[Normal][Adventure] Pinewood Heights South

• 1 Replies

Offline Waxer

• View Profile
[Normal][Adventure] Pinewood Heights South
« on: August 29, 2010, 09:14:49 »
Hello there.

I'm a bit new to these forums, at least socially at least, I've been checking various topics on info and whatnot, so I apologize if I make a mistake in introducing myself in the correct forum and/or posting the correct tag information in the topic.
I've been playing games by Nifflas well over a year now, having started with WADF.  That experience alone was absolutely amazing, answering everything I have been looking for in an "ambient-adventure game".
I got into Knytt around June and found it incredibly fascinating.  By the time I had played Knytt Stories, enjoying an experience nearly on par with that of WADF, and seeing the potential of level creating, I really got down to work on a project to shadow and initiate the feelings I get by playing Nifflas' games, that hopefully, I too can give players a sense of exploration and discovery all the while giving them something they're familiar with.

Anyways, the name's Waxer, I'm a really easy going individual and really open to say the least.

I've been working on a level for Knytt stories well over a month now, but I'm at the point where I don't want to continue unless I have a few facts straight so I don't anger people and cause problems with the community.

The project I have in mind is somewhat of a return and another approach to WADF, the first Nifflas game I played.
The premise is pretty basic, you guide Juni, gather power ups in an exploration fashion, but you are mainly on a quest that shadow's the events that took place in WADF, at least, from another perspective, that is, the perspective of Juni, or a descendant of Juni, etc.

The story is pretty basic.  Merely shadowing "the ball" in a quest to stop Dr. Cliche, although I do plan on adding my own twist to the adventure, exploring themes like loneliness or desolation, stuff like that.

First and foremost, I have questions as to what content I can exactly show in the level?  Like, can I use the phrase "Pinewood Heights" in the title?  Or should I get permission for that?

I'd like to show areas from the game WADF or at least partial areas, maybe even from an opposite perspective, obviously creating through the editing program.  I know there are at least 2 tilesets on the editing program from Pinewood Heights, I have been using them a great deal, but I'm afraid if I make it look too much like the areas from WADF, that'll cause problems as well.

I realize much of the music was composed by seperate authors.  I will deal with getting permission on my own terms, taking into account the information provided by LPChip on a few topics (Most helpful indeed), although I will mainly just use Nifflas' music.  Which brings me to another topic.
Exactly, what songs are we allowed to use for the Knytt Stories levels?  Just the ones available from "A Strange Dream" and/or "The Machine" or can we use all of Nifflas' music, like "Moonlight Forest Trip" from his album "Lunerscapes"?

I know using custom music files is incredibly encouraged, but since I lack that talent other than some basic audio editing, I'm forced to ask separate artists, like the ones at the CTG Music Community.

Of course I would give credit where it's due if I did get permission, but that is a question that is heavily on my mind.

That's all I have right now.
Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

Waxer

Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
Re: [Normal][Adventure] Pinewood Heights South
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 16:22:57 »
Hi there, welcome.

There have been exact "clones" (as far as possible with Knytt Stories) from parts of WaDF, therefore I wouldn't consider it a problem really. After all, most here know that it's Nifflas' game and that any KS level incorporating tilesets from it are replications anyways. I'd think. So in general it would be obvious that you're building a fan game and not an evil intellectual-property-stealing, profit-/fame-leeching copy. ;) Which you can stress by clearly giving credits, as expected anyways.

About the music, I am not sure; it'd probably best to just make a list of the songs you'd like to use and ask the respective authors. I do think though that for properly credited use in KS, Nifflas' own songs are under general permission, except for the Strange Dream music (from that expansion level), if I remember correctly.
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs: