Sai Paint Tool?

• 17 Replies

Offline Dj Gopher

• View Profile
Sai Paint Tool?
« on: July 28, 2010, 08:07:14 »
Is it any different than photoshop, aside from the free part?
Is it worth the download?
Thanks
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 08:13:59 by Dj Gopher »

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
Re: Sai Paint Tool?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 09:02:20 »
I have no idea what Sai paint tool is.

Do you perhaps have some additional information, like a link to the website, download link, images, etc?
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Dj Gopher

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 09:21:56 »
http://sai.detstwo.com/sai/
Sorry  :oops:
Its commonly used for anime, I know that much..

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 12:15:58 »
A little bit of investigation shows that sai is not free. Atleast not the main program. The main program is shareware. When the trial expires, the program is useless unless you pay for it.

Other than that, sai seems to look a bit like paint.net.

If you want a good paint program that is suitable for working with a tablet (anime is best with a tablet right?) then try this one:

http://mypaint.intilinux.com/

This is a completely free painting program, designed for painters with a tablet. There's no canvas, so you can paint and make it as big as possible. Navigation through the canvas is using the arrow keys, and you have so many different brushes that you can do about anything with it.

I've tried Corel Painter, and frankly (aside of that Painter does cost money) this tool seems to be working better too. Its however less suitable for editing photos.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 12:22:20 by LPChip »

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Dj Gopher

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 22:39:52 »
A little bit of investigation shows that sai is not free. Atleast not the main program. The main program is shareware. When the trial expires, the program is useless unless you pay for it.

Other than that, sai seems to look a bit like paint.net.

If you want a good paint program that is suitable for working with a tablet (anime is best with a tablet right?) then try this one:

http://mypaint.intilinux.com/

This is a completely free painting program, designed for painters with a tablet. There's no canvas, so you can paint and make it as big as possible. Navigation through the canvas is using the arrow keys, and you have so many different brushes that you can do about anything with it.

I've tried Corel Painter, and frankly (aside of that Painter does cost money) this tool seems to be working better too. Its however less suitable for editing photos.
I must of downloaded an illegal copy.. then.. Because mine is the full version.  :huh:
I'll check out mypaint, but that seems to be more like opencanvas.. Which isn't bad, just basic.

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 23:49:50 »

I must of downloaded an illegal copy.. then.. Because mine is the full version.  :huh:
I'll check out mypaint, but that seems to be more like opencanvas.. Which isn't bad, just basic.

Your version doesn't have to be illegal.

It will just stop working after 30 days and then say that you need to buy a license. I googled it up on the main site of the program.
Quote from: website
Download & Installation
You can download "PaintTool SAI" from below links. There are 31 days trial period in this software. Before downloading the software, you should accept the license agreement linked below.

Downloading this software signifies your agreement to the "Software License Agreement". And this agreement is adapted to previous beta release of this software too.

This software doesn't require any activation during the first 31 days, and run as trial mode with full futures, but after the 31 days trial period expired if you'd like to continue using this software, you need to purchase the"Software License" from this site.

Purchasing "Software License"
After the 31 days trial period expired and if you'd like to continue using PaintTool SAI, you need to purchase a "Software License".

"Software License" is shipped as digital certificate. When your order is completed, you will receive download password for your
software license certificate file, and you can download your license certificate file from "Download Software License Certificate File" page linked below.

if you downloading and installing your license certificate file to your SAI's program folder, you will remove trial limitation of SAI in current version 1.x.x, and you can use this version software without any trial limitation.

(This license include for all minor upgrade in current version 1.x.x, and not include major upgrade fee like ver.1.x.x to 2.x.x).

I also found mention of this on their english forum.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 23:51:54 by LPChip »

MODPlug Central Forum

Offline Dj Gopher

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 03:27:46 »
The one I downloaded is the full version.. I looked over the file. :P
anyway, thanks :)

Offline Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 01:04:49 »
Which is better?

Corel, paint sai, paint, or photoshop?  :huh:

I am getting a tablet. My tablet PC broke since I had punched it in the monitor.  :oops:

Should I get intuous 4 or wacom bamboo? :)

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 01:10:39 »
if you ask me, Wacom is the best quality you can get, but i don's use a bamboo ( i have an A4 one ). As for application, i definitely prefer Photoshop, which supports sensitivity, however paint.net is a good substitute. if your'e on a mac... try GIMP, but i would suggest taking a shot on getting your hands on a copy of Photoshop  :shifty:
I'm not dead. Not entirely. And yes, I'm embarrassed by most of the posts I made here.
:hiddenstar: - From Pumpkinbot

Offline Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 01:14:17 »
if you ask me, Wacom is the best quality you can get, but i don's use a bamboo ( i have an A4 one ). As for application, i definitely prefer Photoshop, which supports sensitivity, however paint.net is a good substitute. if your'e on a mac... try GIMP, but i would suggest taking a shot on getting your hands on a copy of Photoshop  :shifty:

I do have photoshop :)

My daddy bought it for me!  X)

does the intuos need a pen for it to function? the bamboo_fun doesnt, and I want to finger paint too.

but the intuos is black, and so is my mac, and its shiny = apple compatible

and its wireless :)

the bamboo looks unprofessional :(

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2010, 01:32:40 »
Really it's up to you. personally i prefer to use the pen tool, but if you want to finger-paint, you'll need to do a bit of research on the matter (shouldn't be too hard to find)
I'm not dead. Not entirely. And yes, I'm embarrassed by most of the posts I made here.

Offline Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2010, 01:33:18 »
Really it's up to you. personally i prefer to use the pen tool, but if you want to finger-paint, you'll need to do a bit of research on the matter (shouldn't be too hard to find)

Intuous It Is! :D

Offline Dj Gopher

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2010, 01:49:57 »

Good choice, the bamboo series really aren't that great.
I have an intuos small, works just fine.

Sai actually does support pressure sensitivity, plus it has a lag time feature that comes in handy for vector layers.
For drawing, it's just as good as photoshop, and a lot smaller.
For editing, well photoshop outclasses pretty much everything.
For a free photoshop knockoff, for the editing aspect, you can use gimp.. But gimp is quite large.

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2010, 02:08:42 »
Sai actually does support pressure sensitivity, plus it has a lag time feature that comes in handy for vector layers.
For a free photoshop knockoff, for the editing aspect, you can use gimp.. But gimp is quite large.
^What he said XD

Offline Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2010, 02:12:07 »

Good choice, the bamboo series really aren't that great.
I have an intuos small, works just fine.

but gimp is what they would call "novice"?  :huh: