[Environmental/Challenge] Elegance

• 64 Replies

Offline Vinterrun

• Schniggedi Schnapp die Daumen sind ab!
    • View Profile
Re: [Environmental/Challenge] Elegance
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2011, 04:30:35 »
Hello.

I have not abandoned anything! Please don't say I did. I've been having a lot of trouble with school lately - I'm not failing or anything, I'm just trying to do well. I recently started working on the level again, and I will have to admit that things are going very slowly. I'm getting the feeling I'm putting too much attention into details right now, and that they should be left for later. But one must take advantage of that sense of creativity and the rush of emotion - the level would not come out as well if I didn't immerse myself in each zone, one at a time.

I'm afraid of publishing another screen-shot in fear of doing what people criticize Hmpf for. I really don't think she should get too much criticism concerning her level is about 400 screens now? Perhaps even more. I, on the other hand, have a little over 50. It sounds low, I know. I'm quite sorry. So far, I've completed one zone.

In terms of level design, there will be about 13-15 zones, each having a different size (i.e. small/medium/large), and I am hoping that everything will top out at 350 screens or so.

Again, quite sorry about this, but I have abandoned nothing! And I won't. I was just feeling that people had lost interest and I didn't have enough material to constitute any meaningful posts.

I'm very very sorry. Didn't mean to insult you or anything. I'm glad to hear that you're still here. Take your time and fix the important aspects of live first.

It just happens often that people are looking for help and critics to abandon the whole thing without a word ^^
under re-construction:

Coming late:

Starwale *pun*

Zydragazum

« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2011, 04:47:15 »
Good to be back! C)

I thought it's about time I would update this project. I've had a lot of changing ideas about its direction, and at one point had constructed a plot that would be far better-served by a Cave Story level editor. That means that for the time being, I'm unsure what I'm doing, and my main purpose is to create, and more significantly, experiment. I'm trying to create something new that doesn't, at the same time, deviate too far from the original Nifflas-styled design.

As you've noticed, I am pretty lazy when it comes to this, working in bursts. I've considered releasing my level in parts rather than in an overall product that's overdue by years.

Alas, I am still alive. Here is a preview of how things are going. You deserve it.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 11:22:21 by Zydragazum »

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2011, 13:43:38 »
Wow, that is a very sweet non-normal tile set you have there!  I heartily approve!  I was liking your level before, but now I'm really excited.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2011, 14:09:11 »
It looks really good. I really hope that you'll release this level!

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2011, 15:51:22 »
This looks fantastic!

Don't suppose there's an ETA?

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2011, 21:41:40 »
...I've considered releasing my level in parts rather than in an overall product that's overdue by years. ...

I'd rather you release it as one big level. I don't mind waiting.

...I'm trying to create something new that doesn't, at the same time, deviate too far from the original Nifflas-styled design. ...

I don't know what advantages the Cave Story engine has that you are interested in, but there are a couple new Knytt Stories mods which may be helpful. GrayFace's Knytt Stories Extended includes Lua scripting which should mean you can make the game do whatever you want it too. I've released my unfinished mod which extends the original engine in ways that I hope are in keeping with the original feel.

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2011, 09:52:20 »
Is there a Cave Story engine???  Wow, maybe I need to look into that.

I can totally sympathies with the frustration of not being able to finish your level quickly.  I've been on mine latest for something like 6 months.  I'm probably a mere 5 hours from being done, but RL is demanding 99.8% of my time right now.  So, I poke at it when I can and simply enjoy the fact that I am making something I love.

Zydragazum

« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2011, 19:32:33 »
Don't suppose there's an ETA?
Sadly, I don't have one.

I don't know what advantages the Cave Story engine has that you are interested in, but there are a couple new Knytt Stories mods which may be helpful. GrayFace's Knytt Stories Extended includes Lua scripting which should mean you can make the game do whatever you want it too. I've released my unfinished mod which extends the original engine in ways that I hope are in keeping with the original feel.
Your work is very appreciable. I've seen the mod and it's brilliant. As for LUA scripting, I know nothing. A Cave Story engine would have been good for the eventual plot that I came to, which would prosper more from run-and-gun rpg-styled gaming, à la Cave Story fashion.

Is there a Cave Story engine???  Wow, maybe I need to look into that.
There are many third-party level editors. If you want to do any advanced editing, you need to learn assembly, which is very tedious programming. Also, thank you for your sympathies.

Semeurim

« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2011, 17:54:53 »
Oooh... Those are some beautiful screenshots.

Glad to hear you've not lost interest on this. Keep it up. :3

Offline Feline Monstrosity

• Pussy cat, pussy cat..
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2011, 19:51:53 »
Very glad to see that this isn't dead! Keep at it, and if you ever feel like you've completely lost interest then release the unfinished version anyway! I'm sure people would like to see it and it's much better than letting it rot on your harddrive.

But anyway, I'm gonna assume that you will finish it.
"In the world there is nothing more submissive and weak than water. Yet for attacking that which is hard and strong nothing can surpass it. "  ~Lao Tzu

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 07, 2011, 15:25:35 »
Still love this. :-)

Zydragazum

« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2012, 18:39:11 »
Hello. I am not dead.

I've been grinding gears slightly more for the past week or so, since the holiday season is about. However, my main computer and I have been separated, thereby preventing me from creating custom content. I've focused more on level design, and I've re-written multiple sections of the story. I've also added many details that I hope will create intrigue and depth in the story.

Thank you for your overwhelming support. It makes me happy and contributes to my willpower to finish this.

All I can post now is the following concept screenshot, which I have ideas for in the final game. I am certain it will make it. I can not edit it because my most updated tilesets are back on the computer. I trust that this suffices.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 19:15:53 by Zydragazum »

Offline Salmoneous

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2012, 18:44:53 »
This is great I really hope you'll finish it. If you don't at least post the unfinished version on the forum before leaving for good.