[Challenge - Normal] Realms of the Pharaoh

• 29 Replies

Offline ozz

• View Profile
[Challenge - Normal] Realms of the Pharaoh
« on: September 06, 2010, 16:25:21 »
After a few months trawling through the Knytt worlds, I found that I'd run out of levels to play. The solution: whip up something myself!

The result is my first level, called Realms of the Pharaoh. My main aim with the project was to create a level that isn't geared towards hardcore players - it does get tricky at points, but (I hope) it stays at a degree of challenge that's achievable for everyone. It also features 100% original background graphics.

Comments and suggestions most welcome. I hope that you all enjoy it, as much as I've enjoyed playing your levels. Thanks!

Download: http://knyttlevels.com/levels/ozz%20-%20Realms%20of%20the%20Pharaoh%20v1.1.knytt.bin
Slight update: v1.1 makes it possible to return from the underworld, tones down difficulty in a few sections, and fixes a couple of graphical glitches.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 15:57:55 by ozz »

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
Re: [Challenge - Normal] Realms of the Pharaoh
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 20:01:21 »
This was incredible! Beautiful tilesets, terrific area design, everything was just wonderful. I enjoyed playing this very, very much. Thanks for making it! Just a couple of comments:

Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

Again, really enjoyed playing this, and hope to see more levels by you.

Offline lamarblake

• ICU
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 21:43:58 »
One word. Awesome.

Original background graphics fit KS so well.

Great game play. You're right, just tricky enough to make it thoroughly enjoyable even for the most hardcore KS gamers.

This is the kind of level that now comes few and far between.

Hopefully you'll make more!  :)

Offline ozz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 09:51:44 »
Thanks! I had a good time putting it together so I'm glad ya'll like it too.

Yohji:
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 12:23:16 »
Just awesome. Tricky but not impossible puzzles, marvelous designs  :D...I always searched a perfect egyptian-themed KS level and yours is it  ;)

Offline rrc2soft

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 16:49:16 »
Short and veeery good. Great tilesets, great level!

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 23:27:43 »
Amazing level! And it's your first one too. I enjoyed it a lot. How long dis it take you? I'm planning a level and want to know how about how long it takes so I can plan it.

Offline ortoslon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 04:02:04 »
playthrough (afterworld ending) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUDqb3MBeDI

Offline ozz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 09:28:16 »
Thanks for the feedback all (and the vid, ortoslon - interesting to see someone else play through!).

indemand: It took about 20 hours (or thereabouts) to make the level, from planning stage to upload stage. The graphics were definitely the most time-consuming part, and I think you could make a level this size with non-custom graphs in a quarter of the time.

Offline Morendo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 20:46:29 »
Excellent level. I enjoyed the look and feel of it greatly.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2010, 01:26:38 »
Nice level. The graphics were great. The layout was complex, but never so much that I got lost. The difficulty was pretty even throughout. I'm mostly impressed that it only took you 20 hours to make it, graphics included!

I did notice a graphic error that becomes a level error. On screen x1008y999 Juni can stand in the air. It's due to some extra pixels on tileset 252 above the statue's knee.

Offline Gorfinhofin

• Totally Sane Storyteller
  • Bugbears are cool.
    • View Profile
    • My World Famous Grilled Let's Plays
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2010, 03:07:31 »
Pretty good level. I noticed a small bug too. I don't remember on which screen, but in one spot where there's ice on the wall, you can get behind the ice and be sort of inside the wall, you know? I prescribe a small dose of invisible blocks.

When something smells, it's usually my monitor.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2010, 11:15:19 »
I looked at your level again. The effect you used with the ghost walls is brilliant. Was it your idea? I'm definitely going to use that with my ghost walls from now on.

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2010, 02:33:21 »
Lovely level!  I should figure out how to get the other ending now...

Offline ozz

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2010, 09:34:30 »
Thanks for the feedback all. And a tip of the hat to you, egomassive - A Knytt in Time and Shipwrecked were two of the games that inspired me to get cracking on level making. So thanks!

The ghost blocks I had seen before somewhere, but in that case they fully obscured the player. I initially made a kind of transperant pixel net over mine to make them see-though, but that ended up looking a bit clumsy so I just adjusted the transperancy in Photoshop. A bit time consuming but it was the effect I was after, and ya can't argue with results!

Oh, and rivenwanderer - check out the last minute or so of ortoslon's video to see how to get the alternate ending. You can find it at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUDqb3MBeDI
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 09:36:01 by ozz »