Shade [DEMO]

• 5 Replies
Shade [DEMO]
« on: July 13, 2010, 08:51:14 »
Hey all,

I've started working on a medium-small platformer, using the Knytt Stories Editor, called Shade.

In the demo, the intro and first level are playable, along with the level select screen.
The game itself is more meant to be just fun, while being a tad artistic.

I'm planning to make atleast 4 levels.

I'll also make some original music for the levels.

Download: http://knyttlevels.com/levels/Sup3rSloth%20-%20Shade%20-%20Demo.knytt.bin

Give it a try, and tell me what you really think ;)

Cheers  :)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 09:25:51 by LPChip »

Offline lamarblake

• ICU
    • View Profile
Re: Shade [DEMO]
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 16:45:03 »
Well, on the critical side the level is not particularly new or groundbreaking. On the positive side it seems very well put together for a first level and at the end of the demo I wanted more.

Story line is good as well as your grammar.

Very good job. Keep going!

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 17:45:40 »
This is off topic, but you are not making a game. You are making a level (or several levels) for an existing game. It just annoys me when people make a level and call it a 'game'.

This level looks quite good, I'll check it out later. :)

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 20:13:07 »
I liked the general idea and how the level selection screen was realized. But the actual level was more than a little simplistic - essentially
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
Also, you could make the screens a bit more visually complex, e.g. by using a second tileset or something.

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 00:59:21 »
[spoilers=Mebbeh spoilers?]I liked the little intro thing, especially how everything lights up when you land. I also like the part where it says "I guess you can trust your eyes," then the black blocks next to the "can" disappear, revealing the word "can't". Little things like that are pretty cool.

But, as LPChip said, it's not groundbreaking or anything, but with practice, it could be a lot better. Also, you should probably add more decorations, mainly in the background. As an example, you could look at Drakkan's "Gaia" or my own "The Mysterious Grotto" or Nifflas' "The Machine". Notice how they use a background pattern. It adds a kind of depth to the game. Also, the cutscene where you release the light is...poorly done. I suggest downloading GIMP or Paint.net (they're free) and using that. If those are too complicated, you could always try your hand at custom objects and try to make a smooth transition with those. Also, I think it's a bit weird how, even when the light comes, the ground is still dark...

But, other than that, this is really well done for a first level! Just work on what I said above and this'll be pretty good! C)p[/spoiler]
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 11:11:43 »
[spoilers=Mebbeh spoilers?]
Epic fail.