Knytt Stories DS - Optimizing OGG files

• 10 Replies
Knytt Stories DS - Optimizing OGG files
« on: July 25, 2010, 22:34:23 »
This might be the wrong place to post this, but this seems like it would be the most appropriate place to post:

The maker(s) of KSDS (rrc2soft, I believe) said that custom levels can be put onto the DS port as long as music and ambiance tracks have been converted to MP3 and RAW, respectively. I can figure out just fine how to convert the ambiance tracks to RAW, but Audacity is giving me grief over converting to MP3, specifically how the readme file instructed me to do so.

So, a couple questions:
1) Does the sample rate have to be 22.05 khz? I can either get it at 44.1 or (lol) 8 khz, because I must be doing something wrong. But does it really matter?
2) Plus, when I convert the OGG to 22050, the pitch and tempo of the song are dramatically affected. That's obviously not supposed to happen.

Help?

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
Re: Knytt Stories DS - Optimizing OGG files
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 08:08:22 »
The maker(s) of KSDS (rrc2soft, I believe) said that custom levels can be put onto the DS port as long as music and ambiance tracks have been converted to MP3 and RAW, respectively. I can figure out just fine how to convert the ambiance tracks to RAW, but Audacity is giving me grief over converting to MP3, specifically how the readme file instructed me to do so.
...OHHH SCHNIKIES!! That's why DEtM won't work! I converted the ambiance to .MP3. xD

Anyway, I just use the default settings, 'cause I dunno what all that crud is. :P
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 10:09:31 »
Specifically, you maintain a 44.1khz sample rate?

Offline rrc2soft

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 19:23:20 »
...OHHH SCHNIKIES!! That's why DEtM won't work! I converted the ambiance to .MP3. xD

...A word from the KSDS sponsor  ;)...
Code: [Select]
KSDS FAQ
Music tracks should be converted from .ogg -> mp3, and ambiance tracks should be
converted from .ogg -> .raw. Note that certain ambiance tracks (e.g. in "Don't eat the
mushroom") loop, so these tracks should be converted from .ogg -> mp3.

...and continuing with the advertisements  :D...

1) Does the sample rate have to be 22.05 khz? I can either get it at 44.1 or (lol) 8 khz, because I must be doing something wrong. But does it really matter?
2) Plus, when I convert the OGG to 22050, the pitch and tempo of the song are dramatically affected. That's obviously not supposed to happen.

Yup. The DS is *not* made to play mp3 as game soundtracks (that is the reason mp3 is not supported in the "official" libnds libraries), so their quality needs to be downgraded (and that is also the reason it sounds... a bit bad  :) ). 22050 and a quality of 48-24 kbps is the way to go (very long tracks need to be downgraded even more). Check the attachment.

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 06:09:08 »
Old audacity is old! The version I'm using looks much different.

Are you saying that the quality only needs to be reduced? Will the DS care if my mp3 is in 44.1 or 8 Khz?

Offline rrc2soft

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 08:40:26 »
Old audacity is old! The version I'm using looks much different.
Need to upgrade... will post pics once I do so  :)
Are you saying that the quality only needs to be reduced? Will the DS care if my mp3 is in 44.1 or 8 Khz?
Not sure what you mean... basically, as the mp3 needs a lot of CPU time, it is necessary to reduce its quality (both the Khz and the kbps).

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 18:36:16 »
From what I understand, the mp3 needs to be reduced in size so it doesn't overwhelm the DS's meager RAM, right? To reduce the quality of a song, you could shrink the bitrate to, say, 8kbps, but would it matter if I had left it in 44.1Khz as a sample rate?

Offline rrc2soft

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 20:46:04 »
From what I understand, the mp3 needs to be reduced in size so it doesn't overwhelm the DS's meager RAM, right?
Yup  :) . Besides, an mp3 with high quality would be too much for the CPU of the DS to handle (in terms of speed).
To reduce the quality of a song, you could shrink the bitrate to, say, 8kbps, but would it matter if I had left it in 44.1Khz as a sample rate?
...I actually never tried 44.1Khz - 8kbps! XD (22Khz - 44/48kbps was considered the "best" option for the mp3 library developer & users). So if you try  44.1Khz - 8kbps and it works (i.e. the DS does not hang), then enjoy it  ;).

overtheriver

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 05:46:57 »
Sorry to bump an old-ish thread.

From what I understand, the mp3 needs to be reduced in size so it doesn't overwhelm the DS's meager RAM, right?
Yup  :) . Besides, an mp3 with high quality would be too much for the CPU of the DS to handle (in terms of speed).
To reduce the quality of a song, you could shrink the bitrate to, say, 8kbps, but would it matter if I had left it in 44.1Khz as a sample rate?
...I actually never tried 44.1Khz - 8kbps! XD (22Khz - 44/48kbps was considered the "best" option for the mp3 library developer & users). So if you try  44.1Khz - 8kbps and it works (i.e. the DS does not hang), then enjoy it  ;).

Do you know if adding extra RAM to Slot 2 would allow me to have higher quality music files, or would I still have to heavily compress it?

Offline AA

• Was ITA84
    • View Profile
    • Insight on Videogames
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 08:24:22 »
I doubt it: any Homebrew which can exploit the extra RAM has to explicitly make use of it, and currently KSDS doesn't. I guess that could be added as a feature, although I don't know how much the game would benefit from the extra ram.
Videogames are for everyone, by everyone

overtheriver

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2010, 10:33:17 »
I doubt it: any Homebrew which can exploit the extra RAM has to explicitly make use of it, and currently KSDS doesn't. I guess that could be added as a feature, although I don't know how much the game would benefit from the extra ram.
Ah, ok. Thanks.