I want to learn how to make a game. Where do i start?

• 52 Replies

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
Re: I want to learn how to make a game. Where do i start?
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2010, 05:39:49 »
Isnt it disrespectful. You know his name yet you substitute a two letter phrase for it?  :huh:

Oh come on, stop going on about it. I was feeling lazy, and OP is common(ish) internet slang. It's not disrespectful at all.

back on topic, another good start is FlashDevelop + either FlashPunk (i'm learning this one) or flixel
I'm not dead. Not entirely. And yes, I'm embarrassed by most of the posts I made here.
:hiddenstar: - From Pumpkinbot

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2010, 11:19:41 »
I like Multimedia Fusion 2. Basically, head to clickteam and grab a demo and read some of the tutorials at the website.

At the other hand, game maker should not be underestimated. Spelunky and tuning was created in it. It's easy enough to get started with, and later when you get good and dig into scripting, you'll be able to create awesome things. Most indie developers uses middleware today anyway, I know several professional companies that chose Unity over C++.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 11:21:28 by Nifflas »

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2010, 18:27:31 »
I suggest that you learn a scripting language for an existing game that you like; knowing a scripting language will make learning a "real" programming language much easier.  Lua is a good choice.

Offline hugobros3

• Former Knytt Stories Online "Coder"
    • View Profile
    • XolioWare Interactive
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2010, 14:09:50 »
In my opinion , MMF2 is better than GM, it has toons of extension (and an c++ SDK !) , HWA , Online gaming easily and you can check ou the KS source with (ks source is really instructive).
Most of my posts on this forum were made when I was about 12-13. Have mercy of the younger me discovering the Internet.

Offline jimj316

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2010, 17:40:11 »
I wouldn't worry about being only 13 either, I learned MMF (1) at the age of seven, MMF2 at ten, and I am now 15.

MMF2 is a very good language for starting off, and is fairly powerful for such a simple product; however I doubt any software companies use it, so if you're looking at programming for a profession, I'd recommend learning a more widely-adopted language like C++ or Java. Don't abandon MMF2 completely though, as Clickteam is probably the only software company that isn't even slightly evil.

Whatever you choose, good luck and have fun in the world of programming!  :D

Spoiler: RAEV TIEM! (click to show/hide)

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2010, 01:07:25 »
MMF2 is a very good language for starting off, and is fairly powerful for such a simple product; however I doubt any software companies use it,
"I want to learn how to make a game. Where do i start?"
Lurk more.

Offline jimj316

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2010, 20:26:23 »
MMF2 is a very good language for starting off, and is fairly powerful for such a simple product; however I doubt any software companies use it,
game=software

Spoiler: RAEV TIEM! (click to show/hide)

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2010, 03:35:47 »
game=software
Ah.. no. Game. Software.
Lurk more.

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2010, 04:29:33 »
Ah.. no. Game. Software.
All games are software, hence game = software.
However,
NOT all software is a game, hence software != game.
I'm not dead. Not entirely. And yes, I'm embarrassed by most of the posts I made here.
:hiddenstar: - From Pumpkinbot

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2010, 04:47:32 »
All games are software, hence game = software.
Like football? :P I get what you're saying, though.
Lurk more.

Offline vdweller

• JapanStache!
    • View Profile
    • vdweller's freeware games
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2010, 09:54:50 »
I would suggest starting with Game Maker, trying to make something simple like an arkanoid clone using the drag&drop actions, then gradually replacing drag&drop actions with Game Maker's programming language (GML). Once you understand some "rules" of the program, eg in what order each event is performed, and with the help of some extensions, you will be unstoppable.

Of course, Multimedia Fusion also seems a very obvious choice, since some people, including Nifflas, have done great games with it.

PS there is no point arguing which tool is the best. I started making games in Visual Basic 6, which wasn't that bad, but it was definitely not THE tool for making games. But then, I started using Game Maker, and I realised that my accumulated knowledge from my VB6 days helped understand things a lot faster. So perhaps the most useful tool is your imagination. Everything else can be downloaded.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 10:03:13 by vdweller »

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2010, 16:57:17 »
Don't miss out Construct. It does a lot of things right that Multimedia Fusion 2 does wrong. It's getting closer a 1.0 release, which means it's hopefully stable enough to rely on soon enough.

Offline TheDarkOne

• Darkness...
    • View Profile
    • Scratch Account
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2010, 01:54:03 »
Python is a good one. I can recommend a good pdf for learning it, too. Expect linky-thingy.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2010, 14:22:21 »
Don't miss out Construct. It does a lot of things right that Multimedia Fusion 2 does wrong. It's getting closer a 1.0 release, which means it's hopefully stable enough to rely on soon enough.

I've recently (after reading this post) given Construct a go.

I've also tried MMF2 in the past and did the tutorial game with it. I found MMF2 rather hard and limited because it seems that for most functionality I want, I had to resort to plugins, not just what comes out of the box.

Construct is very cool with examples out of the box and stunning graphical effects. The release seems very stable, and even better, I was able to run and create games in a VMWare box (Virtual Box worked okay too, but less support for Direct3D). This means, I do not have to install Construct on my system at all, and I can test my own pc to see if I miss any dll's etc.

I might actually make one or more games with this. :)

I have a few ideas of games that I want to make. Oh and there are lots of videos about construct even. One video actually makes a Braid clone in under 5 minutes. Okay, it doesn't do much, and all graphics were already made, but still. You might also want to search for videos on the other platforms to see what kind of game they create and perhaps a tutorial or two.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline TheDarkOne

• Darkness...
    • View Profile
    • Scratch Account
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2010, 00:34:15 »
I joined the Construct forum yesterday.

What I found:

A 3D FPS
A cool, non-violent, Nifflas-like, maze game
A tutorial on making a platformer

And MUCH more. Construct is what I've been looking for. LPChip has the right idea.

... Still might try MMF2 though...