Knytt Stories image competition

• 31 Replies

Offline steynj

• View Profile
Knytt Stories image competition
« on: September 03, 2010, 02:26:59 »
Hey guys,

I need a rather large image created with Knytt Stories tiles and sprites for something awesome, and I think maybe offering a prize of some sort for the one judged best is in order (I'll think of something, possibly monetary?) so if you're interested, please post below. with your monitor resolution (this is important) and if you have more than one computer, post the largest resolution of the two (if you don't know how to find your resolution go here with javascript enabled).

Also, if you're just stopping by this thread and don't necessarily want to participate, please post your resolution anyway - as it will be helpful when I post the details of the competition itself
 ;)
No longer necessary, thanks to everyone who posted their resolution though.

If this is not allowed then by all means lock this.

EDIT: When you post your resolution please also post whether you're participating or not.
:)

EDIT2: Just some info prompted by A Clockwork Lemon: the image will be a background image for something (secret but will be posted after the competition ends) and the largest resolution posted will form the basis of the image's height. The image can contain lots of different sprites and tiles, or it could be very minimalist.

If you have any futher questions, just ask  :D

Confirmed Participants:
  • Purple Pineapple

Potential Participants:
  • A Clockwork Lemon
  • Firecat
  • smeagle
  • Headgrinder

EDIT the third: So. You'll be creating an image in KS Editor about 960px thick.
This is equivalent to creating one new screen just left of the default screen, and only using the default screen up to about the red line:

Then you'll paste the two halves together in paint (or you can send them to me to do it) like so:

(this is an example I whipped together)

PLUS

EQUALS
http://wimg.co.uk/2lj.png (would probably stretch the forum)

and that's your finished image, which I will judge. However, there are a few other rules.

1. Despite my example, your entries should be light coloured, or at least predominantly light.
2. The row of pixels at the very bottom must all be the same colour (the only exception is borders of tiles, check my example).
3. The finished image must be exactly 240px high, which is the height of one KS screen.
4. If you use liquid at the bottom of the screen, it may not be black or red.

Again, feel free to ask questions.  8D
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 03:38:37 by steynj »

Offline Firecat

• Every bit is important.
    • View Profile
Re: Knytt Stories image competition
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 02:45:29 »
My resolution is 1280x800.
There's 110011 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary, Those who don't, and those who confuse it with ASCII.

Offline steynj

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 02:52:50 »
Are you going to participate? I can't tell, sorry.

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 04:24:57 »
Resolution: 1680x1050

Not sure if i'll attempt the compo, i'll decide when there is more information available 9if at all)
I'm not dead. Not entirely. And yes, I'm embarrassed by most of the posts I made here.
:hiddenstar: - From Pumpkinbot

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 06:34:45 »
Resolution of largest computer: 1920 * 1280, I believe. I will be participating.

Edit by LPChip: Just a small note about the screen res: 1920x1280 is not an existing size. 1920x1200 and 1920x1080 are.

Edit by me: It's 1920 by 1080. :P
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 02:12:37 by Purple Pineapple »
Lurk more.

Offline smeagle

• Using Arch now
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 11:25:45 »
I might participate, if I actually knew what this is about!
so is this a picture competition?

My resolution is 1920x1080

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 13:53:57 »
1024x768 on home pc.  I concur that I might participate if I knew more.  I'm not motivated yet.   :/

Offline steynj

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 14:03:44 »
1024x768 on home pc.  I concur that I might participate if I knew more.  I'm not motivated yet.   :/

Just out of interest, what would you want to know more about to make you more motivated?

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 15:06:22 »
1280x800, don't wanna participate.

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 16:08:09 »
what do I do if I usually have a dual-screen setup? :P
they're 1280x1024 and 1280x800.
I don't think I'd be any good with participating, because I'm no good at tileset-using-screen-design. :P if that doesn't matter, I would probably have the same tentative interest as most of the others.
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs:

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 18:19:12 »
On the laptop I'm using at the moment, 1280x800. I can't remember if my home PC is different than that; I'll check when I get home and edit it in here if it is.

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2010, 00:48:08 »
@steynj:  Well, have you any standards or direction you are looking to go with it?  Are you looking for particular styles?  What is your motivation for doing this?  Anything can help peak my interest.  With no info it feels kinda like "yeah, submit whatever... if you want... maybe." 

Offline steynj

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2010, 03:41:17 »
Updated with some clearer info, and guys, I haven't been clear at all about this but all your images will be used (so long as they fit the rules). It's just the best ones will get prizes, to motivate y'all.

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2010, 05:19:54 »
lol, I'm the only one confirmed. :P What should be going on at the sides of the screen? Loopable? Dead stop? Cut off? Do we have use the default graphics?
Lurk more.

Offline steynj

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2010, 06:05:21 »
lol, I'm the only one confirmed. :P What should be going on at the sides of the screen? Loopable? Dead stop? Cut off? Do we have use the default graphics?

Not loopable. And it's a dead stop, check my example. The image must be 959-60px wide, and if you mean default graphics as in tilesets, yes you do. You can create new tilesets and background gradients or even objects if you like, but it must retain the same graphical feel (i.e. no anti-aliasing).

Hope that answers your question.