Ascent to Wisdom [Environmental;Normal]

• 3 Replies
Ascent to Wisdom [Environmental;Normal]
« on: July 29, 2010, 09:04:42 »
In the following I shall introduce my first ever KS level, 'Ascent to Wisdom'. Seeing that this my first project in editing KS levels, it might not be as sophisticated as some other levels I've seen around here. The storyline is rather simple and perhaps even unoriginal, so I'll try to avoid spoilers here.

There are many stories among Knytts about how Juni acquired her powers: extreme agility, an instinctive sense of danger, hiding her presence from her foes... According to one of the many fables, Juni lived in a cottage in the wilderness, undistrubed by anything. Nature provided her everything she would ever need, yet she felt that she's missing something. She saw the capabilities of nature during stormy nights in the forest: she felt weak every time experienced such demonstrations of power.

One morning, Juni left her cottage to find breakfast when she heard a voice calling at her. She looked around and noticed a cat sitting on a branch of an enormous tree nearby. Upon asking the cat about how he managed to get up that high, or how he is even capable of talking, the cat told Juni about a mysterious person living far away, on the top of a mountain - a person who possesses powers unimaginable and teaches only those who are worthy for such knowledge.

Juni saw the mountain every time she left her cottage. The large figure dominated the horizon to the far north. She never thought there would be people living on it - the mountain seemed anything but hospitable to any creature. Well, as much as she could tell from that distance anyway.

The cat got tired of her quiet contemplation and jumped off the tree, landing gracefully in front of Juni. "But don't bother yourself about such things. I doubt you could even manage to get to the route leading to the mountain. Afterall, you're just a Knytt." With that, the cat left, running to a cliff not too far from the cottage and jumped off, disappearing, with the figure of the mountain in the background...

I suppose this "wiseman-on-top-of-mountain" concept is a tad clichéd, but this level didn't need anything more complicated, I think. The level itself is linear, with occasional alternate routes to take, and with some sub-areas to navigate through before you can progress towards your main objective. I tried (and still try, since it's not finished) to add sub-plots and different elements to keep the players interested through their progress. Some of these are not necessarily related to the general plot, they just add a bit of variety to the atmosphere.

That's all I can say for now, but before you leave, some screenshots!

1. The grasslands (no, it's not the scene I described in the introduction, but it does look similar)
2. Granitewall Castle, famous for its catacombs and the Granitewall Climbing Challenge!
3. The Granitewall Catacombs (actually, sewers, but it sounds more attractive to tourists that way)
4. The Granitewall Climbing Challenge (a section of it, that is - the castle is a rather large area, as you might have already realised)
5. The Drawing Utopia

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
Re: Ascent to Wisdom [Environmental;Normal]
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 17:46:03 »
Sounds interesting. It doesn't look that good having three identical trees in a row so I'd suggest changing one of them in the castle screen. But looks good otherwise; good use to the hand drawn tileset!

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 22:39:52 »
Sounds like you're putting a lot of thought into the story, clichéd though it may be. I look forward to the release.

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 11:09:01 »
It may sound 'Cliched'
But sounds interesting and the story as egomassive said has alot of thought into it
looking forward to realese