[Real time strategy/Classic] Command & Conquer: Tiberian Dawn - Gold Edition

• 11 Replies
Type:
Real-time strategy (where you build and/or take over a base of military operations and recruit/build units in order to vanquish enemies or enemy bases). The game that made the genre extremely popular. In addition, compared to Dune, Warcraft 1 & 2 and Starcraft, you can select and command as many units as you wish at the same time.
The cutscenes (with real actors) are hilarious and take up the major part of the to CDs it originally came with.

Description:
I'm almost positive everyone at some point in their life have played this for its time incredible game. I'm also sure many already know that westwood studios have made this game avaible for download, at no cost, with no hooks, ie. totally free. But if you didn't know ... just download it. It is hours of sheer pleasure. Complete with the awesome soundtrack and cutscene videos and all.

Spoiler: Screenshots: (click to show/hide)

Download:
There are two ISO files with separate download links (for the two campaigns).
http://www.fileplanet.com/180462/180000/fileinfo/Command-&-Conquer-Gold---Full-Game-(GDI-ISO)
http://www.fileplanet.com/180463/180000/fileinfo/Command-&-Conquer-Gold---Full-Game-(NOD-ISO)

Installation instructions:
http://www.cncworld.org/?page=features/tutorials/tdfree

Sequels:
In fact, Command & Conquer: Red Alert, Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun, and its expansion pack Firestorm are all avaible from the same site. Red alert was the second in the series and tiberian sun the third. Practically same game but with different stories and better graphics. the gameplay and concept is otherwice identical.
Here's the link to ALL free downloads including 4 screenshots per game title, and excerps from the cutscene videos which are so iconical for the C&C franchise:
http://www.commandandconquer.com/classic

The reason i don't post them separately even though i'm supposed to is that they are 1)Sequels, 2)So identical in gameplay, concept and visual style and story that it just seems pointless. the main difference between tiberian dawn and tiberian sun compared to red alert are who are the baddies: techno terrorists or techno bolshevists.

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 14:59:51 by Stinktier »

Offline lilmanjs16

• Its time for some Pixies!
    • View Profile
totally forgot that Command & Conquer was free now. though I bought the First Decade to get the first game to work on my comp. hehe. really worth getting folks. great story, gameplay and music.
we all love each other. and thanks to those who like my dj mixes, it makes me happy:hiddenstar: thanks AClockworkLemon! makes me feel proud

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
Please note, if you're using Windows Vista or 7, you might need to run the game as administrator or a weird error shows up.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

totally forgot that Command & Conquer was free now. though I bought the First Decade to get the first game to work on my comp. hehe. really worth getting folks. great story, gameplay and music.

Command & Conquer + C&C: Red Alert are two true gems in every aspect (well, it could be noted that the AI, as in most games of this type, is pretty easy to figure out and outsmart, which is a flaw), thats a simple fact. But i feel, unfortunately, that the story is weaker in Tiberian Sun (or "command & conquer 3" as we used to call it when it came out). Others may think different, it's just an opinion.

Also remember to switch on compability mode (win xp sp 3 works fine as in most cases), otherwise the executable might tell you some DLLs are missing.

For some reason i never got the original version of red alert to work on my old laptop (vista), though C&C gold ed worked just fine.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 14:14:01 by Stinktier »

Offline TheDarkOne

• Darkness...
    • View Profile
    • Scratch Account
Time left until download finished: 1 hour 30 minutes

I hate Internet connectivity in Idaho.  >(

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
I hate Internet connectivity in Idaho.  >(
I cannot agree with this statement enough.

Practically same game but with different stories and better graphics. the gameplay and concept is otherwice identical.
Before anyone decides to only try one of the games because of this remark, note that Red Alert and Tiberian Sun have quite a few new units/buildings, skirmish mode (fight against the AI like you would a human player, this was the one glaring omission in Tiberian Dawn), and better AI.  And new campaigns, of course.

(well, it could be noted that the AI, as in most games of this type, is pretty easy to figure out and outsmart, which is a flaw)
Remember that this was 1995.  A lot of people were still using DOS, and AI for games like this takes a lot of CPU.  Anyway, C&C is awesome and if you haven't played it you have no excuse not to play it.

[/stating the obvious]

There's also an installer available for Tiberian Dawn, if you don't want to download a 650 MB file and embarrassing promotional material.  In fact, you should visit that page even if you've already installed it as there's an extremely useful patch that fixes a lot of bugs and compatibility issues, even adding high-resolution capability.

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
Ooh, I had no idea the game is free now. Thanks for the posting! These screenshots bring terrific childhood memories. Now I must.. keep.. myself.. from.. downloading..  O_o :crazy:

Offline TheDarkOne

• Darkness...
    • View Profile
    • Scratch Account
Huh? how the HECK does this "installer" work? Oh, and I got it downloaded, but guess what? It needs Windows 95 to work!

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
Huh? how the HECK does this "installer" work?
What do you mean?  Could you be more specific?

It needs Windows 95 to work!
If you apply either patch, or use nyerguds' installer, it should run on more recent versions of Windows.

Also, using more bold tags does not make your text any bolder.

Offline TheDarkOne

• Darkness...
    • View Profile
    • Scratch Account
Huh? how the HECK does this "installer" work?
What do you mean?  Could you be more specific?

It needs Windows 95 to work!
If you apply either patch, or use nyerguds' installer, it should run on more recent versions of Windows.

Also, using more bold tags does not make your text any bolder.

First Q.: I could only find this stupid patch for it. No "installer".

Second Q: What the heck is this nyerguds' installer? could you post a link?

Oh, and I wasn't trying to make my text "bolder" or whatever, just trying to emphasize.

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
Here is a direct link to the installer.

You could also have found that by looking for the link on the above page that says "installation pack."  It is quite near to the top.

Offline TheDarkOne

• Darkness...
    • View Profile
    • Scratch Account
Oh, thanks.

*Downloads*

... BUT OH NO I HAVE HOMEWORK TO DO! NO!

And I heard there are mods (modifications).