of detail on foreground objects is very good.

The problem with the background is that it tries to mix a very granular and well-defined style (blocky ground) with a more "fuzzy" one (no outlines or shading, low contrast).  The problem is exacerbated by the level of detail on the background trees.  Basically, it's inconsistent.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 21:47:10 »
These are very stunning images. Great tilesets.

It is amazing how changing the gradient almost make it look like its a different tileset. Well done!
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Grookie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 15:19:17 »
Amazing
:turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle:
Spoiler: Archievements (click to show/hide)

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 00:35:23 »
From what Minmay said here and DJ Gopher said privately, I made some adjustments. The biggest change is in the middle-distance. I darkened the ground to ensure it's value stayed between the mountains and the fore-ground. I also added a subtle blue tint to the top edge. This helps define it on red gradients. The distant trees were too well defined in comparison to the ground they stood on. The trees now get more transparent as they get further away. In the foreground I altered the grass a bit to make each section less distinct. It's harder to pick out repetition now. (wasn't noticeable in the sample images) I didn't alter the highlights on collision tiles yet. I'm not sure if I want to.

If you're dying to get your hands on this tileset then you're in luck. I've discussed it with DJ Gopher and he says I may release all the tilesets I've made immediately. The others still need work. I'll be making a similar desert set in the near future.

Below is a before and after comparison with before over after, and the tileset.

Edit: The clouds are lame generic clouds. DJ Gopher didn't like my cloud concept, so I threw those in. Any suggestions?

Edit: Removed the old version of the tileset. Get the current version below
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 21:43:46 by egomassive »

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 02:55:51 »
The tree change helps quite a bit, though I still think the blocky background is rather ugly.  But hey, opinion.

Offline Comhon

• View Profile
    • comhon.cz
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 09:47:39 »
Nice tileset. One of the best i seen.

Offline Dj Gopher

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 02:10:08 »
I don't remember disliking a cloud concept?
But any way.. This tileset is fantastic.
The tree idea was very much needed to compensate for the transparent mountains, great concept / idea :D
However I still think the background blocks could benefit from having a slight outline, so they look like a continuation of the foreground. ;)
Thanks a bunch,
Dj.

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 02:34:56 »
These look really good ego.  The hair line cracks in the stone...  :shocked:  Very nice pixel art there.  And the varying shades in the collision layer look very good.  It is a nice way to create some variation.  As for background, I think it looks better but it does still look a little out of place... maybe it does need a slightly dark outline.   :huh:

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2010, 07:55:15 »
@ DJ Gopher: Remember this (see image below)? I said I might make a full screen gradient of similar clouds. And you said you weren't a fan of that idea.

@ all: The problem with outlining the middle-distant terrain is there are too many edge combinations possible. If I lose the clouds --you can get similar from dozens of default tilesets, then I'll have more room to work with. I'm going to experiment with outlines and more natural shapes.

By the way, the picture below is from Squaresoft's Final Fantasy VI, and it was used for educational research purposes. I was teaching myself how to draw a savanna. It's grass looks so much better than mine. I just couldn't translate it into vertical repeating tiles.

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2010, 08:19:00 »
This tileset looks amazing ! Great work  :D

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2010, 21:42:08 »
Latest version: I removed the clouds and gradients to make room for sloped middle-distant hills. The middle-distance also sports darker outlines. I had 3 tiles left after the changes, so I added dead tops for the foreground trees.

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2010, 22:02:23 »
Genius tileset, really. Now finally maybe someone will make a good African-themed level! (I know of just one attempt, the apparently abandoned Savanna Dance by Merdion - http://nifflas.lpchip.nl/index.php?topic=334.0 - and it was far inferior tileset-wise.)