[Challenge/Scenic/Epic Length - KS+] Dragon Myth

• 97 Replies

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
Re: [Challenge/Scenic/Epic Length - KS+] Dragon Myth
« Reply #60 on: July 28, 2015, 00:45:24 »
As of about 10 seconds ago, the secret area is finished. The reward for finding and completing the secret area isn't implemented yet, but I don't plan on making that until the first beta is out for testing.

I have one area to make from scratch and then a kind of epilogue section which will mostly be copy-pasting with a few set pieces to build and stick into the relevant spaces.
Plus a few more cutscenes to remake and a couple of new ones to build.

Still, the end is rapidly approaching and I can't wait to get this done and released. :D Exciting times!

I don't want to post any screenshots of what I've been working on recently as I want to keep the latter areas of the level as a surprise for the release.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 00:51:37 by Talps »

Offline Fubaka

• We are the music makers.
    • View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2015, 09:06:36 »
I'm still here! Don't forget to add me for beta testing.  :)
Things to remember when writing figures of speech and sound:
The power of poetry comes from the ability to defy logic. Defy logic often.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

The other thing is the ability to be remembered. Love anything.

Love anything

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2015, 19:21:15 »
Calm down dear, I haven't forgotten. ;)

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• Sorry excuse for a game designer
    • View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #64 on: July 29, 2015, 15:10:45 »
Based on what I'm seeing in this thread and Talps' previous works, this seems like it'll be an outstanding level. I've recently discovered egomassive's KS+ mod, but I haven't yet tried any big level made specially for it. Looks like this will be the perfect chance for me :D
Some KS levels by me:

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 08, 2015, 01:41:18 »
I do believe 'Dragon Myth' is going to become my favourite of all my levels. I'm so glad I didn't give up on it years ago!

I got the last two old cutscenes brought up to date over the last two days (one involves a surprisingly successful picture of two knytts hugging), and I just finished the tileset for the final area. Got a lot of screens to make and program but I have all the tools I need now. Also played through the level yesterday and made a lot of small graphical fixes and made a number of nasty screens a little easier - trying to do away with any obstacle that irritates or frustrates me, because odds are if I don't like it you won't like it either.

Oh, and I made another OCO to appear in just one screen. 8)

Um, I also have the script for the ending sorted, though I'm not sure how the final screen with play out exactly. That's a thing to work on. My ending is like a jigsaw puzzle; I have the edges sorted and now I just have to fill in the middle.

Filling in the middle involves making lots of screens. The big finale is a little complex and I have to work out how I'm going to spoon-feed all the elements to the player so they understand what they're trying to do and why. Plus it's going to be a fairly involved sequence with lots of shifts throwing you around; need to make sure that doesn't become too confusing.

This is starting to feel tantalisingly close to completion...
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 02:36:59 by Talps »

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 13, 2015, 19:35:29 »
Quick poll: red dragon or green dragon?

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #67 on: August 13, 2015, 20:49:42 »
If it's a matter of blind opinion, I gotta say red. I don't know why, but red dragons just look so much cooler to me :P
Some KS levels by me:

Offline Healy

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 13, 2015, 22:29:32 »
Green dragons just seem eviller to me. If that's what you're going for, then great!

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #69 on: August 14, 2015, 02:37:38 »
For unknown reasons, I've been picturing a red dragon when ever you talk about a dragon for this level.

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 16, 2015, 16:52:20 »
Hmm... I'm still not decided.

In other news, 9 3 1 new screens, 8 copy/pasted screens with minor edits, two bits of tilesetting, 1 cutscene, an ingame cutscene to write and program and a playthrough or two and then I'll be ready for beta-testing...
The tense music of my finale is really building the pressure. :P

Edit: So close... Stupid having to go to work every day!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 10:06:11 by Talps »

Offline pfrangip

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 16, 2015, 21:08:48 »
Green dragons are more traditional, more organic and natural. They're creatures, not necessarily magical, but if they are, they're "one with the magical world." Most medieval tales or stories I would picture Green Dragons, like Beowulf. Earthsea I picture Green Dragons.

With the exception of Orm Embar, who I pictured as red. Red is either like a royal Dragon, or an explicitly fire Dragon, or an evil dragon. Maybe a mystical magical Dragon would be red. Smaug was red since he's, regal, magical, and evil.

My preference, based on what little I know about your level, would be green.

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 19, 2015, 23:47:22 »
Ladies and gents...

'Tis done.

I'm gonna leave it to sit for a few days and then play through it a time or two. Once that's done I'll be chasing down beta-testers, possibly (though probably not, if I'm honest) with an elephant gun (though actually that may prove a good incentive to get people testing... I think that the brackets in this sentence say a lot about the link between creativity and not getting enough sleep). There are a few people who have already offered or who I deliberately intend to ask. If any of those refuse I may open the way to volunteers here. So if you fancy helping feel free to post here or PM me to offer. Please bear in mind:

• I reserve the right to be choosy about beta-testers. If you offer to test and I turn you down please don't take it personally; it may be there's someone I know a little better, have had test for me before, has helped with or contributed to the level in some way, or has a skill or knowledge that I'm interested in exploiting.
  • Offering to beta-test is offering to do me a favour but it's one I take seriously. It's not just a chance for you to preview the level. I'll be expecting you to play through the level on two separate occasions (with me making edits between the two) and to provide really good feedback about what you like and dislike in the level.
  • If you have the means to record your playthrough and upload the video somewhere relatively private it'd definitely be a big help to me!

Phew! I need sleep!

(Oh, and I chose green. Thanks all for helping me decide!)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 00:27:18 by Talps »

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #73 on: August 21, 2015, 01:41:34 »
...possibly (though probably not, if I'm honest) with an elephant gun

Just in case, I'd like to remind everybody here that elephants are protected species. Especially white ones. Especially the ones that are (somehow) wearing a hawaiian shirt. Especially me. Please don't shoot.
Some KS levels by me:

Offline pfrangip

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 21, 2015, 02:57:56 »
Ladies and gents...

'Tis done.

I'm gonna leave it to sit for a few days and then play through it a time or two. Once that's done I'll be chasing down beta-testers, possibly (though probably not, if I'm honest) with an elephant gun (though actually that may prove a good incentive to get people testing... I think that the brackets in this sentence say a lot about the link between creativity and not getting enough sleep). There are a few people who have already offered or who I deliberately intend to ask. If any of those refuse I may open the way to volunteers here. So if you fancy helping feel free to post here or PM me to offer. Please bear in mind:

• I reserve the right to be choosy about beta-testers. If you offer to test and I turn you down please don't take it personally; it may be there's someone I know a little better, have had test for me before, has helped with or contributed to the level in some way, or has a skill or knowledge that I'm interested in exploiting.
  • Offering to beta-test is offering to do me a favour but it's one I take seriously. It's not just a chance for you to preview the level. I'll be expecting you to play through the level on two separate occasions (with me making edits between the two) and to provide really good feedback about what you like and dislike in the level.
  • If you have the means to record your playthrough and upload the video somewhere relatively private it'd definitely be a big help to me!

Phew! I need sleep!

(Oh, and I chose green. Thanks all for helping me decide!)

Excellent news!!! I can't wait to see the final product!! This is big!  :D  :D

Time to ride through the forum on horseback proclaiming it!