St. Sundholm

• 20 Replies

Offline pLox

• View Profile
St. Sundholm
« on: August 05, 2010, 15:26:03 »
My newest project.
A very early look, everything is still under process. No category decided yet, still working on the main plot.

I don't know if the screens are too cluttered, but that's just my style.
Custom tilesets by me, also a few tiles borrowed/remade from other tilesets, which will be listed in the credits.

Name might change, but going with "St. Sundholm" for now.

Basically what happens is that our protagonist "Juni" accidentally travels to the mysterious "St. Sundholm" through a strange machine,
where she will face various puzzles and challenges in order to escape. This is all I'll reveal for now.

Have a look:

Offline Salmoneous

• View Profile
Re: St. Sundholm
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 16:47:07 »
Nice to see a new map with custom content. You might wanna work some more on those buildings. There could be some more detail. Like make a brick pattern or anything.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 20:44:19 »
I think the contrast between the places that have some sort of pattern and those that are just plain works well. It's a rather French/Belgian comic book, ligne claire kind of look. I like it.

I'm not sure the weird 3-D with several different perspectives per screen works entirely, for me. However, even so, this looks amazing, and I am now looking forward to it immensely.

Offline pLox

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 22:20:08 »
Nice to see a new map with custom content. You might wanna work some more on those buildings. There could be some more detail. Like make a brick pattern or anything.

Well, I appreciate the idea, but I don't think it would fit in with the overall look and feel, if I added a brick pattern,
I think it would be very hard on the eyes since there's already alot of details in the background. So I'll stick with the way the houses looks for now.
And yeah, it's my first custom map, with custom tilesets and custom objects also.

I think the contrast between the places that have some sort of pattern and those that are just plain works well. It's a rather French/Belgian comic book, ligne claire kind of look. I like it.

I'm not sure the weird 3-D with several different perspectives per screen works entirely, for me. However, even so, this looks amazing, and I am now looking forward to it immensely.

Thank you, Hmpf. You always give good critique, it helps alot. And since I loved your attention to detail in "Falling water - part 1"
I must say I'm honored to get those warming words from you, since I really like your work :)
I'm glad you're looking forward to it, knowing that someone likes what you are doing usually keeps you going. so again, thank you very much. And I know that some houses might look a little wierd with some being 3D and some not and all that. but as I mentioned in the description, that's just my style, And if you give it a shot, I think you'll learn to like it ;)

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 22:51:12 »
Woah, this looks so awesome. I love the fractured 3D look. I'll be looking forward to this - also, it's great to see you working on stuff, I still fondly remember Aria of Radiation.

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 13:24:19 »
Looks brilliant! Shame the plot sounds a bit lame, but looks very good.

Offline pLox

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 14:57:13 »
Woah, this looks so awesome. I love the fractured 3D look. I'll be looking forward to this - also, it's great to see you working on stuff, I still fondly remember Aria of Radiation.

Thank you. appreciate it! :) And I'm glad to hear that you like my other still on going project "AoR". But I'm having issues deciding which project to focus on, which naturally causes delay on both levels. But I'm going to try to make up my mind, and see if I can finish atleast one of these before I end up losing interest again. ( I tend to do that with things that take lots of time, especially when it comes to drawing/designing my own tilesets and custom objects, which I have never done before, allthough I must say I'm very satisfied with what I've got so far. )

As for now, I'm still going strong with both levels. Let's just hope it stays that way, since I would love for both levels to be 100 % ready, and released. but I've been doing most work during my summer spare time, which is soon coming to an end, and thus sadly leaving me with next to no time at all to spend on making knytt levels.
And that will ofcourse cause the work on my levels to slow down even more, if not come to a complete stop.
But hey, who knows what the future will bring. :)

Looks brilliant! Shame the plot sounds a bit lame, but looks very good.

Thank you very much, I've put alot of time into the tilesets, so hopefully it will pay off.
And hey, don't judge the plot until you've actually had a chance to experience it ;)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 23:51:32 by pLox »

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 13:23:43 »
You can draw one brick in the wall to simulate an entire brick pattern.

Example:

Also, it might benefit your level if you give the background a slightly less contrast so the foreground sticks out just a little bit, especially with the black lines that are in the buildings. Perhaps if you only make these black lines gray, it will fix the issue already.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Feline Monstrosity

• Pussy cat, pussy cat..
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 22:18:47 »
I support the practice of using pure black lines only for collision tiles. Other than that your art looks fantastic! I really hope you release this some day so I can play it! C)
"In the world there is nothing more submissive and weak than water. Yet for attacking that which is hard and strong nothing can surpass it. "  ~Lao Tzu

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 23:33:46 »
this is really fantastic.  I'm a wee bit jealous.  You've done a great job with the ruined city look.  And I have to say I'm a sucker for this type of plot. 

I must say I have issues with the perspective.  Great job drawing it, but it's too inconsistent... unless it becomes clear that space is somehow abnormal and perspective doesn't work naturally here.

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2010, 04:08:56 »
I really like the artistic side of this level.
Hope all the best for this level :awsum:

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2010, 18:09:10 »
The design is really impressive, love it !  ;)

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2010, 00:28:33 »
this looks amazing. can't wait to play it :)

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2010, 19:51:31 »
So, how goes the work?

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2010, 09:01:03 »
This looks awesome. I love the ruined city look.

If you want to fade out the background slightly, I usually drop my eraser tool to 75,50 or 25 percent and give my whole background tileset a single click. It does help the player navigate.