A friendly warning

• 33 Replies

Offline JC Grim the 'crete reaper

• I might be sick, broken, torn to pieces...
    • View Profile
Re: A friendly warning
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2009, 06:02:42 »
It's an excerpt of the recording of Also sprach Zarathustra used in the film 2001: A Space Odyssey. It was made in 1959 by Herbert von Karajan and the Vienna Philharmonic. It is most definitely not under a CC license.

But do to it's incredible shortness, would it not fall safe under "Fair Use"? Well, as safe as something can be under FU...
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever.

- George Orwell

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2009, 07:53:06 »
It probably is fair use, yes. It's less than twenty seconds long; it isn't of very high quality; it could be construed as being used in a parody of its source; it isn't being sold; etc. However, it isn't credited.

Fair use cases can get pretty far into gray areas, though I'd say the use of this recording is defensible.

Also, since this is a public domain piece of music, it probably wouldn't be very hard at all to find a CC-licensed recording. (If a longer recording is to be used.)
good bye

Offline JC Grim the 'crete reaper

• I might be sick, broken, torn to pieces...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2009, 13:52:50 »
So would there be much of a problem of uploading it to the Archive when it's finished?
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever.

- George Orwell

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2009, 14:20:03 »
I imagine there wouldn't be much problem at all, but I don't know what exactly the final submission rules are to be.
good bye