Knytt stories for mac NEED HELP!!!

• 16 Replies

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
Knytt stories for mac NEED HELP!!!
« on: March 29, 2009, 00:54:05 »
Im a serious fan of knytt stories, but its kinda hard because my home computer is a macintosh... would it possible for u guys to re-encode a version of knytt stories that works on mac?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 06:44:52 by a clockwork lemon »
I'm not dead. Not entirely. And yes, I'm embarrassed by most of the posts I made here.
:hiddenstar: - From Pumpkinbot

Offline Looki

• View Profile
Re: Knytt stories for mac
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 03:12:49 »
It's impossible - Nifflas would have to completely recode the game, which would take months.
Why don't you use Boot Camp to run windows in a mac, or Wine to run the EXE?

Offline oebchen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 03:20:10 »
It's rather improbable that this will be done because KS uses many extensions in MMF2 that make it very hard, if not impossible, to convert it to Java, which would be platform-independent. There were quite a few threads about this problem on the old forum, too. Knytt may be ported to Java one day, but Knytt Stories most probably not. Have you tried dual boot or an emulator like Parallels or Darwine? It works almost perfectly for me (the only restriction I have is that I can't play the game in fullscreen mode).
EDIT: It seems I wasn't the fastest one to respond X-P

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 13:52:45 »
Or you could use a virtual machine, install windows on it, and install Knytt Stories in there. Knytt Stories is not a resource heavy game, so the performance loss you'll get is either minimal, or not interfearing with the game enough to be bothered with.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline oebchen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 14:05:49 »
Yes, Darwine would be such a virtual machine. And you're right, KS on a VM doesn't take up much resource - but funnily enough, the Level Editor seems to cause more difficulties: whenever I start it, my processor (Intel Core 2 Duo) heats up and the fans turn much faster than usual, don't ask me why... Especially since my Mac has absolutely no problems running KS!

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 08:26:38 »
which "wine" should i get?
I'm not dead. Not entirely. And yes, I'm embarrassed by most of the posts I made here.

Offline oebchen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 11:21:47 »
Darwine: http://www.kronenberg.org/darwine/ (Wine as such is for Linux, the Mac version is called Darwine.) The link leads you to an unofficial build of the programme, the official build not being developed any more, I think. But rest assured, KS works with it. There is also a kind of installation guide, and you can choose between an experimental and an older, but stable version (I would recommend the stable version). Whenever you install a programme (such as KS) with Darwine, it goes to the folder /User/yourname/.wine/drive_c/programs - telling you this because the .wine-Folder is hidden. Hope that helps! :)

Offline Gaeel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 13:32:07 »
Using CrossOver on Linux to get KS working. It runs pretty fine,considering how insanely old and crappy my machine is. Unfortunately it's payware. I don't know how much it costs since it's bundled with Ubuntu.
Code: [Select]
<Gaeel> I love you Dataflashsabot!
<Dataflashsabot> I love you too Gaeel!
<Gaeel> Wait are we really having this conversation?
<Dataflashsabot> I think we might be a figment of Gaeel's twisted imagination...

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 10:57:50 »
Ill try it, but asking, would it work on a power pc?

Offline oebchen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 14:02:25 »
On the site I have given you, there is only an Intel version, but here: http://darwine.sourceforge.net/download.php, there are a PPC and a Universal Code version as well - you'll just have to try if it works for you, my Mac is an Intel, I don't know much about PowerPC Macs (I'm rather new to Macs, and they existed "before my time" ;)). You should read the text underneath the downloads too.

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2009, 06:44:24 »
Finalyy got an intel to run the intel version on, and it works fine for WaDF, but not for KS or KSA. whenever i try to open KS or KSA, It says "ERROR -" and then something about "DirectorPacker.mfx"
SOMEONE HELP!!!!!!!!!

Re: Knytt stories for mac NEED HELP!!!
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2009, 21:13:20 »
Tadaa:  
(http://ext.neatwares.ath.cx/ext/Directory_packer)

Atleast, that's the MMF extension DirectorPacker.mfx
Lurk more.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2009, 21:46:34 »
I'm not sure having this file anywhere will solve the issue.

When you're using Windows 98, Knytt Stories won't run either, and gives an error for that plugin. Dunno how to fix it though...
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline oebchen

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2009, 21:54:40 »
I vaguely remember having a similar problem, although I can't really remember how I solved it... I only know that I fiddled around with everything a little and finally got it to work. Googling brings up this site which may help: http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-d10f6828f4c34da2ef34f0bf8a9d576ae78bb2aa. Have you tried running Trix.app to check whether there are certain files or frameworks missing and to install them?

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2009, 08:48:08 »
The app that came in the .dmg?... cant say i have, will look into it