My SECOND tileset-a Bamboo Garden

• 29 Replies
My SECOND tileset-a Bamboo Garden
« on: August 02, 2010, 23:08:52 »
I just picked up tileset design today, and it's still in progress, but I'm curious what you guys think about it.
My main mission with this tileset was to allow any combination of ground tiles with edges: any combination of the four edges on a ground tile are possible. The way the main orange grass works is very similar. (yes, I know that it doesn't work when you need the top and bottom or the left and right)
I tried making a couple screens with it and it worked ok, so what do you guys think?

[mod] removed attachment, as a newer version is in the topic[/mod]
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 10:34:38 by LPChip »

Offline Healy

• View Profile
Re: My first tileset- The Hairy Orange Cave
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 02:24:18 »
It's a bit plain. There's not a whole lot to it to stand out from other, similar tilesets.

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 02:33:25 »
Oh come ON people!

First off, welcome to the Nifforums, Mr. Macduggan  C)p
Secondly, it's good to see another person on the tilesetting business, it's always good to see a new face.

Onto the tileset itself...
Although i must agree, it is similar to alot of other tilesets that have been made, everyone has to start somewhere, and for this to be a first tileset, i'm very impressed! :D keep up the good work, i'm expecting much from you yet :crazy:
I'm not dead. Not entirely. And yes, I'm embarrassed by most of the posts I made here.
:hiddenstar: - From Pumpkinbot

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 02:41:00 »
Any ideas for what to fill the rest of the tileset with, to make it, you know, more unique? The part I have is simply the ground, some simple background and grass. The tileset could certainly use some character, so any ideas you guys have to add to it are welcome!

Since the first upload, I've added a little blue house, a three tile high set of bamboo, a one tile high bamboo set, and a three tile high bundle of harvested bamboo. I need more variation in it, but this is giving it its own sense of originality. Still, any more suggestions are welcome!

Attached are the modified tileset and a screenshot of a beta screen.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 04:19:24 by Mr. Macduggan »

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 05:50:54 »
Like the bamboo, but the house seems to stand out too much from the red. :/ Other than that, it looks good! Definitely added some diversity with the bamboo! Now you just need to make more bamboo. :P
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.

Offline Healy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 09:41:00 »
Well, it's not a bad start. The harvested bamboo looks a little weird, though. Shouldn't there be rope holding it together? Also, as Pumpkinbot said, the house doesn't seem to go with the rest of the tileset.

Offline Grookie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 12:31:44 »
Yes, similar to Organac tileset by salmonelous.
But, a small inspiration donīt mind!

(and my first tileset was very ugly and horrible XD)
:turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle:
Spoiler: Archievements (click to show/hide)

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 12:34:53 »
I like things where people use more than just the primary colours. 9_9 (not "ohh red, ohh green, ohh blue, ohh yellow, all my kindergarten memories")

there's things like saturation and brightness that are useful for "interesting" colours too, you know, not just hue.
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs:

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 23:03:38 »
Like the bamboo. :-)

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 00:17:13 »
The style of this tileset is wildly inconsistent.  The ground is bright, straight, and anti-aliased; the hair is more "scribbly" and is plain, sharp pixels; the background and harvested bamboo are both quite smooth and blurry; the unharvested bamboo is in a style similar to that of the grass but is extremely bright, and the house is a mish-mash of all those things which is appears to be drawn in two different perspectives at once.  Inconsistency in style is never good.
In general, plain primary colors are bad, as are extremely bright and/or saturated colors.  There are plenty of exceptions, of course.

So, improvements?  Pick one style and one perspective, and stick with it for this tileset (and any other tilesets used in the same level).  Find some more subtle colors, and maybe give the ground tiles a more interesting texture.  If you want to add more tiles, I suggest more houses and bamboo, some other plant life, and a second set of ground tiles.

Re: My first tileset- Scrapped in favor of a Bamboo Garden tileset
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2010, 06:49:03 »
Ok, so after the last day and in response to the criticism about the inconsistent styling of the tileset, I've decided I'll actually scrap the whole orange cave thing- and keep the bamboo place. (of course, I'll still save the old version, but it will not appear in the final version. When I started this tileset, I had no idea of the style objectives I wanted to have, so I'm probably going to change the tileset to a very grounded, horizontal, japanese-garden-like feel. I might salvage the bamboo, but probably I'm going to take the theme and run with it because it appeals to me more than the original vague theme for practicing making tilesets. I'm really excited to get started on it. 8)
I don't have access to my normal computer right now, or I'd start work immediately.
I'll post a picture of how it comes out.

On an unrelated note, how do you change the title of a thread? I need to change it to "My second tileset: A Bamboo Garden" :P
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 06:53:50 by Mr. Macduggan »

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
Re: My first tileset- Scrapped in favor of a Bamboo Garden tileset
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2010, 07:00:11 »
On an unrelated note, how do you change the title of a thread? I need to change it to "My second tileset: A Bamboo Garden" :P

Edit your first post, and change the subject line.
I'm not dead. Not entirely. And yes, I'm embarrassed by most of the posts I made here.
:hiddenstar: - From Pumpkinbot

Re: My SECOND tileset-a Bamboo Garden
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2010, 19:00:00 »
Ok. I've started work on the new tileset. I'm hoping that it's better than the last one so far.
Things I know are still problems: Needs more bamboo, maybe more ground, bamboo sort of clashes with ground.
Questions: Do you like the background tiles? I sort of think that they don't look quite right. Suggestions on them welcome.
also, If I do make more ground, what color?

I still plan on making some balanced rocks, a little shrine, maybe some cloud tiles, and more bamboo.

I need some expertise on this work in progress.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 19:05:52 by Mr. Macduggan »

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
Re: My SECOND tileset-a Bamboo Garden
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2010, 00:14:24 »
the bamboo could be a bit less yellow to clash less. examples of bamboo colour 9_9
also, try cropping your screenshots (->cutting off the unneeded image areas).
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs: