Re: [Challenge/Scenic/Epic Length - KS+] Dragon Myth
« Reply #75 on: August 21, 2015, 08:48:14 »
Oh man, I LEGIT CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS. :D

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
« Reply #76 on: October 09, 2015, 03:23:21 »
Can't wait for this. How much longer until it's going to be released? I mean, seriously. How long can beta-testers take on an epic level of this calibre? A long time to get it right, that's what.

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 09, 2015, 10:16:28 »
Been struggling to find time to watch through the hours of footage my betatesters sent me and to contemplate some of the bigger changes they've prompted (new graphics and a full redesign of one area are on the cards). I've been pretty busy with work, learning to drive, commitments to friends and church...

However, (this isn't exactly a good thing) I lost my job this week (see?) which is pretty lame, but I was warned it was a possibility a few weeks ago and I've been making some plans. It does mean I've suddenly got a lot more free time on my hands, which bodes well for this (though hopefully this won't be the case for too long). So I should be able to make time to blow off the dust, shake out the spiders and watch the last 4 hours of people bumping their heads against the overly-hard bits of this (shortly before making those bits harder easier).

I do want to complete the final level of 'Theme Hospital' first, however.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 10:18:37 by Talps »

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #78 on: October 09, 2015, 12:15:58 »
Good luck Talps, and thanks for the heads up. I too was wondering about how things're going.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #79 on: October 09, 2015, 12:58:38 »
Sucks to hear that, Talps. I'll get cracking on my contributions.

Offline bulbapuck

• One day hoping to become Venopuck
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 09, 2015, 15:18:36 »
Hope everything works out for you. I'm sure you'll find a new job in no time! :)
Emma fell down a well - Enviromental KS level inspired by Salmoneous/Elder
Level in the works: Whitebow Island

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 09, 2015, 21:52:12 »
Thanks all. :)

Yesterday Bulbapuck and I recorded him playing through one of my older levels together; 'Dragon Myth' was mentioned a few times so if you're the kind of person who likes to scrabble for scraps of information, you might enjoy watching the video.

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
« Reply #82 on: October 10, 2015, 01:59:28 »
Sorry to hear that, Talps. Hopefully things get better for you soon.

« Reply #83 on: November 10, 2015, 07:24:10 »
Sorry to hear about your job, Talps but I CAN'T WAIT to play this when you release it!!!

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 01, 2016, 00:25:10 »
Just played through the level. Taking time to edit a few screens (one of which really needed prettifying) and fumble over fixing a small typo in one cutscene, it took me a few hours. Hoping to get on with watching my testers' footage this weekend (finally! Sorry guys) and make a play for this.

I don't promise it's too close. In addition to watching and reacting my testers' videos, I've gotta ease the pain of the silly ending for silly people, and I want to completely rebuild the final area. And tweak the ending, though I don't know exactly how I want it to be. And I have the challenge of programming in a very large flagging exploit.

But one step at a time, I'll get there.

(Also, Happy 2016!)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 00:33:15 by Talps »

Offline Fubaka

• We are the music makers.
    • View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #85 on: January 01, 2016, 01:45:19 »
Whatever it takes, Talps!

If it makes you feel better, you are still practically infinitely closer to your release than I am to my next big level's release. If I were diligent, it'd still take me a year to complete from my current position.
Things to remember when writing figures of speech and sound:
The power of poetry comes from the ability to defy logic. Defy logic often.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

The other thing is the ability to be remembered. Love anything.

Love anything

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 15, 2016, 23:40:47 »
So where I stand...
There are five things left to do before I send my second beta out for testing.
1. I need to completely redesign and build the final area. I wasn't happy with my first attempt. My testers really weren't happy. So, take 2. I have a map of sorts that's given me a framework for the area that I'm happier with. I just need to get on with turning it into screens.
2. A forumite who will remain anonymous agreed to make the infamous cutscene for me; I'm waiting on that.
3. Another forumite was kind enough to agree to help me redesign one of the earlier areas which ought to be a lot lovelier. I'd like to get this implemented before the second beta.
4. I'm arguing with myself over whether I feel like putting in time to improve one of the other earlier areas that's kinda ugly. But it has like three iterations so it'd be an annoying number of screens to change.
5. Once everything else is ready I've set myself a rather daunting challenge that I want to keep secret; basically it will involve a lot of flagging and duplicating a lot of screens and I'm ever so slightly wondering if it's worth it and considering scrapping the idea. But I'd like to at least give it a go... maybe. And I think the few people who know about the idea are as excited about it as I was before I started thinking about how much work it would be.

I'm actually at the stage now where I'm getting really excited about my next epic-sized project (which will be a near-total remake of 'Eurydice'); it's been on the cards for a while (since around here). I've redrawn the Overworld map twice looking to reduce tedious backtracking, improve flow and guidance, and strengthen the plot. Then this week I've been putting a lot of thought in and yesterday had an epiphany regarding a great idea for the ending (the vague, non-committal ending of the original has always bugged me; this new idea is fantastic and I'm really looking forward to getting to it). I'm now really buzzing to get on with it, but of course 'Dragon Myth' needs finishing first. I've firmly told myself that I won't make any screens for it until 'Dragon Myth' is out for second beta, but that hasn't stopped me working on the story and writing scripts for events, scenes and information dumps. There are going to be elements of horror I've never written anything like before, and hopefully some powerful emotional moments; it's heavy subject matter, obviously.

Anyway, that is far too much about 'Eurydice'. But sitting on that feels a bit like sitting on a jet engine which I hope will power me to bang out the new finale for 'Dragon Myth' swiftly, especially now I have a plan I'm happier with. Then just waiting on others before I put in finishing touches. Hopefully the time between releasing second beta and final release will be brief. Then I'll see if Bulba wants to do a Let's Play/commentary together, and all will be wonderful!

Then village, valley, lighthouse, temple, caves, Land of the Dead... (I'm talking about 'Eurydice' again here. Sorry.)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 11:19:50 by Talps »

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
« Reply #87 on: January 16, 2016, 00:10:46 »
Great news! Hope you can push on through and get this beast finished up. :)

A new Eurydice would be super cool.

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 16, 2016, 00:27:11 »
Also 6. Battle Fubaka to decide once and for all who has the better spherical head.

Offline Fubaka

• We are the music makers.
    • View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #89 on: January 16, 2016, 03:32:45 »
Also 6. Battle Fubaka to decide once and for all who has the better spherical head.

I concede that fight to you Talps. You don't know what my head looks like under the mask.
Things to remember when writing figures of speech and sound:
The power of poetry comes from the ability to defy logic. Defy logic often.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

The other thing is the ability to be remembered. Love anything.

Love anything