Knytts at Work: custom characters

• 12 Replies

Offline epoxy

• View Profile
Knytts at Work: custom characters
« on: July 08, 2010, 03:34:33 »
Hello. I've long been a Knytt fan but am new to the community.

For some time now I've been building a Knytt Stories level: plotting its maps and drawing its tilesets. A few weeks, I got bored of the maps and tilesets and decided to animate a few objects I wanted to put in my level. I got carried away, and "a few objects" turned into "a bunch of characters and creatures." Drawing knytts is too much fun! In fact, I must stop for a while, or else I will not finish the rest of my level. And I would like to complete it.

So: now I have more objects than I know what to do with. Eventually I'll put most of them in my Knytt Story and when this level is published, all the custom objects it contains will be available for use in any Knytt Story. But it will be a while yet before that's done, and in the meantime I don't want the objects I made to sit unused. Especially these guys - I think other level authors could have some fun with them. So please, fellow storytellers, use (or enhance!) these.

I prepared a package of all 6 containing their sequences, symbols, and animation settings. To use them, download the .zip instead of the images.

And to see them in action, download the little (two-screen) level I made to show them off.

And this guy, who isn't working, but seems ready to.

Offline RunMan

• View Profile
Re: Knytts at Work: custom characters
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 11:04:51 »
Great work! The COs are so detailed and work so smoothly. Agree with Salm.

Offline Grookie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 11:48:30 »
They are perfect, there must be a lot(!) of work - very good job! ;)
:turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle:
Spoiler: Archievements (click to show/hide)

Offline Yoeri

• Normality is relative
    • View Profile
    • Bumper's business
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 12:31:11 »
That's just amazing. You clearly put a lot of time into this. Thumbs up!

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 12:41:34 »
awesome. the welding guy is so cool! C)
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs:

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 14:41:25 »
So terrific! And the test level has a strong atmosphere. Looking forward to your level!

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 17:51:38 »
The Force is strong in this one.

Offline BioShock

• Yes, I do like Bioshock
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2010, 05:41:38 »
Whoa i was shocked when i saw how good these were, very nice job! i love 'em :D

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2010, 21:03:41 »
So amazing! They run so smoothly because of all the frames you used, it's amazing! One thing: I don't thing you put the CO code anywhere but the test level.
Lurk more.

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2010, 00:42:31 »
Thank you, it's awesome i needed it !
The Frenchy

Offline Firecat

• Every bit is important.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2010, 05:35:55 »
Woah, the FPS make it looks like a flash animation rather than a KS custom object. Nice job!
There's 110011 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary, Those who don't, and those who confuse it with ASCII.

Offline epoxy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2010, 15:42:00 »
Thank you all for the positive feedback!

Quote from: Miss Paula
awesome. the welding guy is so cool! C)
Thanks, I am particularly proud of him!

Quote from: Purple Pineapple
So amazing! They run so smoothly because of all the frames you used, it's amazing! One thing: I don't thing you put the CO code anywhere but the test level.
In the .zip I included a .txt named "Anim Settings". This contains the c.o. code without the preceding data of the World.txt file.

Quote from: Toudou1620
Thank you, it's awesome i needed it !
Thanks! For what will you use them?

Quote from: Firecat
Woah, the FPS make it looks like a flash animation rather than a KS custom object. Nice job!
Thanks, though I don't think they look like Flash animations. Rendering an (antialiased) animated c.o. in Flash is an interesting idea, though, especially if 3rd-party Saira levels become a reality.
That's the problem, though, isn't it? Many of the extant custom objects look "like custom objects" - in other words, like they don't belong with the rest of Knytt Stories. My intention here was to avoid that. For these characters I closely imitated (even copied) the appearance of Juni and the other Knytts, and gave them many frames to make them consistent with the objects "native" to Knytt Stories, all of which animate smoothly.