[Hard] [Challenge/Miscellaneous] The Hive beta

• 13 Replies

Offline KG

• Perhaps.
    • View Profile
    • Kittens
[Hard] [Challenge/Miscellaneous] The Hive beta
« on: December 11, 2010, 05:53:28 »
I stopped making this like a year ago and I don't know if I'll ever finish it. Sorry, Nifflas. Your editor is just so annoying. (Though to be fair, it doesn't help that I got into RPG Maker among other things.)
So I'm putting this here.
It has custom stuff and two bosses. Technically, in the state it is currently in, it is about a third finished.
It's pretty awesome though. No really.

http://www.mediafire.com/?gitqcim0daz

Also nobody ever credits the artist, but I say you should, every now and then, spend a minute watching the custom objects I made.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 05:55:21 by KG »

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
Re: [Hard] [Challenge/Miscellaneous] The Hive beta
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 18:04:07 »
The environments are very weird (as always), as is the choice of music (ditto), but the CO work is very impressive and fits nicely (ditto). Anyway, I'm stuck in the red area; my high jump powerup was taken away and all paths are blocked by death in form of little bugs, a weird creature sweating blood, and a passage where the red circle thing kills me even if I manage to avoid the triangle-shaped thing. Is that the end of the game if you take the left passage at the beginning?

Offline KG

• Perhaps.
    • View Profile
    • Kittens
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 18:32:05 »
The environments are very weird (as always), as is the choice of music (ditto), but the CO work is very impressive and fits nicely (ditto). Anyway, I'm stuck in the red area; my high jump powerup was taken away and all paths are blocked by death in form of little bugs, a weird creature sweating blood, and a passage where the red circle thing kills me even if I manage to avoid the triangle-shaped thing. Is that the end of the game if you take the left passage at the beginning?

It's not. The end is clearly marked by a nonsensical room with weird colors or something I forgot.
There is no high jump powerup so I think you mean the double jump powerup. There is a path you are either overlooking or giving up on  too easily. It would maybe help if you showed me a screenshot. Incidentally, to anyone else reading, the red area is optional and not easy.

Offline saba

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 00:17:48 »
Whew! What a level! Everything, of course, is meticulously and skillfully done, there are so many amazing custom objects. I especially liked the Knytt with the green hat  :^^:.

But wow, it is so very frustrating. I also got lost at the same red place and found myself struggling to climb walls and paying close attention to what kills and what doesn't. The blue maze is very demanding as well
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

For now I'm giving up at the

I'm looking forward to finishing this (if I can).

Offline KG

• Perhaps.
    • View Profile
    • Kittens
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 07:40:32 »
Whew! What a level! Everything, of course, is meticulously and skillfully done, there are so many amazing custom objects. I especially liked the Knytt with the green hat  :^^:.

But wow, it is so very frustrating. I also got lost at the same red place and found myself struggling to climb walls and paying close attention to what kills and what doesn't. The blue maze is very demanding as well

For now I'm giving up at the

I'm looking forward to finishing this (if I can).

Thank you. And yes, the pointy hat girl was one of my favorite ones too.
The knowing what kills and what doesn't thing can be made easier if you find the detector, and the first spoiler subject is actually something you won't get to unless I come back to finishing this later (I plan these things out in such ways).
The second spoiler subject I apologize for, and I suspect you would really not like the one in Teenhmifnoeafgil.

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 21:49:42 »
There is no high jump powerup so I think you mean the double jump powerup. There is a path you are either overlooking or giving up on  too easily. It would maybe help if you showed me a screenshot. Incidentally, to anyone else reading, the red area is optional and not easy.

Ah, you're quite right, I meant the double jump powerup. And there indeed was a path I gave up on too easily. Thanks!

Offline KG

• Perhaps.
    • View Profile
    • Kittens
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 03:57:56 »
Ah, you're quite right, I meant the double jump powerup. And there indeed was a path I gave up on too easily. Thanks!

I'm sorry I made this beta so hard. It's a trend with almost every level I've ever made.

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 11:14:52 »
I think I finally finished this; after the battle with Opilio there's one screen that loops, and I'm guessing that's the end? I also checked some of the Hive areas using the level editor. Despite the many frustrating parts (it was mostly lack of savepoints, rather than the challenges themselves, that made things frustrating), I found myself enjoying the level and being very interested in how it would've turned out plot-wise and otherwise-wise... It'd be good if you decided to finish this someday :)

Incidentally, the only thing I find annoying about the level editor is the lack of undo function. If you dislike the original editor, maybe try some of the alternative ones or varous KS mods? I realize it's a bit late for such suggestions given that you haven't touched the editor in a year, but I thought I'd offer it anyway.

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 14:18:37 »
Also, what song is Ambi253.ogg? I kind of liked it, but couldn't decipher enough of the lyrics to make a Google search  :/

Offline KG

• Perhaps.
    • View Profile
    • Kittens
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 18:36:21 »
I think I finally finished this; after the battle with Opilio there's one screen that loops, and I'm guessing that's the end? I also checked some of the Hive areas using the level editor. Despite the many frustrating parts (it was mostly lack of savepoints, rather than the challenges themselves, that made things frustrating), I found myself enjoying the level and being very interested in how it would've turned out plot-wise and otherwise-wise... It'd be good if you decided to finish this someday :)

Incidentally, the only thing I find annoying about the level editor is the lack of undo function. If you dislike the original editor, maybe try some of the alternative ones or varous KS mods? I realize it's a bit late for such suggestions given that you haven't touched the editor in a year, but I thought I'd offer it anyway.

It would be good if I decided to finish it. The original inspiration behind the level was never even implemented, which is a sad thing. But I really doubt I will get back to it, if not anytime in the distant future, at all.
As for the level editor, the lack of an undo function is one thing. Other things include the lack of selection tools, copying and pasting of individual tiles, inability to copy and paste or at least set preferences for shifts/signs of screens, and some other things I forgot. It's just too limited to me. But yes, even if you had suggested such things a year ago I probably wouldn't have been interested. I have this tendency to suddenly switch from one game-making/editing/whatever tool to another. Back then it was the Warcraft 3 campaign editor, then Lazy Shell, then back again, now RPG Maker. I very rarely finish my projects (I only really finished like two Knytt Stories).

Also, what song is Ambi253.ogg? I kind of liked it, but couldn't decipher enough of the lyrics to make a Google search  :/

It's a French theme song of an old cartoon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GT1ByzmGQRU&feature=related

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2010, 22:50:39 »
The original inspiration behind the level was never even implemented, which is a sad thing.

What was the original inspiration? The Hive area, or..?

It's a French theme song of an old cartoon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GT1ByzmGQRU&feature=related

Ah, thank you!

Offline KG

• Perhaps.
    • View Profile
    • Kittens
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2010, 06:00:48 »
What was the original inspiration? The Hive area, or..?

Yes.

Ah, thank you!

You're welcome.

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2010, 18:38:08 »
I liked it a lot. Cool bosses, weird caves with many ways to go.

As for the level editor, the lack of an undo function is one thing. Other things include the lack of selection tools, copying and pasting of individual tiles
Looki introduced this into editor, see my signature.

inability to copy and paste or at least set preferences for shifts/signs of screens
This can be done by KSLC.

Both editors have hard time working with such huge levels though.

Offline KG

• Perhaps.
    • View Profile
    • Kittens
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2010, 02:55:53 »
I liked it a lot. Cool bosses, weird caves with many ways to go.

Both editors have hard time working with such huge levels though.

Thanks.
And yes, this is was a concern for me. In general I have found the unofficial editors to be very unreliable for my purposes.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 04:21:32 by KG »