My SECOND tileset-a Bamboo Garden

• 29 Replies
Re: My SECOND tileset-a Bamboo Garden
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2010, 02:18:32 »
I made the bamboo a little greener, added some brown ground tiles, some new groups of bamboo- (it could still use a few more, with different numbers of stalks per tile and heights), designed a small stone shrine and added some white fog at the right of the tileset.
EDIT: now with a similarly themed house

[mod] removed attachments, as a newer version is in the topic[/mod]
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 10:33:07 by LPChip »

Offline bulbapuck

• One day hoping to become Venopuck
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2010, 03:36:16 »
I like this! Nice work :) Far better than the first one.
Emma fell down a well - Enviromental KS level inspired by Salmoneous/Elder
Level in the works: Whitebow Island

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2010, 03:48:26 »
Thanks!  :D

Sorry to spam so much, but I have a new version.
I don't know exactly how to make the background bamboo look right, so.. any ideas? :oops:
Also, what else do you guys want to see in this tileset?
I actually still have a lot of space and I'm running low on ideas.

[mod] removed attachment, as a newer version is in the topic[/mod]
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 10:33:57 by LPChip »

Offline Yonowaaru

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2010, 16:27:02 »
Make another kind of background hills, perhaps?

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2010, 20:16:18 »
yeah, that might help. I still am stumped on what else this needs though. Advice on changing/adding more background tiles noted.

Also, I'm not much of a level maker, so if anyone else wants to use it, go for it. I'm not saving it for a custom story by me.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 22:09:38 by Mr. Macduggan »

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2010, 00:01:23 »
Maybe a variant of the house/temple thing? Something that would make it possible to build several different kinds of buildings from the available tiles?

Also, I'm a big fan of vegetation, so maybe some more (& different kinds of) plants? Flowers, bushes...?

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2010, 00:51:25 »
Cool. I'm on it hmpf.
EDIT: I've begun work on a modular pagoda. Roof and right wall still to come.  :P2
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 00:15:30 by Mr. Macduggan »

Offline Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2010, 00:11:19 »

add some bamboo speakers!  C)p

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2010, 19:44:03 »
I like the new ground and grass.  The background tiles would probably look slightly better if the contrast between the two colors was reduced.
The bamboo seriously needs to be darkened.  That's pretty much the only reason it clashes; it's way too bright.
I like the shading on the rocks, but the outlines need to be smoothed - you should almost never have four or more black pixels in one 3x3 area (this means all your lines should be one pixel thick at all times, and no two lines should be very close).  I know rocks are generally somewhat jagged, but you can't convey that much detail in such a small space, and trying to do so anyway will just make things look messy.
The door on the rock house would look better if it were either just a normally-shaped door or just a doorway with no door.  Not sure what those lines around it are supposed to be.  The window also needs to be more uniform in shape.  When you're carving houses out of trees or rocks or pretty much anything else, it's generally best to leave the unusual shape to the original material and make any added objects look like they would on a normal house.
If that big smooth rock thing is a part of the modular pagoda, it should be made slightly less smooth for consistency with the other rock house.  On the same note, a texture of uniform straight lines makes no sense for a rock.
The background bamboo should be decreased in thickness.  If it's far enough away to look shorter, it's far enough away to look thinner as well.

That said, looks great for a first/second tileset, and not too bad even independent of that.

« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2010, 21:56:35 »
Thanks for all of the specific advice and opinions!  C)
I've been away for a couple weeks, but I bet I'll fill up the rest of the tileset sometime this week.
The big smooth stone thing is a wall that you can set up any way you want, but it's supposed to have bricks. It's good for laying the harvested bamboo on.
Edit: I finished the pagoda. Any comments?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 00:17:51 by Mr. Macduggan »

Offline PeppyHare4000

• My time in this forum is over...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2010, 19:21:33 »
Looks good. To expand it, Make background tiles for the orange version of the tiles.

« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2010, 21:11:31 »
I scrapped the orange version. It didn't fit with the bamboo I made for it, and I liked the bamboo much more than the orange, so...  :/

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2010, 23:24:56 »
Bamboo looks quite a bit better, perhaps still slightly too bright and saturated.

The pagoda, however, sticks out of that screenshot like a sore thumb made out of lightbulbs.  Pretty much every color not on the frame or roof needs to be darkened greatly.

(Also, is it a pagoda if it's only one level?)

« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2010, 23:56:28 »
Re: one level
Yeah, I guess it isn't a pagoda. Oh well.

Re: colors
I'm on it