How do i get SHIFT under "system" to work?

• 11 Replies
How do i get SHIFT under "system" to work?
« on: August 14, 2010, 05:21:17 »
I know, this is kind of a dumb question, but i'm being all seriousness right now.

SHIFT is supposed to send you to the corresponding SHIFT when you press down, right?  Well it doesn't do that when i try to use it. i must be doing something wrong. :/

What is the correct way to put it into a game?

Re: How do i get SHIFT under "system" to work?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 07:00:33 »
Shift sends you to a specific location, not necessarily another shift point. You can specify the location with the KS Manager (menu bar > 3rd party tools > KS manager (current screen))

Funnily enough, I can't seem to find a shift tutorial.
Lurk more.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 12:32:17 »
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 08:25:55 »
thanks, both of you. i finally got it to work. ^_^

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 09:11:57 »
I just learned how to use shifts (well, a bit anyway) but I'm getting this weird problem where when I try to remove the sound effect of the shift it doesn't save (even though I click the save button). So when I shift (harhar) between A and B in the manager it returns to default even though I've chosen None. Anyone know what that's about?

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 12:58:30 »
I just learned how to use shifts (well, a bit anyway) but I'm getting this weird problem where when I try to remove the sound effect of the shift it doesn't save (even though I click the save button). So when I shift (harhar) between A and B in the manager it returns to default even though I've chosen None. Anyone know what that's about?

Your message is a bit vague, so I'm having a hard time understanding where the problem might be.

Are you setting coordinates for your shift, so it actually moves somewhere?
Are you triggering a cutscene?
Are you shifting to a location that has a shift on it, which sends you back immediately?

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Firecat

• Every bit is important.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 14:02:32 »
I think he is trying to change the sound effect of the shift but his KSManager doesn't change it.
There's 110011 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary, Those who don't, and those who confuse it with ASCII.

Offline AA

• Was ITA84
    • View Profile
    • Insight on Videogames
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 14:37:34 »
Shift A, B and C are different Shifts, so their settings are managed independently. If I understood your problem correctly, after configuring Shift A with Sound Effect: None, you click on Shift B and it changes back to Default. Now, if clicking on Shift A again makes the Sound Effect return to None, then it's normal, your settings should have been saved correctly; if that doesn't happen, there's a bug in the Manager, in which case you should describe what you did step by step.

In any case, you can also configure your Shifts by editing the World.ini text file, so you can keep working on your level if there's a bug to be sorted out.
Videogames are for everyone, by everyone

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2010, 15:09:34 »
Yeah, I suppose I was a little vague. Basically, what I meant was that when I enter the KSManager and make my way to where you change the sound effect of the different shifts and try to change the sound from default to none it resets to default if I click my way to another part of the manager.

Offline Gorfinhofin

• Totally Sane Storyteller
  • Bugbears are cool.
    • View Profile
    • My World Famous Grilled Let's Plays
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2010, 19:39:34 »
Are you clicking Save in KSManager after you change the sound effect? You probably are, but it never hurts to check.

When something smells, it's usually my monitor.

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2010, 20:39:50 »
Are you clicking Save in KSManager after you change the sound effect? You probably are, but it never hurts to check.

Yeah, that's the thing, I did. I also tried, you know, saving for each shift but that didn't work either.

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2010, 22:09:24 »
If you manually check the world.ini file, are the shift changes there?

Or if you really don't know how, if you just hit close and then test the changes, do they work?

MODPlug Central Forum